Writing us off again on the telly.

10 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I think it's about whom teams have got to play in the remaining fixtures. If you look at Leeds' fixtures, you just can't see them losing many of them. Wigan will probably already be down by the time they play them, for example. Then look at our fixtures. Derby have a very good record at Hillsborough anyway, and in 14 attempts we've never beaten Mick McCarthy. We've lost eight and drawn six. He plays the type of football Carlos really struggles against, which is probably why the Magpies lost against them today too. Anything we get from Ipswich will be a bonus, and I just can't see us getting more than a point at most. Ditto Derby, so we're probably going to have to beat Fulham to make the play-offs. That's no doubt what the pundits are thinking, so you can't really blame them for writing us off. Were we not Owls fans, we probably would too.

You mean like v Wolves today?

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I think it's about whom teams have got to play in the remaining fixtures. If you look at Leeds' fixtures, you just can't see them losing many of them. Wigan will probably already be down by the time they play them, for example. Then look at our fixtures. Derby have a very good record at Hillsborough anyway, and in 14 attempts we've never beaten Mick McCarthy. We've lost eight and drawn six. He plays the type of football Carlos really struggles against, which is probably why the Magpies lost against them today too. Anything we get from Ipswich will be a bonus, and I just can't see us getting more than a point at most. Ditto Derby, so we're probably going to have to beat Fulham to make the play-offs. That's no doubt what the pundits are thinking, so you can't really blame them for writing us off. Were we not Owls fans, we probably would too.

Disagree with your analysis somewhat , the average pundit won't know our record vs Derby or Mick and won't care either.

Newcastle have been poor because they have one game plan and that's get it to Gayle early they've lost him and are struggling. 

Our struggles have either mainly been self inflicted this season or caused by injuries.

Two very poor penalties can't be ignored , FF and his head up his arse for half the season and a blatant goal line handball at Derby. 

Its been no surprise we've looked better with Hooper coming back either , his quality has made a huge difference. 

Yes, Hooper does make a big difference. For me, though, the problem we face is not the quality of our opponents, but their type. So, Newcastle have much more quality than Ipswich, but allow us to play. Ipswich won't, and Carlos struggles to break them down. We've got to assume we'll get nowt at Ipswich, so I think this next game is the decider. If we beat Derby, then we'll do it. If not, it'll be difficult.

1 hour ago, Utah Owl said:

You mean like v Wolves today?

I can see Leeds struggling at Burton, but not in the other fixtures. A poor result at Burton coupled with an Owls victory against Derby would probably kill Leeds off. It'll be the next game which decides it in my view.

16 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Yes, Hooper does make a big difference. For me, though, the problem we face is not the quality of our opponents, but their type. So, Newcastle have much more quality than Ipswich, but allow us to play. Ipswich won't, and Carlos struggles to break them down. We've got to assume we'll get nowt at Ipswich, so I think this next game is the decider. If we beat Derby, then we'll do it. If not, it'll be difficult.

Most teams haven't let us play this season so no change their then , and I don't assume we won't get anything at Ipswich. 

I expect four points from those two games     And hopefully Fulham is a dead rubber then. 

1 hour ago, elyowl1 said:

Most teams haven't let us play this season so no change their then , and I don't assume we won't get anything at Ipswich. 

I expect four points from those two games     And hopefully Fulham is a dead rubber then. 

Amen to that.

3 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Better analysis than tv pundits

5 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I guess that's all we can do. We didn't have a good record against Colin but won. But these next two fixtures were always the ones which really worried me, and I hope the late equalizer we conceded against Barnsley isn't what kills us.

More likely to be the late equaliser at Fulham that hurts us.

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

More likely to be the late equaliser at Fulham that hurts us.

Aye, true. I reckon that this next round of games might go a long way to settling it. If we beat Derby, and Leeds don't beat Burton, it'd be difficult to see those woollybacks recovering from that.

Also let's be honest.....if we do make the top 6.....it doesn't look half as daunting in paper as last year! 

I'd take any of Huddersfield, Reading, Fulham or Leeds over ......Brighton, Hull and Derby County.

Considering many regarded this league this season as much tougher....I think the fact we have avoided teams like Norwich, Villa, Derby, etc is a good thing! 

6 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

Hope our players don't have your spirit. 

1 minute ago, Bluesteel said:

I've heard a few pundits say they think we will go up. It's just that Fulham are on a storming run 

It really is anybody's guess what could happen.

We had no momentum in 2005 and still came through.

Utd have gone into the play offs flying and still come a cropper (like the year they lost to Burnley)

Brighton were a long way clear of everyone last year in terms of points, and have proved this year what a good side they were/are but still fluffed it last year.

a dodgy penalty/sending off/couple of injuries can change everything.