Andre Marriner

2 hours ago, flo said:

He was lucky to be alive after dissallowing that Forestieri goal. 

I don't think I've ever sworn as much in my life as I did in that 2minute spell where the officials consulted one and other and disallowed it lol

51 minutes ago, brazilowl said:

I just hope he's not swayed by Huddersfield players always in is ear like they were on Sunday. Also if he clamps down on their diving he will be ok. 

yep that Smith was there for every foul.

Some of his controversial decisions this season...

Man U v Arsenal - failed to give Man Utd a penalty in the first half. Despite the mistake Mourinho gave him praise for attending the locker room before the game to tell players he didn't want to take centre stage. 

Swansea v Chelsea - awards Swansea a goal when Cahill had clearly been fouled in the build up. Later failed to send off Costa with a second yellow for a clear dive

EFL Cup Final - ruled out a perfectly good goal for Southampton

Man City v Tottenham - at 2-1 he failed to give a blatant penalty & send off Walker. Tottenham then equalised within a minute.

Tottenham v Southampton - Southampton were down to 10 men through injury & he failed to realise they had someone waiting to come on. He restarted play & awarded Tottenham a soft penalty. Later in the game he failed to give Southampton a similar penalty.

To balanace it....

Arsenal v Man City - in final minutes a ball hit Monreal's arm in the box, he refused to give a penalty. It was ultimately the right call as it was not deliberate.

In the same game he correctly gave Navas a yellow instead of a red for a dangerous tackle early in the game. The tackle was deemed not to be excessive & not deliberate.

Arsenal v Man U - no major decisions but received praise for how he reffed the latest game

Ok so not much on the balancing side but I guess refs don't really get mentioned when they have a good game. But he does get given some very big games to ref so he surely can't be all that bad. Even the best refs in the world get decisions wrong.

4 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Took a big risk listening to his assistant in the first leg vs Brighton last year. Ruling out Forestieri's goal - there was absolutely zero chance his assistant could see that Hooper touched the ball on to Forestieri, it simply wasn't possible to see from the assistant's position. As a result, Mariner guessed. I'd rather officials who make decisions based on what they actually see.

Why is this still some people's first reaction?

It's a dead, dead simple conversation that requires very little brainpower. 

Ref: Was Forestieri offside?
Lino: Not when Hooper flicked it on
Ref: You're mistaken good sir, Hooper didn't touch the ball

Lino: At which point if no other Wednesday player touched the ball, Forestieri was offside

Ref: Did you not flag because you thought Hooper touched it?

Lino: Yeah I thought Hooper got a nick

Ref: Don't worry about it, easy mistake to make from your position, I'll sort it out

Like, for some reason people think that when they disallowed the goal, the ref just decided the linesman was guessing the call and at no point did they exchange information. It's really quite bizarre that some people are so determined to be hard-done by that they refuse to accept simple logic? Made even more odd that it was completely 100% without doubt the correct call? 

56 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Why is this still some people's first reaction?

It's a dead, dead simple conversation that requires very little brainpower. 

Ref: Was Forestieri offside?
Lino: Not when Hooper flicked it on
Ref: You're mistaken good sir, Hooper didn't touch the ball

Lino: At which point if no other Wednesday player touched the ball, Forestieri was offside

Ref: Did you not flag because you thought Hooper touched it?

Lino: Yeah I thought Hooper got a nick

Ref: Don't worry about it, easy mistake to make from your position, I'll sort it out

Like, for some reason people think that when they disallowed the goal, the ref just decided the linesman was guessing the call and at no point did they exchange information. It's really quite bizarre that some people are so determined to be hard-done by that they refuse to accept simple logic? Made even more odd that it was completely 100% without doubt the correct call? 

Why oh why do people over-react to people posting an opinion based on what they've seen/heard?

I've stated in this thread - since my post you've replied to - that I wasn't aware the referee had explained why the goal was ruled out. From what I saw, the referee gave the goal and the lineman then flagged. That suggests the linesman made the call based on something he simply couldn't see - that's wrong.

But as explained by the fellow poster, it was the referee who made the call on whether Hooper touched the ball or not, and he'll have been in a better position than the lineman.

Therefore I retract the comment I made that the linesman guessed now new information (to me) has come about.

Also, why would anyone feel hard done by? We won 2-0 and progressed through the tie.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you