Gary hooper

8 hours ago, scram said:

You are making the mistake of correlation = causation

lies, damn lies & statistics...

or are you seriously saying we would not have scored a goal if Rhodes hadn't been signed?

Just using the facts to help form an opinion based on probabilities.

Would Chelsea have been as successful over the past decade if Abramovic hadn't bought them? Had Bates stayed, probably not.

Would Man Utd still be dominated if Sir Alex hadn't retired? Given he's the most successful manager in the modern era, probably yes.

Would Pep be at Man City if they weren't minted? Big club manager, probably not.

Would Newcastle have won the Championship without Benitez? Best and most expensive team in the division, probably yes.

Before yesterday, Wednesday were on a 15 year unbeaten run at Hillsborough when there was a 30,000+ crowd. Was the crowd a contributing factor to that run? Postive psychological advantage on home turf shows sports teams win more at home than away, so probably yes.

The fact is Wednesday haven't scored for 4 months when Jordan Rhodes hasn't been on the pitch. That suggests Jordan Rhodes has made an impact on Wednesday this season.

It's simply using the facts presented to give a measure of probability. Would Wednesday have scored since January had we not signed Jordan Rhodes? Probably yes, because we scored August to January without him. However, the fact when Rhodes plays Wednesday score and when he doesn't, Wednesday don't, suggests Rhodes has had an impact for Wednesday.

Hooper dropping a bit deeper and linking play with little flicks has really helped, but I think Lee then arriving later into the box has also made a big difference. Fingers crossed we still maintain that side of our game. 

I was impressed with Winnall yesterday but he's not really a link man, he's better off just going for goal. Fletcher and Rhodes could be good, although they both tend to drop a bit deeper at times to act as the conduit for thier partner, so hopefully we try out a few new partnerships in training!

No dressing this up, it's a major, major blow.

He's been the catalyst to our remarkable upturn in form, and without him linking the play superbly, we often look a very disjointed unit.

It's true, we can bring in a £10m striker, or arguably's last season's key player to replace him. But neither Rhodes or Forestieri, play that role anywhere near as effectively as Hooper does.

Worrying.

29 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

No dressing this up, it's a major, major blow.

He's been the catalyst to our remarkable upturn in form, and without him linking the play superbly, we often look a very disjointed unit.

It's true, we can bring in a £10m striker, or arguably's last season's key player to replace him. But neither Rhodes or Forestieri, play that role anywhere near as effectively as Hooper does.

Worrying.

Give over.

The last time he was injured we won 5 of our next 6 games. That particular run included a couple of our best performances of the season. 

Our squad is stronger now than it was then with many other players in form. 

Strange that you find it so worrying.

3 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Give over.

The last time he was injured we won 5 of our next 6 games. That particular run included a couple of our best performances of the season. 

You should change your username to IStilHateGaryHooper.

4 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Give over.

You don't rate him, we get it. 

But, if you cannot appreciate the impact he's made since his return, which coincided with an horrendous run of form where the football we were playing was dreadful and seriously looked like we would miss out on the playoffs, then you're blinded by your apparent dislike of him.

I'm not saying, we won't come through the semi's without him, but it's certainly a serious blow for us. We have players who are AS good as Hooper, but none of them, play the role he does, anywhere near as well.

As a result, we either change our style: play Rhodes/Fletcher and go more direct, or play FF in that role, sacrifice the ability the link play up, but rely on his individual brilliance to create something. But these options, seem to make us a far more ineffective unit. 

Guest RocketOwl
13 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Give over.

Absolutely clueless.

15 minutes ago, owlZfan84 said:

You should change your username to IStilHateGaryHooper.

I don't though. I rate Gary Hooper. On his day he's an absolute joy to watch. 

But as results and performances have proven, we are more than capable of winning and playing well without him. 

Of course id prefer him fit and available but there's no reason to worry if he isn't.

Until recently I had long held the belief that we were bang average without Forestieri. I worried every time he wasn't in the line up.

The last couple of months I've had to eat my words. But it seems some can't do the same when it comes to Hooper.

Edited by IstillhateSteveBould

3 minutes ago, pazowl55 said:

This may solve Carlos's Hutchinson, Lee and Bannan conundrum.

You suggesting Lee or Bannan playing behind the front man? 

It's an option and last season there times I felt that is what we were crying out for.

But with the strikers we have available now I suspect it'll be a case of Rhodes/Fernando/Dave/Winnall coming in up top in a more traditional 4-4-2. 

7 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

I don't though. I rate Gary Hooper. On his day he's an absolute joy to watch. 

But as results and performances have proven, we are more than capable of winning and playing well without him. 

Of course id prefer him fit and available but there's no reason to worry if he isn't.

Until recently I had long held the belief that we were bang average without Forestieri. I worried every time he wasn't in the line up.

The last couple of months I've had to eat my words. But it seems some can't do the same when it comes to Hooper.

Spot on. Some people on here just like to be hysterical. We're about to go into the biggest games of the season- positivity please. 

Guest Ash76

Gutted, in my opinion our best player but we have strength in depth and Carlos has time to prepare them

Apologies that I haven't read through all 9 pages but hasn't Hooper being playing a withdrawn role since his return? In effect he's been playing the Kieran Lee role for the past few weeks but Kieran's back now so I wouldn't be losing too much sleep over his absence, however good he is.

Dom Howson is a big Huddersfield fan so no doubt he will have tried his hardest to dig this one out and create a bit of negativity going in to the play offs, Big loss but not worried we have some fantastic strikers who can step in and do the job with one being a former Huddersfield hero 

13 hours ago, SiJ said:

His link up play on the ground is the best out of any of our strikers. 

Provides that connection between the front line and the midfielders. Also think he works very well with Fletcher who puts himself about physically. 

Hopefully he will be fully fit. 

Class player when he's on it. 

I'd say Forestieri is even better in that role.  He's a classic number ten.