Jim Smith a Wednesdayite?

10 hours ago, thewookieisdown said:

Not quite. 

In fact when Oxford won the league cup he had already left them for QPR - who Oxford beat in the final.  (You couldn't make it up etc).  I believe there was a falling out with Cap'n Bob.  Cap'n Bob-Bob-Bob fell out with many of his employees, quite aside from doing naughty things with their pensions funds

I think he got Oxford consecutive promotions from div 3 and then div 2 (as then was, and all the better for it).  

We beat them 3-0 at the manor in the '84 FA Cup, R5, when we were top of div 2 and they were top of div 1.  I remember deal old David Lacey opining in the Guardian that it was the only tie without a first division side, and the most intriguing game of the round.

couldn't get tickets for that cup game and mentioned it to my boss at the time (ex blunt Arthur Rowley) who phoned up jim smith and  bless him sent me 2 tickets for free....top bloke

16 hours ago, gurujuan said:

Yeah, he probably just didn't want to talk to me about football 

He's on Owlstalk. He reads your posts. I bet you told him your username, so I can't blame him for feigning disinterest. He was worried you'd talk tactics and he saw his life of retirement bliss flash before his eyes and disappear in a fog of waffle!!!!

lol

21 hours ago, SBOwl said:

Who's Jim Smith?

Little known fact but it was Jim Smith who first introduced Pro Zone to English football. He had McClaren as his number 2 at derby and when McClaren went to Man U to work with Ferguson he got Fergie to start using it.

1 hour ago, coruja said:

Wasn't he approached to be manager at some point, but said the timing wasn't right.

It may have been just before or just after Wilkinson.

Or is my mind playing tricks?

Nope, that was Peter Reid.

He applied again later on when we had more money. 

We told him the timing wasn't right, he was applying 10 years after his sell by date.