A letter to Lee Bullen

Dear Lee

Before the play offs, a letter from a supporter.

As someone who grew up in the glory days under sgt Wilko, Big Ron, Tricky Trev and that glorious squad of players, I have been blessed to see us compete at the highest level. It is fair to say the last 16 years have been a long 16 years outside of the top flight, including of course our stints in League 1.

We now find ourselves on the brink once more of a return to the top flight and no one at this club deserves that more than you. 

a 33 year old utility player signed for free from Scotland, having never played in England, didn't get me very interested to be honest. We were skint and Chris Turner had to put a squad together with virtually no money. I am guessing if we hadn't been so skint you wouldn't have even been on the radar. 

But you battled your way into the side at centre back and when chris marsden had to retire took on the captains role. You were outstanding in our promotion season, leading our young squad with future stars like brunt and whelan on and off the pitch. In the play offs you were terrific and were commanding in that final.  The picture of you lifting that trophy is iconic.

a year older, a bit slower, you gamely battled in the Championship but your game was starting to fade a bit. But whenever you were called on you battled like hell, none more so than your legendary stint in goals at Millwall. Another year ticked by and at 35 you were still going, filling in wherever you were asked to play, helping the squad and leading them off the pitch.

Your farewell to swfc was emotional for us all, you were key to us stopping that slide and starting the recovery process.

i always hoped you would come back and was chuffed when you starting coaching our young players. The outstanding results they are now achieving are a credit to you and the coaching staff. 

We were all a bit sceptical when we hired a manager from Portugal we had never heard of , but he is a smart cookie and got you alongside him as part of his team. You deserved that promotion. And the last two years have been terrific as Carlos you and the team have brought us hope again. 

So good luck this weekend Lee Bullen. You are an outstanding football man, a true owls legend, and if anyone deserves to go up , it's you.

26 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

Dear Lee

Before the play offs, a letter from a supporter.

As someone who grew up in the glory days under sgt Wilko, Big Ron, Tricky Trev and that glorious squad of players, I have been blessed to see us compete at the highest level. It is fair to say the last 16 years have been a long 16 years outside of the top flight, including of course our stints in League 1.

We now find ourselves on the brink once more of a return to the top flight and no one at this club deserves that more than you. 

a 33 year old utility player signed for free from Scotland, having never played in England, didn't get me very interested to be honest. We were skint and Chris Turner had to put a squad together with virtually no money. I am guessing if we hadn't been so skint you wouldn't have even been on the radar. 

But you battled your way into the side at centre back and when chris marsden had to retire took on the captains role. You were outstanding in our promotion season, leading our young squad with future stars like brunt and whelan on and off the pitch. In the play offs you were terrific and were commanding in that final.  The picture of you lifting that trophy is iconic.

a year older, a bit slower, you gamely battled in the Championship but your game was starting to fade a bit. But whenever you were called on you battled like hell, none more so than your legendary stint in goals at Millwall. Another year ticked by and at 35 you were still going, filling in wherever you were asked to play, helping the squad and leading them off the pitch.

Your farewell to swfc was emotional for us all, you were key to us stopping that slide and starting the recovery process.

i always hoped you would come back and was chuffed when you starting coaching our young players. The outstanding results they are now achieving are a credit to you and the coaching staff. 

We were all a bit sceptical when we hired a manager from Portugal we had never heard of , but he is a smart cookie and got you alongside him as part of his team. You deserved that promotion. And the last two years have been terrific as Carlos you and the team have brought us hope again. 

So good luck this weekend Lee Bullen. You are an outstanding football man, a true owls legend, and if anyone deserves to go up , it's you.

Can't argue with any of that. For that time and our circumstances, I do consider him a legend. 

2 minutes ago, Mr Farrell said:

A bit gushing and cringey.

Half expected the Op to end with he loves him.

Also fear that the Op has a room covered in pictures of Lee ala Jackie Merrick/Alan Partridge.

lol

Bullens face tattoed on his chest?

"come for a coffee Lee"

I think there are similarities between Lee Bullen's time as a player here and Jose Semedo's current spell here TBH. Both were/are limited players to a certain extent but both have a big heart, been very professional and have made a real effort to connect with the club and the fans during periods at the club when it's been tough. Hopefully both will be celebrating a deserved promotion to the premier league on May 29th.