Brighton 2 : 1 Sheffield Wednesday. Official Matchday Thread.

xQCou0V.png          BJyDHtd.png

Falmer Stadium, Brighton.

19:45 Friday, 20 January 2017.

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

oBnSXTj.jpg

“Eeeeeeeeee! Look at it! What an ugly bugger. It has a big, bright yellow pecker and everything. Chuck a stone at it to scare it off before it nicks all the chips”.

fAh4qYr.jpg

“You can’t do things like that these days, love. That is considered as cruelty to animals”

md0e5Pg.jpg

“It is staring at my knockers though and now it is even perching upside down! Can’t you challenge it to a game of football or something?”

Reyt! 

Brighton. Away.

We will drink all their beer, shag all their lasses and beat them at the football. Six - nil to us. Easy.

MATCHDAY THINGS

Official Matchday Pie: Seagull and Onion

Official Matchday Drink: Bleedin’ Watney’s Red Barrel

Official Matchday Song: "Funk Around The Sun" by Mister T…

Brighton centre-back Lewis Dunk is available to return from a two-match suspension while midfielder Emma Dale Stephens is fit again after illness. Defender Sebastien Pocococognoli has recovered from a thigh problem but left-back Gaetan Bong (knee) is out.

Sheffield Wednesday could give a first start to striker Sam Winnall after he made his debut from the bench against Huddersfield on Saturday. Winger Callum McManaman should be available.

Victory would take Brighton, whose 18-match unbeaten run was ended by Preston last Saturday, back to the top of the Championship table. (Boooooooo!)

Wednesday beat the Seagulls in the Championship play-off semi-finals last season, having finished three places and 15 points behind Chris Hughton's side in 2015-16.

Brighton boss Chris Hughton told BBC Sussex:

"Last season Sheffield Wednesday were exceptional. I'd see them as stronger than last season, but that is the quality of the league at the moment. They have a very good side and know how to get results. It is a team we know very well, from our exploits against them this season and last. I hope it is the right type of game for us. We came away from a defeat at Preston knowing it can happen in this division if you are not playing at the levels you need to play at. It is always about learning from it and bouncing back.”

Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal told BBC Radio Sheffield:

"It will be a big challenge of course. I think this will be the hardest game we have had this season. They have lost just one game in 19. We must understand that they achieved 15 more points than us last season and they have increased their team with quality players. They are stronger this season. Like all teams they have weak points and we have to exploit that.”

1DqemGZ.png Head To Head V1LHByE.png

▪     This is the first meeting between these sides at the Amex Stadium since last season's play-off semi-final, which ended in a 1-1 draw with Wednesday progressing 3-1 on aggregate.

▪    The Owls lost 2-1 to Brighton in October - they have never lost twice to the Seagulls in the same league season.

▪    Brighton played Sheffield Wednesday on a Friday in a Championship encounter in September 2012, winning 3-0 courtesy of goals from Wayne Bar-B-Q Bridge, Craig Mackail-Picalilli-Smith and Will Brownsauce-Buckley.

▪    Two of Wednesday's last three away Championship goals have been scored in the 90th minute (Steven Fletcher v Reading and Adam Reach v Preston).

▪    The Seagulls have conceded just 17 league goals this season, their fewest after 25 matches of a season in their history.    

kfzgSEt.png

KING CARLOS’ PEARLS OF WISDOM

“We always go for the three points, never in my life have we gone to a stadium for a draw. Sometimes we achieve, sometimes we don’t, but we always go to fight for the three points. It will be a big challenge of course. But it was a big challenge to us when we went to Huddersfield and Newcastle, who were in the first positions in that moment. I think this one will be the hardest because they have lost just one game since September, they lose their last game but at home they are strong.

fybxUsh.jpg

Comparing with last season, we must understand they achieved 15 more points than us in the Championship. Since then, they increase the team with quality players and improved the squad. They are more strong, for sure. They are one of the strongest teams in the competition, playing at home gives them more percentage to be favourites. They are in second position but it will be 11 v 11 and two teams trying to do their best. Whether one team is the favourite is not important.

Again, we are Sheffield Wednesday, we go there to fight and play our football and try to do our best to achieve the three points - understanding it will be one of the toughest games.”

MINTYNESS

QSTtWLI.gif

See a seagull - think of French waiters. Not sure why.

Possibly the attitude.

Anyway. Excellent start to proceeding Pauli , hope the team follow through. 

Wish Dunk was still suspended though. 

Got a feeling for either a 2-2 draw. 

Or one team to smash the other by 3 goals to nil.

Hopefully us. Fernando (pen) and Winnall takes it all (2)

Edited by Lord Snooty

7 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

See a seagull - think of French waiters. Not sure why.

Possibly the attitude.

Anyway. Excellent start to proceeding Pauli , hope the team follow through. 

Wish Dunk was still suspended though. 

Got a feeling for either a 2-2 draw. 

Or one team to smash the other by 3 goals to nil.

Hopefully us. Fernando (pen) and Winnall takes it all (2)

It maybe the similar  smell .

1 minute ago, Captain Sl-OWL-ly said:

Not too sure why us shagging all there lasses should be a problem for them though,

It is planned as a spontaneous, interactive art exhibition.

I've never squirted a posh southern bird tho.

It is about time.

2 minutes ago, pauli said:

It is planned as a spontaneous, interactive art exhibition.

I've never squirted a posh southern bird tho.

It is about time.

Gerrin there, apparently the posh southern Brighton boys haven't either !

You'll be much appreciated lol

sorry, must be all the butch Brexit stuff gerrin to me...

Once again Pauli you've delivered a quality OMTD!

toughest game of the season so far coming up and even though I'd love a big win to stuff down Brighton's beaks I'd realistically take a point right now

head says 0-0 

heart says 0-4 

Come on Wednesday! 

RELEASE THE LLAMA

AND BATTER A SEAGULL

THEN GO OUT ON THE PISH

WITH AH SAMMY WINNALL

image.png

2 minutes ago, pauli said:

This is remarkable.

My wife runs a modest art gallery. I'm going to have a word. Artist in residence for March 2017?

You sarcastic bugger Pauli!

:duntmatter:

You've shattered my hopes and dreams

im never gonna use ms paint half cut again! 

Edited by LJH1867OWLS

Get in!! Friday night football and Pauli's thread = awesome. 

Brighton though..

giphy.gif

Morning all. Hope you're keeping well. Just back from a lovely swim at Mooloolaba beach. Heaven on earth. 

Going to be a tough one this and have to say I'd take a draw right now if offered. Chance for Winnall to get a good run out against top championship opposition. Looking forward to it.