Total write off

Guest Deleted member

42 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

A tactical change is needed. Most Premiership teams play with wingers and the top teams in the country value pace very very highly. Why don't we? 

Especially given Carlos past history of playing them pre-Wednesday.

Indeed...when you look at Wallace, Buckley, Matias, McManaman, Reach, he clearly still wants that type of player. 

But have signing the forwards we have stopped him playing the way that would suit them?

There's very few teams playing the old fashioned way now...not without having two monsters in midfield. and for all they are, Lee, Bannan and Hutchinson are not the beasts that would be required to play with two out and out wingers...

52 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

A tactical change is needed. Most Premiership teams play with wingers and the top teams in the country value pace very very highly. Why don't we? 

This isn't true. 

Edited by flo

Huddersfield Town at Hillsborough.

Reading at Wembley.

This is what still keeps on playing on my mind, we will probably never get a better chance of Premier League football again.

Considering the wealth of attacking talent we have at the club, this is one hell of a missed opportunity, probably bigger than losing at Wembley last season.

It'll probably bug me this until the football starts again in August.

Under CC Rhodes and winnall will both become poor players.

We will never go up with the likes of nuhui and semedo.

We cant use wingers properly, it will finish reach as a player

Next season will be like watching paint dry again

2 minutes ago, ViolaOwls said:

We will never go up with the likes of nuhui and semedo.

I agree with this but semedo was used because we had no alternative but to actually choice the big lump over winnall whos scored a fair few is absolutely mental if you ask me

52 minutes ago, stocksyuto said:

Over the whole season it tells you something when bannan hs been a passenger through most of it then is the best player during the play off semi final game we have an issue with consistency and cc is to blame for it he gets negative when it comes to weekday games etc it needs fixing for next season

Or

Bannan has manfully played as a one-man central midfield with Hutch playing 20 yards too deep.

Pundits, away fans and neutrals regularly pick Bannan out as our best player.

Easily one of our best, and one of our most important.

3 minutes ago, iliveinthenow said:

We scored 6 goals less actually.

Equal on goals conceded. 

And that included a long period before either Forestieri or Hooper arrived at the club when Carlos was still messing around trying to find an effective group of players.

8 minutes ago, someone in my head said:

I agree we need pace in midfield, but we also need someone who can Marshall the team when things start to go awry. There is a great team spirit, but we seem to dissolve into 11 individuals at times. I would consider putting Hutchinson in the back 4 and making him captain.

I think Hutchinson will be in the back 4 next season. We must have targets to replace him in midfield so we need to get them in.

Carlos has been his own worst enemy..........................he steadfastly refuses to pick certain players (which leads me to believe he had nothing to do with their recruitment)  and continually picks others whether they have played good, bad or indifferent.

Abdi, McManaman, Buckley, Winnall.........................all players that the vast majority of clubs in our division would LOVE to have in their squad , but , with the occasional exception of Winnall , all players that Carlos ignores week in, week out.

Just hope next season we go for automatic from the word go,keep the top 2 within insight not be out of it by the end of October . we've got to avoid those disappointing early season midweek games Burton away etc

The players we have are good enough, with the exception of a replacement for Loovens, but theres no consistency within team selections.  You will always have to make the odd change due to injury/suspensions but as a manager CC needs to find his best 11 and stick to it (this needs to be done early too).  We also seem to be happy with trying to keep posesion and sitting back on a 1-0 lead, taking off an attacking minded player and replacing him with a sideways or backward passer is only asking for trouble.

Abdi could be key to us next season, used properly and with a full pre-season we will be a better team, negative tactics have to stop though, yes we accrued more points, but how many did we lose when sitting back inviting teams to come at us? Defending starts from the front, high press, strikers getting the ball back high up the field and not sitting back.

We have players who can play wide, we have good full backs who can bomb on Hunt, Palmer, Pudil and Reach (when used there) if theres no out and out wingers utilise these players to give width and organise cover to drop in behind them.

We can easily be challenging for a top 2 place next year and must go out all guns blazing to aim for that, only problem is we cannot and will not do that without an attack minded team which play to our strengths.

Jordan Rhodes, Sam Winnall, Steven Fletcher and Gary Hooper are capable, all proven goal scorers at this level, but only proven with service, which they've not had this season.

Onward and upwards, its the only way we can go ..........

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

I've said it a few times now but we need to change tactically in my opinion which would actually bring out the best in existing players rather than completely writing them off. 

To me you have to look at how we can supply 5 top strikers much more regularly. For me the answer is wingers, wingers that keep out wide and have pace. 

You have to look at giving the midfield an option to through ball, to drive forwards. There's not enough pace and movement for them... unless our full backs are bombing on. The answer is wingers with pace to stretch a team and get round the back.

Finally, our full backs get criticised. But in my opinion they do the hardest and most tiring job in the team. They are basically our only attacking threat out wide, the only 2 players that generally give us real width and pace. Yet they've got to sprint back after every attack. Give them some support by having wingers in front of them. 

Agree with every word. 

We have the players , we arguably have the best strike force in the championship ,but they are wasted in our formation. 

Rhodes is the best striker the championship has seen in the last decade , but we must build the team around him to play to his strengths. Winnall brings the best out of him. 

We need some pace on the wings and someone who can supply the quality Rhodes thrives off. Shoehorning  three centre midfielders in a 4-4-2 does not work and never will. If Carlos stays he either needs to choose two from Lee, Bannan and Hutch , or change his system to accommodate all three. 

We are short of quality at centre half and i think Loovens lack of pace is worrying. 

But for me , we meust build the team to play to Rhodes strengths . The lad is proven quality , but he aint going to score in the current set up. 

I said in another thread we need two pacey outlets, and a strong central midfield player able to release the likes of Lee and Bannan in a more attacking way. Having read through a few replies in this thread, I will add a CB to that list too. Whilst Loovens reads the game well, we should probably utilise him as backup, along with Sasso - who I think has shown some promise.

If DC could just thrown money at it, we would have gone up in the first season. FFP means he can't, so it will take time to build a team - but it is a team we now need, not an array of individual talent.

Edited by ChapSmurf