Jim Smith a Wednesdayite?

At his age, he might not be much of an internet user. Without that or living local, it would be bloody hard work these days following a club outside the Premier League.

To be honest, there have been times I've wished I could get out of the habit, at less than half his age.

Managed Barcodes too at some point. Successful old school manager - Deffo wednesdayite -met him In Whiston at some family do and declared pre 1991 season that we had the best side "by a mile" in div 2 and would get straight back.

As some poster has hinted - mebbe Gurujuan bumped into Attilio Lombardo by mistake. 

5 hours ago, George said:

Got Oxford into the top flight! That's right, Oxford! Then won the league cup with them. Did a decent job at QPR though I can not remember whether he was their manager when they too won the League Cup. Then put a very good Pompey side together and got them to an FA Cup semi final replay and very close to the top flight. He got Derby up after years of near misses and lots of money spent by the previous manager. A really good manager of the old school.

Not quite. 

In fact when Oxford won the league cup he had already left them for QPR - who Oxford beat in the final.  (You couldn't make it up etc).  I believe there was a falling out with Cap'n Bob.  Cap'n Bob-Bob-Bob fell out with many of his employees, quite aside from doing naughty things with their pensions funds

I think he got Oxford consecutive promotions from div 3 and then div 2 (as then was, and all the better for it).  

We beat them 3-0 at the manor in the '84 FA Cup, R5, when we were top of div 2 and they were top of div 1.  I remember deal old David Lacey opining in the Guardian that it was the only tie without a first division side, and the most intriguing game of the round.

27 minutes ago, arithmetic said:

At his age, he might not be much of an internet user. Without that or living local, it would be bloody hard work these days following a club outside the Premier League.

To be honest, there have been times I've wished I could get out of the habit, at less than half his age.

would it chuff be difficult

6 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have always liked Jim Smith. I knew he went to Firth Park school and was a big Wednesday fan.

Was Ron Atkinson special guest at the 1991 League Cup Final I think I read somewhere and his boyhood hero was Albert Quixall

When Graham Taylor died I read that he had gone off the modern game as he thought things like money, agents, greedy players, forigen owners etc has spoiled professional football. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Smith feels the same way. 

The closer you get to the professional game the less appealing it gets.Better to view it as a fan from a distance and enjoy it with a touch of naivety and innocence. Can totally understand some ex managers and players becoming disillusioned.

6 hours ago, gurujuan said:

What surprised me, was his lack of interest in Wednesday, and football in general. He didn't know who our manager was, or how we were doing this season. It's funny when you meet people, who have been involved in the game, but they have no real interest in it. Have met a few like that, some are really good players, and have a talent, but no interest in football whatsoever

Think there will be quite a few like that, I know of at least 2 former players who refuse to even talk about the game. Don't think it's unique to football either, think you'll find it in most sports. When you've had day to day involvement in a sport for most of your life, you can easily become cynical and jaded by what you've seen and drift from it completely once retired.

43 minutes ago, PeakOwl said:

Think there will be quite a few like that, I know of at least 2 former players who refuse to even talk about the game. Don't think it's unique to football either, think you'll find it in most sports. When you've had day to day involvement in a sport for most of your life, you can easily become cynical and jaded by what you've seen and drift from it completely once retired.

Yeah, Im like that, and I only watch it