Jim Smith a Wednesdayite?

Guest Bagarri
12 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I always find it strange when I meet people who say they like playing football but don't like watching it. Especially when they are quite good players. I'm not talking about girls here 

Andy Carroll too said he doesn't follow football, only plays it. Claims he had to Google most of the Liverpool team when he moved there...he is pretty damn thick though!

Got Oxford into the top flight! That's right, Oxford! Then won the league cup with them. Did a decent job at QPR though I can not remember whether he was their manager when they too won the League Cup. Then put a very good Pompey side together and got them to an FA Cup semi final replay and very close to the top flight. He got Derby up after years of near misses and lots of money spent by the previous manager. A really good manager of the old school.

Just now, George said:

Got Oxford into the top flight! That's right, Oxford! Then won the league cup with them. Did a decent job at QPR though I can not remember whether he was their manager when they too won the League Cup. Then put a very good Pompey side together and got them to an FA Cup semi final replay and very close to the top flight. He got Derby up after years of near misses and lots of money spent by the previous manager. A really good manager of the old school.

Sshhhh Birmingham will be after him if that's the case  lol

58 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

The Bald Eagle! 

He must be cracking on a bit now.

59 minutes ago, Imre-Banana said:

The Bald Eagle..reyt lad

Atillio Lombardo? 

2 hours ago, Ian_D said:

I was a metalworker in the 70s and early 80s, hated it. Never talk about that job nowadays. Might be similar for some in football.

It just seems off that professional athletes are like this considering the amount of talent involved, as well as hard work from a young age. A guy I went to school with plays pro hockey but at this point pretty much hates it. He's played a few NHL games with a few NHL clubs but he's pretty much a career AHL player (Championship equivalent) at this point. He makes about $500,000 a year playing hockey so it's a good paying job even if you don't care for the game much anymore.

I think Andre Agassi was the same. HATED tennis, but it paid the bills so he kept playing for years because of it. 

3 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Was chatting to him the other day, as he lives on the same road as me in Oxford. I've spoken to him before about Wednesday, as I knew he was a Wednesday fan growing up in Shiregreen. He is a really nice bloke, and isn't involved with football, in any capacity anymore.

What surprised me, was his lack of interest in Wednesday, and football in general. He didn't know who our manager was, or how we were doing this season. It's funny when you meet people, who have been involved in the game, but they have no real interest in it. Have met a few like that, some are really good players, and have a talent, but no interest in football whatsoever

Yup but it's not unknown by any means for top sportsmen (and women, too, I am sure) to hate the sport that they excel at. Famously, Andre Agassi hated tennis (absolutely true and well attested, mainly by the man himself!).