Rhodes "didn't want to take a penalty"

2 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Much less skilled? Who are talking about here?

Do you believe that there are players on the team who would struggle to score from the spot in training?

Scoring penalties in high pressure situations is all about confidence. Technically they can all do it. But when the pressure is on some players can't always handle it.

Whether they should or shouldn't is another matter.

But we've all seen highly skilled players miss in high pressure situations. Waddle in 1990 for example. You just knew he was going to miss, his body language showed where his confidence was.

Baggio in the 1994 World Cup final - watch his face as he steps up. He's sh*tting himself.

Absolutely there are players in training who arent good at them. Huddersfield player the other night said it himself i think. Think they practised and scored 3 out of 5. They cant all do it.

17 minutes ago, trask43 said:

Going back to the surgeon analogy I would prefer to be operated on by the surgeon in a crisis of confidence than the super confident cleaner. 

And there we differ trask, for while your surgeon, with sweat dripping into his eyes and the scalpal in his handsshaking so vigourosly it's nought but a silver blur whizzing dangerously around and nicking your carotid artery

Meanwhile...I relax into my chair because that cleaner is non other than a superb  Polish surgeon ,reknowned in his homeland, but who has come to England , but because of a miscommunication in languge ended up cleaning theatres rather than working in them.

After a while he got used to the hours, finishing at 9am and having the rest of the day off.

The money obviously isn't as good as the surgeons rate, but when he sends it back home, it's still enough to live like a King.

11 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Absolutely there are players in training who arent good at them. Huddersfield player the other night said it himself i think. Think they practised and scored 3 out of 5. They cant all do it.

Absolutely? 

Can you name them?

Give the man a chance. Full pre-season with the squad will give him bags of confidence for next season. We didn't lose the match because of Rhodes, we lost it as a team and we have to back everyone to come back stronger next season. Move forwards not backwards...

4 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Sure. Same as you can name all the ones who never miss in training

Twice I've asked you to name who think are the much less skilled players / those that aren't good at taking penalties.

Twice you've avoided answering.

18 minutes ago, Andoverowl said:

Good job it didn't go to sudden death then because if it had gone all the way he wouldn't have had a choice lol

This is part of my frustrations how far does the logic apply that he doesn't feel upto taking one, does loovens take one before him? westwood? To not take a penalty is not entirely optional so if your reasonably good at taking them you might as well volunteer yourself up first and get it over and done with, surely the pressure on him would be even worse as he strides up to take the 10th penalty with both hudders fans and ours knowing hes tried to put himself to the back of the queue.

Guest keepitsteel67

End of the day the guy was NOT fully fit maybe even up to the last game other day. AND his confidace will have suffered with lack of goals but... This guy is going to fire us into the top2 with a full pre season and some proper wingers watch. ...

44 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Twice I've asked you to name who think are the much less skilled players / those that aren't good at taking penalties.

Twice you've avoided answering.

Because i dont know

Do you? Are you saying they are all of equal ability?

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

I agree that Rhodes didn't decide his transfer fee. But he will have accepted wages that are in line with a player commanding a £10m transfer fee, reportedly £50k per week. With these type of wages comes a responsibility that you can handle pressure situations which he clearly did not on Wednesday night.

Not necessarily...

24 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Because i dont know

My apologies. From your previous post it seemed as though you did know.

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

Absolutely there are players in training who arent good at them.

25 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Are you saying they are all of equal ability?

Not all. I've never said that.

What I have consistently said is that they are all professional footballers and they all have the technical ability to strike a ball well and take a good penalty in training.

What differs and what matters is their mental ability and their ability reproduce what they can do in training in a high pressure situation.

Throughout the history of penalty shoot-outs there have also been players who were confident and fancied taking one, and players that weren't and didn't.

As I posted earlier, twice now I think, Rhodes wasn't in Huddersfield's first 5 takers in the Playoffs against the  P*gs. I believe he was 6th or 7th.

So his lack of confidence in that situation isn't new.

22 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

What I have consistently said is that they are all professional footballers and they all have the technical ability to strike a ball well and take a good penalty in training.

What differs and what matters is their mental ability and their ability reproduce what they can do in training in a high pressure situation.

Throughout the history of penalty shoot-outs there have also been players who were confident and fancied taking one, and players that weren't and didn't.

As I posted earlier, twice now I think, Rhodes wasn't in Huddersfield's first 5 takers in the Playoffs against the  P*gs. I believe he was 6th or 7th.

You asked if i believe there are players who struggle to score from the spot in training. You inferred that they didnt.

I disagreed saying there are some who do and do who dont. They arent all equal. I dont need names and facts. Its just true.

They dont all have the ability to take a good penalty in training. I disagree point blank. Some will be better than the others. Hence why they are penalty takers on match day. Otherwise just give it anyone. 

27 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Plus i never said i knew their names smart Calgon. If you want names ask the huddersfield player who said they missed in training. I dont need names t know that some will be better tham others. It just is.

29 minutes ago, RobHowe said:

Im also glad we have invested in a striker who cant take penalties in a pressure situation but can do it when it really doesnt matter. 

I thought at the time making this thread it was really poor of him, but looking back if a player doesn't feel up to taking one I'd rather see someone more confident step up, it's by far the more sensible thing to do than make him take one. 

Is it time to put this thread to bed? It's not going to achieve anything. 

Leave kid alone.

He plays for Wednesday and wanted to come, and if Carlos actually thought about it properly, he should be building any Championship side round him.

Bit of opportunistic, deflecting tactics for CC's own semi final shortcomings.

CC's man management is better than that.....it was a deliberate scapegoating effort.

37 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Plus i never said i knew their names smart Calgon.

Apologies again. I took your answer below to mean that you could name them.

2 hours ago, RobHowe said:

Can you name them?

2 hours ago, billyblack said:

Sure.