Total write off

Guest Deleted member

29 minutes ago, iliveinthenow said:

We scored 6 goals less actually.

Equal on goals conceded. 

Yep. Despite Rhodes, Winnall and Fletcher coming in, and only Joao departing, we scored six less than last season's very moderate total.

Need upgrades on

two fullbacks

Pacey left winger to fight for a place with Reach

CM - Mooy perhaps?

That should do it imo though a new CB to partner Lees would be desirable, someone who can score for setpieces

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

I'm confused

For the best part of this season Ive been hearing that our tactics this season werent as good as our tactics last season. Now some are saying our manager is too stubborn to change the tactics. Which is it?

What ever suits the agenda of the post... 

51 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

Huddersfield Town at Hillsborough.

Reading at Wembley.

This is what still keeps on playing on my mind, we will probably never get a better chance of Premier League football again.

Considering the wealth of attacking talent we have at the club, this is one hell of a missed opportunity, probably bigger than losing at Wembley last season.

It'll probably bug me this until the football starts again in August.

Here it is again

Reading - 83 points 

Huddersfield - 81 points

Why is this easy? They are in the play offs on merit. their name or past history doesn't come into it. 

1 hour ago, TheEnchanter said:

I've said it a few times now but we need to change tactically in my opinion which would actually bring out the best in existing players rather than completely writing them off. 

To me you have to look at how we can supply 5 top strikers much more regularly. For me the answer is wingers, wingers that keep out wide and have pace. 

You have to look at giving the midfield an option to through ball, to drive forwards. There's not enough pace and movement for them... unless our full backs are bombing on. The answer is wingers with pace to stretch a team and get round the back.

Finally, our full backs get criticised. But in my opinion they do the hardest and most tiring job in the team. They are basically our only attacking threat out wide, the only 2 players that generally give us real width and pace. Yet they've got to sprint back after every attack. Give them some support by having wingers in front of them. 

A tactical change is needed. Most Premiership teams play with wingers and the top teams in the country value pace very very highly. Why don't we? 

I think we need a couple of wingers.

lol

12 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Yep. Despite Rhodes, Winnall and Fletcher coming in, and only Joao departing, we scored six less than last season's very moderate total.

We finished 2 places higher in the league - you dont have a point

4 minutes ago, ramone said:

Here it is again

Reading - 83 points 

Huddersfield - 81 points

Why is this easy? They are in the play offs on merit. their name or past history doesn't come into it. 

Here what is again??

I'm not denying those sides are where they are on merit, what I'm saying is that when you look at the sides that we're in the playoff mix up last season (Derby, Hull, Brighton), these 2 games that we needed to win to get promoted are not as difficult.

Reading and Huddersfield with all due respect do not have the quality or strength in depth that any of those sides had and I would also argue that we have a stronger squad and better starting 11 than both these teams.

You give anybody the option of winning those 2 games to get promoted at the start of the season and the majority on here would fancy our chances of going up.

But that's gone now, we've let a great opportunity slip and the sides coming down this season will not only have the parachute payments but they'll also have the money from the new tv deal, the first time that sides relegated from the Premier League will have AT LEAST £100m PLUS parachute payments.

For the above reasons I don't think we'll have a better chance of going up than winning a match at Hillsborough against Huddersfield and a match at Wembley against Reading.

Really didn't think that needed explaining.

Just now, TrickyTrev said:

Here what is again??

I'm not denying those sides are where they are on merit, what I'm saying is that when you look at the sides that we're in the playoff mix up last season (Derby, Hull, Brighton), these 2 games that we needed to win to get promoted are not as difficult.

Reading and Huddersfield with all due respect do not have the quality or strength in depth that any of those sides had and I would also argue that we have a stronger squad and better starting 11 than both these teams.

You give anybody the option of winning those 2 games to get promoted at the start of the season and the majority on here would fancy our chances of going up.

But that's gone now, we've let a great opportunity slip and the sides coming down this season will not only have the parachute payments but they'll also have the money from the new tv deal, the first time that sides relegated from the Premier League will have AT LEAST £100m PLUS parachute payments.

For the above reasons I don't think we'll have a better chance of going up than winning a match at Hillsborough against Huddersfield and a match at Wembley against Reading.

Really didn't think that needed explaining.

All of your post is absolute rubbish

A post about this being 'the best we'll ever get' garbage. At the start of the season, if you'd have said we'd be playing Reading/Huddersfield to get to the Prem it wouldn't have made me feel any more/less positive about our chances. They got to play offs over 46 games in a season. That means they're both one of the best teams in the league that season. Irrespective of who it is. The levels are the same. No different what so ever. You're basing your opinion on who they are and how they've done in the past. Thats completely irrelevant. 

Nativity and arrogance at its finest

43 minutes ago, modboy said:

but didn't make Wembley so depends how you measure it

Financially we are much worse off

And factor in the amount of people who won't renew because of the turgid football they had to suffer

12 minutes ago, ramone said:

We finished 2 places higher in the league - you dont have a point

This is a bit moot as well. Whilst I don't deny that it is technically true, last season Carlos had only just arrived at the club and set about almost totally dismantling then reconstructing the squad. It was widely acknowledged that the first month or two were only about finding a formation that worked. We had a period when we really struggled. Things started to turn after the Burnley away game and when Foresteri then Hooper arrived at the club. So we had to make up that lost time which we did in pretty spectacular fashion.

