Total write off

Guest Deleted member

Agreed..but not going to Wembley hasn't made me suicidal and wanting CC gone lol like some and what happened Wednesday is what makes football football. 

Good times ahead and I'm looking forwards to another Championship season. Love the competition and strength of teams right the way through...and we have our neighbours to take 6 points from as a bonus, in our 150th year :manager:

Just now, Dronny Owl said:

I don't think the first post is absolute rubbish as Ramone puts it, what some people fail to see is this year no matter where we came aside from Newcastle and Brighton this years competition was not of the quality expected, you can bet your bottom dollar the likes of Villa, Leeds, Derby and Norwich plus those coming down won't be the same next year. And the expectation of what we will do given our last 2 years and the expectations of the chairman will only add to the frustrations if we don't deliver. 

You're judging the teams by their name again and not on their performance this season. 

83 points - Reading

81 points - Huddersfield

Thats better quality than what we faced last yeatr. FACT

3 minutes ago, ramone said:

You're judging the teams by their name again and not on their performance this season. 

83 points - Reading

81 points - Huddersfield

Thats better quality than what we faced last yeatr. FACT

OK cheers for your input 

1 hour ago, hatcheeks said:

A lot of people saying we need a new CM. A beast, a general, a ball carrier etc. If we do sign this type of player then surely we need to sell a couple out of Lee, BB, Hutch, Abdi, Jones as only 1 of these will partner the new CM.  We should only play 2 CMs in a 4 4 2 shouldn't we?

Id have ideally

Lee/Izzy Brown

Bannan/ new imposing CM

Hutch to CB

Move on Abdi and Jones

Guest Deleted member
13 minutes ago, modboy said:

and we don't get the "losers" money from Wembley at least

As I understand it - we do.

All of the gate receipts from the 4 semi finals and the final are split 3 ways between those who don't get promotion. TV money goes to the EFL

Just now, Grandad said:

As I understand it - we do.

All of the gate receipts from the 4 semi finals and the final are split 3 ways between those who don't get promotion. TV money goes to the EFL

oh right, just thought it was the playoff loser who gets the play off final revenue (if agreed to by the winners)

Guest Deleted member

I think that forms part of the gentlemans agreement

I may be wrong - the official rules from the EFL suggest its dealt with differently.

2 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

You mean the season where we finished higher, more points, same clean sheets...like a disastrous season of unheard proportion   lol 

You have your opinion and others, including ex-pros, think Wednesday with the squad we have should have played better.

Getting to the play offs and losing was a wasted opportunity - 9 months of graft and a smattering of luck thrown away. Some would say that this season that is disastrous - certainly when compared with last season as this year we had a different level of expectation. Just like finishing 5th in the Premier League would be terrible for Arsenal but amazing for Burnley.  

I thought there was a paucity of ambition shown in the away leg that gave Huddersfield a bit of a boost even though they didn't score. It was no tactical masterclass - it was painfully negative.  Given we have better players than Huddersfield of course they found it hard to break us down - but it gave them confidence they could match us. That's all with hindsight of course.

Having said that I think it would be harsh to sack a bloke who has taken us into the play offs 2 years running - albeit by boring the arse off me his year. Maybe CC will have another rethink and turn at least partially back to the flowing stuff we played after a slow start last season. I'd give that a thumbs up. Mind you I thought sacking Gray and Megson was harsh and although we don't know how they would have worked out as managers in the longer run there's no way you can argue those decisions were a big mistake. Plus a huge success like Big Jack couldn't get us promoted to Div One - it took a new broom in Wilko to finish the job.  Maybe that's what we need here.

It's not a decision I envy Chansiri. If CC does get the push or walk - which I think is likely - it'll simply be a case of The King is Dead, Long Live the King and fingers crossed the new man will not need to rip it all up and start again.  

4 hours ago, AyrshireOwl said:

The majority of that "£20 million" was on three players.

Abdi for £3m who was injured

Reach for £5m who played the majority of the season and came on after only 5 minutes

Rhodes for £10m which we actually haven't paid yet remember, who also came on.

I don't understand this obsession with people thinking because we spent money we should automatically be miles better and should be going up.

Villa, Norwich spent more and were nowhere, Derby roughly equivalent to us were nowhere.

We finished where I predicted to finish, I thought Newcastle, Brighton and Norwich would be too strong. 

