Brighton 2 : 1 Sheffield Wednesday. Official Matchday Thread.

14 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

Westwood

Palmer     Lees    Loovens   Reach

Mcman    Hutch  Bannan     Fessi

Winnall   Fletch

Subs
Wildsmith
Sasso
Pudil
Jones
Abdi (if ready) 
Wallace
Hooper (Joao if he's not ready)

I know you'll give me negatives for this but this is what I'd do. 

That's pretty much the exact team I'm hoping we start with, although I might start Pudil for the slightly more robust tackling (plus he played LB against Brighton in both semis last year and did well), keep Reach in reserve for an injection of pace on the wing or up top later in the game - we don't know yet whether Macca quite has a full high-octane 90min in him, in which case FF could switch right late on. Fletcher often gets a knock against the big lads too.

Either way, we can't be playing any hoofball tonight - fast and low on the ground up to the final third, and then whipping quick crosses and pull-backs in for the target men around the edge of the box is what I'd like to see here.

All that said, Wallace was a nightmare for them last season...

Edited by Mr. Tom

7 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

Westwood

Winnall   Fletch

Subs
Wildsmith
Sasso
Pudil
Jones
Abdi (if ready) 
Wallace

I wouldn't neg you Dylan .....don't like your team though .......be a good side against a crap team but brighton away not for me .or I suspect carlos ....we need a performance like we had at Newcastle and don't think your side could do that .

10 minutes ago, Dylan93 said:

Westwood

Winnall   Fletch

Subs
Wildsmith
Sasso
Pudil
Jones
Abdi (if ready) 
Wallace

Not solid enough in midfield for me. Wallace should definitely start given his previous performances V Brighton and last week's great goal, also need his game management knowhow. Hunt's improved a lot in his time with us and think he should be first choice. Agree with Reach at LB against Knockaert and McManaman/Winnall starting. Hopefully we play it quickly to feet, no point knocking it long with their centre backs. McM/Wallace to drop into a midfield 3 when the other is wide. FF to play in the hole and cause havoc

.....................Westwood

Hunt.........Lees.......Loovens........Reach
................Hutch......Bannan

....McM...............FF..............Wallace

.......................Winnall

35 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

A very good morning to you all. Like Ever the Pessimist, I am also struck down with a nasty bit of man-flu, as well as a horrific case of living 380 miles away from Brighton, so I won't make it tonight. First time I'll have watched us on tv since the play off second leg - I usually make a point of going whenever we're on Sky. 

Anyway, I agree with Carlos that this will be the toughest game of the season. That said, it looks like Brighton are rating it as one of their toughest too, although Newcastle will be visiting them in a few weeks too. 

I think it'll be a really good game - Brighton will be up for it after the play offs, but they ran roughshod over us at Hillsborough this season so I would hope we're also well up for it. It'll be a very tough challenge, especially with Stephens and Dunk back, but I honestly think we're going to give them a game. I'd take a point right now, but (whisper it quietly) I wouldn't be bowled over with a win either.

Winnall to start up front with Forestieri, Wallace will hopefully be up for a big game after his excellent goal last week. Have to say I wouldn't mind Reach or Fox in at left back as Pudil is turning into a big weak link.

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Brighton 1-2 Wednesday 

(Murray 30, Winnall 69, Bannan 90+1)

36 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

A very good morning to you all. Like Ever the Pessimist, I am also struck down with a nasty bit of man-flu, as well as a horrific case of living 380 miles away from Brighton, so I won't make it tonight. First time I'll have watched us on tv since the play off second leg - I usually make a point of going whenever we're on Sky. 

Anyway, I agree with Carlos that this will be the toughest game of the season. That said, it looks like Brighton are rating it as one of their toughest too, although Newcastle will be visiting them in a few weeks too. 

I think it'll be a really good game - Brighton will be up for it after the play offs, but they ran roughshod over us at Hillsborough this season so I would hope we're also well up for it. It'll be a very tough challenge, especially with Stephens and Dunk back, but I honestly think we're going to give them a game. I'd take a point right now, but (whisper it quietly) I wouldn't be bowled over with a win either.

Winnall to start up front with Forestieri, Wallace will hopefully be up for a big game after his excellent goal last week. Have to say I wouldn't mind Reach or Fox in at left back as Pudil is turning into a big weak link.

