Andre Marriner

Have to say, I'm not a fan of ref  bashing- I think they have a very hard job. However....

....I've never liked this fellas attitude when I've seen him ref. He seems to have a real arrogance about him. What worries me the most is several times I've got the feeling he goes out of his way to show he's not being swayed by the home crowd. 

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

37 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Have to say, I'm not a fan of ref  bashing- I think they have a very hard job. However....

....I've never liked this fellas attitude when I've seen him ref. He seems to have a real arrogance about him. What worries me the most is several times I've got the feeling he goes out of his way to show he's not being swayed by the home crowd. 

And that's what worries me. Worried shitless that all the owlstalk conversation on Thursday will be about what a bellend mariner is instead of which hotel you are booking. Please prove me wrong Andre 

4 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Why is this still some people's first reaction?

It's a dead, dead simple conversation that requires very little brainpower. 

Ref: Was Forestieri offside?
Lino: Not when Hooper flicked it on
Ref: You're mistaken good sir, Hooper didn't touch the ball

Lino: At which point if no other Wednesday player touched the ball, Forestieri was offside

Ref: Did you not flag because you thought Hooper touched it?

Lino: Yeah I thought Hooper got a nick

Ref: Don't worry about it, easy mistake to make from your position, I'll sort it out

Like, for some reason people think that when they disallowed the goal, the ref just decided the linesman was guessing the call and at no point did they exchange information. It's really quite bizarre that some people are so determined to be hard-done by that they refuse to accept simple logic? Made even more odd that it was completely 100% without doubt the correct call? 

It was ruled out because they and Brightons players saw the replay on screen.

Correct decision but they used video evidence to come to it which is not allowed 

15 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

I can't think of a better English referee to be honest, he always seems to be in good control of a game and doesn't stand for any nonsense.

Poor referees get round out, the good ones stick around. 

AM has been around a long time now, he's a good ref and I'm glad we have one with such experience for this game. 

This is site does make me laugh - there's a large section of our supporters who do truly believe there's only us that get bad decisions against us. 

Have watched a replay of this a few times and what I can tell you is this.

As soon as the ball hits the back of the net.

1. The lino starts to head back toward the half way at the same time as holding his hand over his earpiece – from/to – who knows ?

2. The centre half Greer has his arms raised and is shouting at the ref and heading towards him. I presume Greer knows that Hooper has not touched the ball because he had his arms wrapped around him for a brief second stopping his movement toward it.

3. Apart from Greer the rest of the Brighton defence and keeper in their mind think its a goal. They are not immediately raising any questions.

The start of the process of the officials questioning their own decision I believe is before a replay of the goal because Nando and the lads are still celebrating.  

I don't see the point in spending too much brain power debating the Forestieri goal, however they came to the decision to disallow it. The fact is, they got it right.

Who would you rather have, a ref who is able to admit they made a bit of a blunder (albeit completely understandably, given the circumstances of the incident), or one who doggedly sticks to the decision they gave to avoid a backlash from the crowd? 

11 hours ago, Kanye West said:

Reffed the home win in the play offs last season against Brighton, lucky omen lol 

Was devastated at the time and it all worked out OK in the end.....but that decision to disallow FFs "goal" was actually very good refereeing .....I'd prefer it if he got any like that for us on Wednesday wrong! Wed forgive bim

53 minutes ago, Dan™ said:

I don't see the point in spending too much brain power debating the Forestieri goal, however they came to the decision to disallow it. The fact is, they got it right.

Who would you rather have, a ref who is able to admit they made a bit of a blunder (albeit completely understandably, given the circumstances of the incident), or one who doggedly sticks to the decision they gave to avoid a backlash from the crowd? 

He was harassed into the decision by opponents who had reviewed it on the big screen, the officials also appear to have done this. The right decision but it was reached by the wrong means, intimidation and video evidence. The laws of the game mean that the goal should have stood even though on replay evidence it was the correct decision.

Guest RocketOwl

Let's face it all refs are poo poo. Absolutely all of them bar maybe two in the premier league.

The key is to play well and the refs hopefully can't effect it.

15 minutes ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

He was harassed into the decision by opponents who had reviewed it on the big screen, the officials also appear to have done this. The right decision but it was reached by the wrong means, intimidation and video evidence. The laws of the game mean that the goal should have stood even though on replay evidence it was the correct decision.

You couldn't tell he hadn't touched it until about the 4th replay from a different angle , the Brighton players appealed as soon as the goal was given.

Why if it was clear on the big screen was everyone up in arms about it being disallowed ?