This season Carlos does not have that excuse to ride on. The mitigating factor that you rightly pointed out in another thread is that this season the injuries have be horrendous. But the points difference and diffence in league positions are negligible all things taken into account.

I'm not gloomy i'm actually optimistic, but ive seen the same issues for 2 years now and they needs addressing.

Assuming we dont lose key players.......

We need a physically stronger midfield player who can win and also carry the ball. We lose too many 2nd balls and 50/50 balls. (I dont buy all this 'bouncer on the dance floor rubbish, we are not Barca, we dont have Messi and Iniesta etc and we play in the Championship where we will come up against physical teams)

We need a pacey winger/striker , who can deliver a reliable cross, to put pressure on Reach and Wallace etc

We need a med-long term replacement for Loovens, who's legs are surely tiring.

The rest ie how we set-up, play and break down opposing teams, is down to the coach, whoever that will be, but we need to create more chances for our strikers and carry more threat.

1 hour ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

Has Carlos done enough with the squad he has though?

Yes. I don't know about anyone else but I expected us to finish around 4th, and be closer to the top two that we were last year. 

The problem I think people have here is we're comparing our spending to the other teams in the play-offs. This is obviously because Reading and Huddersfield got there on a "shoestring" budget, and fans expected with our spending to win the play-offs over the case.

However, people aren't looking at the league as a whole and how well we've done in compared to Derby, Norwich, Villa who all spend the same amount, if not more on players this season and weren't close to us.

We've done how I expected, so I can't complain. I do believe next year though we have to kick on again and top 2 must be the main aim.

Just now, ChinaOwl said:

This is a bit moot as well. Whilst I don't deny that it is technically true, last season Carlos had only just arrived at the club and set about almost totally dismantling then reconstructing the squad. It was widely acknowledged that the first month or two were only about finding a formation that worked. We had a period when we really struggled. Things started to turn after the Burnley away game and when Foresteri then Hooper arrived at the club. So we had to make up that lost time which we did in pretty spectacular fashion.

This season Carlos does not have that excuse to ride on. The mitigating factor that you rightly pointed out in another thread is that this season the injuries have be horrendous. But the points difference and diffence in league positions are negligible all things taken into account.

So Carlos is a victim of his own success last season? 

Had it been the other way round for example. We lost in the semi last year and lost in the final this year I guarantee that there wouldn't this meltdown. 

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

Huddersfield Town at Hillsborough.

Reading at Wembley.

This is what still keeps on playing on my mind, we will probably never get a better chance of Premier League football again.

Considering the wealth of attacking talent we have at the club, this is one hell of a missed opportunity, probably bigger than losing at Wembley last season.

It'll probably bug me this until the football starts again in August.

That's what everyone said last season. This year was going to be the toughest ever etc etc.

Personally next season I don't see any teams who we need to fear in terms of going for the autos. I don't see anyone being as strong as Newcastle or Brighton.

1 minute ago, ramone said:

So Carlos is a victim of his own success last season? 

Had it been the other way round for example. We lost in the semi last year and lost in the final this year I guarantee that there wouldn't this meltdown. 

I don't make him a victim of anything. In another thread, I pointed out why I am absolutely ambivalent about his position. I can see positives and I can see negatives. Ultimately I am undecided but willing to give him at least another season to have a bash at automatic promotion - and he would have my full blessing and support in trying to achieve it. It is methodology that I question, not his ability.

11 minutes ago, ramone said:

All of your post is absolute rubbish

A post about this being 'the best we'll ever get' garbage. At the start of the season, if you'd have said we'd be playing Reading/Huddersfield to get to the Prem it wouldn't have made me feel any more/less positive about our chances. They got to play offs over 46 games in a season. That means they're both one of the best teams in the league that season. Irrespective of who it is. The levels are the same. No different what so ever. You're basing your opinion on who they are and how they've done in the past. Thats completely irrelevant. 

Nativity and arrogance at its finest

I can see that you're getting a bit upset by some of the posts on here judging by the replies you're making, I would however advise you not to take posts that are critical of the club and the manager so personally.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, mine is that when you look at the playing squads at Reading, Huddersfield and Wednesday, I happen to think we have the better players. A view also shared by many others as well as the likes of Keith Andrews and Andy Hinchcliffe.

It's not "absolute rubbish" as you have put it, nor do I base my opinion on how these clubs have done in the past as you have claimed. It's based purely on the expenditure spent by the 3 sides compared with each other as well as the players at each club and their track records and level of performance at this level. 

I stand by my assumption that the playoffs were more difficult last season and will be more difficult next, no need to get so upset about it.

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

I can see that you're getting a bit upset by some of the posts on here judging by the replies you're making, I would however advise you not to take posts that are critical of the club and the manager so personally.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, mine is that when you look at the playing squads at Reading, Huddersfield and Wednesday, I happen to think we have the better players. A view also shared by many others as well as the likes of Keith Andrews and Andy Hinchcliffe.

It's not "absolute rubbish" as you have put it, nor do I base my opinion on how these clubs have done in the past as you have claimed. It's based purely on the expenditure spent by the 3 sides compared with each other as well as the players at each club and their track records and level of performance at this level. 

I stand by my assumption that the playoffs were more difficult last season and will be more difficult next, no need to get so upset about it.

Not getting upset. Just sick of seeing the arrogance of some people that are saying 'oh it was only Huddersfield and Reading', we should have walked it.

Its not the case at all.