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Brighton 1-2 Wednesday 

(Murray 30, Winnall 69, Bannan 90+1)

Get well soon mate: No pain on earth like man 'flu. Only things in the same ball park are standing on an upturned plug barefoot and plucking nose hairs.

8 minutes ago, robswfc said:

Not solid enough in midfield for me. Wallace should definitely start given his previous performances V Brighton and last week's great goal, also need his game management knowhow. Hunt's improved a lot in his time with us and think he should be first choice. Agree with Reach at LB against Knockaert and McManaman/Winnall starting. Hopefully we play it quickly to feet, no point knocking it long with their centre backs. McM/Wallace to drop into a midfield 3 when the other is wide. FF to play in the hole and cause havoc

.....................Westwood

Hunt.........Lees.......Loovens........Reach
................Hutch......Bannan

....McM...............FF..............Wallace

.......................Winnall

Also good. Would def be my alternate setup choice, this.

Very hard leaving Fletch out of starting line-up for me in these big games though - feel he's one of our most committed soldiers when we're facing difficulties. I think he might fare better now we've got Winnall tbh; he can drop a little deeper for link-up duties and let Winall sit on the shoulder of the defence with his quicker movement. Fletch's relative struggle this season has primarily been down to lack of movement nearby, IMO...I'd like to see how the two of them work together, rather than it always being a case of one in, one out.

Mind you, this match is hardly the time for experimenting, I readily admit. lol

Teams that have had a great run often go on a mini slump after the run ends. It's almost as if they expect to win every week and then can't handle losing when it happens. Based on this rule (which I've just made up) plus the fact that we've got tay tay and shadow llama I can't see anything other than a win for us.

Keep it tight first half with the wide midfielders tucking in, let our defence frustrate them then second half bring on super Mac and Winnall, they won't know what's hit them. 

2 hours ago, The only way is S6 said:

Quality omdt as per usual.

News at 10am.

BONG! Badger head Houghton says we're stronger.

BONG! Carlos says for sure, fight for 3 points & we always go to win.

BONG! Isn't fit.

Come on Wednesday. 0-0 at half time, pinch a 1-0 win in a classic 90's Italian away win type of thing.

Would make the news better if they hit the bong before each new story.

Top work 

13 minutes ago, Miffed said:

I dont.

I hope they are all fit. I dont want them to have any excuses after we have beaten them.

Not bothered about excuses, all I care about is the points...it's all that matters in the end.

They will be up for this after Preston and the Playoffs - will be tough match

This will be won or lost in midfield - we have to match them or we will struggle to get anything.

How CC sets us up will be key.

1-1

I would have Hutch and Jones in the middle.

If one gets pulled out of position, there is another one there, they can cover all the midfield.

Let the fancy play come from McManamanamanaman and Forestieri.

Then the overlapping fullbacks, when they can.

40 minutes ago, MAL said:

I would have Hutch and Jones in the middle.

If one gets pulled out of position, there is another one there, they can cover all the midfield.

Let the fancy play come from McManamanamanaman and Forestieri.

Then the overlapping fullbacks, when they can.

Hmmm... I'd be pretty confident in our defending with those two as a central pairing but we had that pairing for most of the Rotherham game and I've rarely seen us look so utterly devoid of ideas going forward. Feel like that would be good if we get in the lead and are trying to defend it, or if we're getting battered and have to accept the best we can manage is nicking a point.

Afternoon chums...........specially the MGG and his highness the squire of Preston.

Struggling with this one TBH...........of course we can do a Toon ****** and grab, but, if we start slowly we could be 2 down by HT with no way back. OR we can play our usual lethargic first 45 .........go in 0-0 at HT and come out and rip them a new one in the last 20 mins.

Can I predict it.......NO and I doubt anyone else can......I just want a very professional performance for the cameras and win lose or draw we can walk away from our hardest game left of the season.

Ollie says Brighton's full of woolly woofters and Ollie doesn't do those of the other persuasion...........a local dog came after him once and I've never seen him react with bared teeth and loads of noise. So lets be 'avin it as Delia would say..........get into the weekend with a least a point. Derby can flip right off.

1-0 to the Massive.........has to be Winn at all costs. Safe journey to anyone travelling and wrap up warm.

COME ON WEDNESDAY