Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

2 hours ago, Bannofan said:

In general, I think more penalties are being missed these days compared with say, 10 seasons ago. Just my impression, I have no stats to back this up.

Also, again just my impression, penalty takers are more likely to be strikers these days whereas in the ' olden days' they came from all round the team. The best SWFC penalty takers in my memory are Mark Smith and Mel Sterland, both defenders. I also remember the likes of Ray Stewart and Julian Dicks at West Ham, and obviously Stuart Pearce and Leighton Baines had fantastic records.

Perhaps strikers are too eager take penalties these days to boost their goal tally?

Look, if Rhodes didn't want to take one then fair enough. I think people are on his back a bit because it doesn't show great character ( though some would say it was a brave thing to admit he didn't fancy it ) , and it adds to the whole ' Rhodes problem' that we have - and , as a club, we do have an issue with him.

And you can add on Phil Neal at Liverpool.

But on the flip side, I think Steve McLean's record beat Sterland and Smith. And few anywhere have a better record than Shearer and Le Tiss.

On the confidence issue, there have been many regular penalty takers with a good consistent record but, having missed one, or more likely two, give up the responsibility. If Rhodes, or anyone else, didn't have the confidence, I'd rather they say so than walk up with legs like jelly. 

4 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

If Rhodes, or anyone else, didn't have the confidence, I'd rather they say so than walk up with legs like jelly. 

Correct.

If I was about to have a major operation and the surgeon told me that he had had a sudden loss of confidence I'd be more than happy to see him subbed!

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Correct.

If I was about to have a major operation and the surgeon told me that he had had a sudden loss of confidence I'd be more than happy to see him subbed!

Even when his replacement was someone who's job it was to pass the surgeon his tools or someone skilled at cleaning up after the surgery?

Just now, trask43 said:

Even when his replacement was someone who's job it was to pass the surgeon his tools or someone skilled at cleaning up after the surgery?

One surgeon for another. 

Who do we think took the spot that Rhodes might have had?

2 minutes ago, trask43 said:

Its difficult to know for sure probably hutchinson at a guess.

Would a replacment taker be sent up with the pressure of the first one?

I suspect Hutchinson was the first to stick his hand in the air and actuaully want to take one.

1 hour ago, bigdan2003 said:

But but Winnall earns a lot, he should be professional, he shouldn't have feelings.

lol

Winnall was probably thinking he was wasting his time being there if he cant get a game ahead of someone lacking confidence. Not upset perse or crying. I never mentioned earnings either.

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Would a replacment taker be sent up with the pressure of the first one?

I suspect Hutchinson was the first to stick his hand in the air and actuaully want to take one.

True but thats probably the crux of the matter here , rightly or wrongly people expect the most expensive striker with a great history of scoring goals to step up and take responsibility. Confidence is fine but it often borders on bravado and there is skill and technique involved in scoring a penalty. Going back to the surgeon analogy I would prefer to be operated on by the surgeon in a crisis of confidence than the super confident cleaner. 

57 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

There's a huge difference between having the natural goal poachers instinct, to be able to make a decision in a split second and bang a shot away  and having to walk up from the half way line and after a wait, hit a dead ball.

Warhurst in his amazing 18 in 18 run was scoring off pure instinct.  It didn’t see Trevor suddenly put him on all free kick and penalty duties.  They are two very different disciplines.

I’m not sure why people find that hard to fathom.

Rhodes didn’t feel confident.  Well, maybe it actually took some balls to admit that in front of his team mates when he’s the £10m man.  Has anyone mentioned that?

now don't say that Lord , people will think you havent a clue mate ;) ,taking penalties is a different ball game you are either up for it or you are not , and confidence plays a big factor in the mindset .some players relish the job while others don't , , agree with your post mate

On 2017-5-18 at 01:08, RocketOwl said:

Oh do one.

what has Rhodes done since he's been here.

This lad is the most prolific striker the championship has seen in the last decade. He is proven quality with a goal scoring record to back that up . Since he has been at Hillsbro he has had no service what so ever , zero . No striker can score goals with no service. Play to his strengths and he scores goals , starve him of the ball and he wont . simples. 

3 minutes ago, trask43 said:

True but thats probably the crux of the matter here , rightly or wrongly people expect the most expensive striker with a great history of scoring goals to step up and take responsibility. Confidence is fine but it often borders on bravado and there is skill and technique involved in scoring a penalty. Going back to the surgeon analogy I would prefer to be operated on by the surgeon in a crisis of confidence than the super confident cleaner. 

Me too. Highly skilled with lack of confidence has a higher chance of success than someone much less skilled and full of it.

1 minute ago, Tyto Alba said:

£10 million stiker who won't step up and take a penalty in a pressure situation.  What is there to discuss?

What has the price tag got to do with Rhodes ? 

2 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

What has the price tag got to do with Rhodes ? 

I agree that Rhodes didn't decide his transfer fee. But he will have accepted wages that are in line with a player commanding a £10m transfer fee, reportedly £50k per week. With these type of wages comes a responsibility that you can handle pressure situations which he clearly did not on Wednesday night.

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

Me too. Highly skilled with lack of confidence has a higher chance of success than someone much less skilled and full of it.

Much less skilled? Who are talking about here?

Do you believe that there are players on the team who would struggle to score from the spot in training?

Scoring penalties in high pressure situations is all about confidence. Technically they can all do it. But when the pressure is on some players can't always handle it.

Whether they should or shouldn't is another matter.

But we've all seen highly skilled players miss in high pressure situations. Waddle in 1990 for example. You just knew he was going to miss, his body language showed where his confidence was.

Baggio in the 1994 World Cup final - watch his face as he steps up. He's sh*tting himself.