Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

40 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Im also glad we have invested in a striker who cant take penalties in a pressure situation but can do it when it really doesnt matter. 

Personally I'm disappointed that he can't.

But I'm pleased that he's prepared to admit this and let someone with more confidence step up.

46 minutes ago, billyblack said:

You asked if i believe there are players who struggle to score from the spot in training. You inferred that they didnt.

I disagreed saying there are some who do and do who dont. They arent all equal. I dont need names and facts. Its just true.

They dont all have the ability to take a good penalty in training. I disagree point blank. Some will be better than the others. Hence why they are penalty takers on match day. Otherwise just give it anyone. 

Putting words in my mouth again mate.

You said that there were players who struggled and I asked you to name them. You didn't.

I merely said that as professional footballers they all have the ability to take a good penalty in training. Are you trying to tell me that Wednesday employs players that can't do this?

Plus I've never said they are all equal, far from it. I agree, some will be better than others.

But I maintain that as professionals they can all take a good penalty in training.

Put them in a high pressure situation and it comes down to their mental ability to reproduce their technical ability.

And that usually boils down to confidence.

47 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I dont need names and facts. Its just true.

I'm pleased for you.

54 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Im also glad we have invested in a striker who cant take penalties in a pressure situation but can do it when it really doesnt matter. 

Most players have chinks in their amour and we have found out (unnecessarily IMO) one of Rhodes'. IMO though he is a proven quality scorer; the type we have been crying out for in the recent past. I  can live with this foible as I'm confident that the overall package will be very good for us next season.

58 minutes ago, Kanye West said:

I thought at the time making this thread it was really poor of him, but looking back if a player doesn't feel up to taking one I'd rather see someone more confident step up, it's by far the more sensible thing to do than make him take one. 

Is it time to put this thread to bed? It's not going to achieve anything. 

Well nothing positive that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Kanye West said:

I thought at the time making this thread it was really poor of him, but looking back if a player doesn't feel up to taking one I'd rather see someone more confident step up, it's by far the more sensible thing to do than make him take one. 

Is it time to put this thread to bed? It's not going to achieve anything. 

Totally agree close this thread. He didn't feel confident on the night, he hadn't played that much and he missed the last one he took. Some scenarios people are more nervous than others, last year's play off final I didn't feel nerves at all watching, but the game against Huddersfield I could hardly breathe and that was in normal time. Lots of factors. 

18 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Putting words in my mouth again mate.

You said that there were players who struggled and I asked you to name them. You didn't.

I merely said that as professional footballers they all have the ability to take a good penalty in training. Are you trying to tell me that Wednesday employs players that can't do this?

Plus I've never said they are all equal, far from it. I agree, some will be better than others.

But I maintain that as professionals they can all take a good penalty in training.

Put them in a high pressure situation and it comes down to their mental ability to reproduce their technical ability.

And that usually boils down to confidence.

I'm pleased for you.

Good you should be

Its pretty clear from the select of takers that other players didn't want to take one either. What about our wonderful captain. Where were his rounduns when push came to shove? Yet for some odd reason Cc singles out Rhodes. Poor by Carlos imho. I lost a hell of respect for him after that. Thought his job was to protect his players? 

Like Leeds with Woods, surely we now have to build a team around Rhodes next season which means buying a top class target man (Tammy or Woods) and an ace winger with speed who can cross and score a few (a fit Alan Judge).

For top 2, plus a giant stopper and midfield beast.

Just now, marshy said:

Its pretty clear from the select of takers that other players didn't want to take one either. What about our wonderful captain. Where were his rounduns when push came to shove? Yet for some odd reason Cc singles out Rhodes. Poor by Carlos imho. I lost a hell of respect for him after that. Thought his job was to protect his players? 

Cc shouldnt have done it. Agreed. Is the skipper a penalty taker. Doubt it unless its with its head. Although according to RobHowe he probably smashes them home in training with aplomb so its a good question.

If anyone is interested here is the list of penalty takers in our squad according to transfermarket -

Abdi - scored 12 missed 1

Winnall - scored 4 missed 1

Fletcher - scored 5 missed 1

FF - scored 3 missed 

Nuhiu - scored 4 missed 1 

Hooper - scored 9 missed 3

Matias - scored 5 missed 1

Mcmanaman - scored 1 missed 1

Rhodes - scored 15 missed 4

Wallace  - scored 2 missed 0

Mcgugan - scored 11 missed 0

Jones - scored 2 missed 0

Bannan - scored 4 missed 1

Ironically mcgugan has the best record.

Noone else has taken one. Make of it what you will

38 minutes ago, marshy said:

Carlos didn't single out Rhodes; the journalist who asked why Rhodes didn't take one did. If he wasn't asked a direct question about it, then I doubt he'd have mentioned it. 

I can't believe this thread has reached page 20 and is still rumbling on, to be honest. If Rhodes felt unsure about taking a penalty, then letting the manager know is the professional thing to do - that way he can see if there are five players more mentally prepared to step up in that pressurised situation.

Maybe Carlos didn't think there'd be such a strong reaction to it when he answered the question honestly - it seems like a pretty straightforward case of a player doing the best for his team, so Carlos may not have foreseen the negativity which has arisen?

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

37 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

From my memory Kevin Pressman was a better penalty taker than FF or Chris Waddle. Funny old game.

Was hoping we would see Westwood doing something similar against Huddersfield.