Andre Marriner

1 minute ago, the monk said:

You couldn't tell he hadn't touched it until about the 4th replay from a different angle , the Brighton players appealed as soon as the goal was given.

Why if it was clear on the big screen was everyone up in arms about it being disallowed ?

Presumably all Owls were going mental and didn't really view it to chalk it off :columbo:

Just now, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Presumably all Owls were going mental and didn't really view it to chalk it off :columbo:

Apparently some saw the Brighton players  and the officials view it whilst going mental!!

It was a very good bit of refereeing really 

Can't say I thought that at the time though !

I don't remember the incident being triggered by the video replay, but I didn't see what the referee was doing the whole time while celebrating the goal so who knows. My understanding was that both the linesman and the ref had two unique pieces of information* which separately weren't reason to disallow the goal, but when combined meant Forestieri was offside. All it needed was a quick chat between the two of them to exchange that information and they came to the right decision.

*The linesman knowing that Forestieri was beyond the last man from Westwood's kick, and the ref knowing that Hooper didn't actually touch the ball on its way through.

If either of them only gained the relevant information from hearing the Brighton players complaining, or from viewing the big screen, then I'd agree that isn't right and the goal should have stood.

8 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

By video evidence though, which aren't in the laws of the game 

Neither of those 2 replays show whether Hooper got a touch or not. That's watching a TV in front of you. 

The ref ref and linesman are already discussing it whilst the replay is shown on the big screen - you telling me they could see something in that replay from there???