Wildly inflated fees.  Nowhere near reality.

25 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

Wildly inflated fees.  Nowhere near reality.

reality? welcome to modern football

Abdi was not overpriced, and has been unlucky with injuries. he was coming into some form before the one that ended his season.

was Reach steep? probably but he is a young english footballer who had a very good season with Preston which inflated his price. £5m was too much but not every signing can be a hooper or forestieri type coup. I'll not complain just because the club got one wrong.

and with Rhodes costing £10m, that is simply modern football. He signed with Blackburn for £8m, Boro £12m. look at other top strikers in this division, McCormack went to Fulham for £11m and then Villa for £12m, Hogan cost £12m. Gayle equivelant. goal scoring strikers cost a lot of money now.

1 minute ago, AyrshireOwl said:

reality? welcome to modern football

Abdi was not overpriced, and has been unlucky with injuries. he was coming into some form before the one that ended his season.

was Reach steep? probably but he is a young english footballer who had a very good season with Preston which inflated his price. £5m was too much but not every signing can be a hooper or forestieri type coup. I'll not complain just because the club got one wrong.

and with Rhodes costing £10m, that is simply modern football. He signed with Blackburn for £8m, Boro £12m. look at other top strikers in this division, McCormack went to Fulham for £11m and then Villa for £12m, Hogan cost £12m. Gayle equivelant. goal scoring strikers cost a lot of money now.

We've not paid/are about to pay owt like the fees you're quoting.  Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

10 hours ago, TheEnchanter said:

I've said it a few times now but we need to change tactically in my opinion which would actually bring out the best in existing players rather than completely writing them off. 

To me you have to look at how we can supply 5 top strikers much more regularly. For me the answer is wingers, wingers that keep out wide and have pace. 

You have to look at giving the midfield an option to through ball, to drive forwards. There's not enough pace and movement for them... unless our full backs are bombing on. The answer is wingers with pace to stretch a team and get round the back.

Finally, our full backs get criticised. But in my opinion they do the hardest and most tiring job in the team. They are basically our only attacking threat out wide, the only 2 players that generally give us real width and pace. Yet they've got to sprint back after every attack. Give them some support by having wingers in front of them. 

A tactical change is needed. Most Premiership teams play with wingers and the top teams in the country value pace very very highly. Why don't we? 

So, what you are basically saying is wingers then! 

10 hours ago, Grandad said:

This week.

Spent Monday and Tuesday basically passing the time - Wednesday couldn't concentrate on work at all - and then yesterday sat staring into space, completely gutted. 

Still am. 

So near and yet so far. Progress undoubtably. Higher in the league, more points, more goals, overall squad improved, our better players tied into long term contracts, and other squad fillers due to leave this summer. Nobody can surely argue that we aren't a whole lot stronger than where we were this time last year.

So its on into the summer, and hopefully not too many changes. Our much criticised defence once again kept more clean sheets than we have ever been used to - but I still think we need a better player to partner Tom Lees and we really really need to look at quality full backs. I think we are weak in the centre of midfield - certainly when injuries bite.

Other than that - I'd make minimal changes - keep as much of the team as we can together and the management team too. Carlos is more and more aware of the challenge and the division now - I'd really not be looking to change.  Regroup, enjoy a full pre season with pretty much the full squad together and we go again... Play to Rhodes strengths. I think Abdi could be huge for us next year.

Hopefully I'll be over Wednesday night by then

Still quiet, can't enjoy a joke. Not snapped at Mrs though she fully understands and shares my sorrow. 60 years of rolling with knocks, setbacks and downright robbery have allowed my immune system to counter well. But Wednesday the 20 minute Purple patch after we scored convinced me we were on our way. That's why the hurt this time was so much more. But hey, we are all still here to fight another day, CC's statement was welcome and provided a bit of a fillip our humility will diminish, our arrogance will grow and come August we will be MASSIVE once more ! 

9 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Ironically our midfield was more balanced because of injuries to players

Yes, that's one of the real indictments of CC's management this season. He almost got given his best team on a plate due to injuries. His favourites regain fitness and it's back to square pegs in round holes. A top quality (championship!) manager would have got autos with this squad. 

3 hours ago, Sham67 said:

We've not paid/are about to pay owt like the fees you're quoting.  Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

How do you know this? And, assuming you do, would you like to enlighten us with the actual fees, please?