Are L##DS a far bigger club than us

Villa are the biggest club in this division, not Leeds. Villa haven't been outside the top division in almost 30 years. The main difference between Leeds and Wednesday is the fan base. Leeds' intrinsic fan base isn't bigger than Wednesday's, but Leeds built a fan base outside of the Leeds area during the Revie years which persists to this day. There are more Leeds fans in Sheffield than there are Wednesday fans in Leeds. That means more merchandising and a bigger turnover. The real problem with Wednesday was the way the club was run, with no owner. That system was defunct the day the maximum wage was abolished, and it hampered the club for years. Revie could never have done at Hillsborough what he did at Leeds, because the money wasn't there.

2 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Villa are the biggest club in this division, not Leeds. Villa haven't been outside the top division in almost 30 years. The main difference between Leeds and Wednesday is the fan base. Leeds' intrinsic fan base isn't bigger than Wednesday's, but Leeds built a fan base outside of the Leeds area during the Revie years which persists to this day. There are more Leeds fans in Sheffield than there are Wednesday fans in Leeds. That means more merchandising and a bigger turnover. The real problem with Wednesday was the way the club was run, with no owner. That system was defunct the day the maximum wage was abolished, and it hampered the club for years. Revie could never have done at Hillsborough what he did at Leeds, because the money wasn't there.

Could our time be on the way, cc has the ability and dc the money, the Leeds set up is fragile at present, maybe we can do what they did in the revie years 

Just now, debram said:

Could our time be on the way, cc has the ability and dc the money, the Leeds set up is fragile at present, maybe we can do what they did in the revie years 

Football is about money these days, and we have more than Leeds. Now we have an owner then it's a much more level playing field, and had we modernized decades ago then I'm sure we'd have been very successful. Were Chansiri at Elland Road he'd be allowed to spend more than here, because Leeds' turnover is bigger. But he's here, not there. lol

49 minutes ago, zico.b said:

Leeds facts for the debate.

League Titles - 3 (SWFC - 4)

FA Cup - 1 (SWFC - 3)

League Cup - 1 (SWFC - 1)

Ground - Rented (SWFC - Owned)

Average Attendance - 26,040 (SWFC - 26,894)

City Rivals Average Attendance - One Team City (SUFC - 20,141)

aaaaaaand close thread.

I'd say Leeds are a better known, more fashionable club than Wednesday - and that's because Leeds' success is more recent than ours.

We are the most successful club in terms of major honours won, that can't even be disputed.

In my life time, Leeds' attendances have generally been better than ours - not by much, but still better.

And that is where the advantage of being a one-club city comes in. Sheffield accommodates 2 professional football clubs and has a host of League clubs in close proximity - Barnsley, Rotherham, Doncaster and Chesterfield - who get c. 25,000 between them. Leeds have Huddersfield and Bradford.

Their fans rattle on about having a rugby team - so did Sheffield, and had a majorly successful Ice Hockey team - but that's no excuse for, what is a relatively poor Leeds home following, given their one club city status.

For the sake of argument, I'll go with Leeds being the bigger club - most neutrals would probably say this too - but Wednesday are the most successful - which is a fact.

5 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Football is about money these days, and we have more than Leeds. Now we have an owner then it's a much more level playing field, and had we modernized decades ago then I'm sure we'd have been very successful. Were Chansiri at Elland Road he'd be allowed to spend more than here, because Leeds' turnover is bigger. But he's here, not there. lol

Ok but why do they have a bigger turnover, our matchday income must be more than theirs, dc our sponsor, is it other off field activities? 

Our 1929 side is still statistically the greatest club side in English football history because it won the most competitive league ever. In real terms this means the 1928-29 division 1 bottom three were still good sides who would've done well most other seasons.

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

not much between Wednesday and leeds  but a massive gulf between the cities of  Sheffield and leeds when it comes to the number of football supporters........

Yes and a massive gulf when it comes to sport in general,  ice hockey,  basketball,  athletics etc,  they come nowhere near us 

I think actually in Leeds itself they are just as many Rhinos Rugby league fans as they are Leeds United football fans.

When I am in Leeds its surprising how many Rugby league shirts you see with it being a minority sport in Sheffield.

Leeds United pull in quite a lot of fans from places like Wakefield and Harrogate as well.

villa and Newcastle are far bigger than leeds. villa sold out away end even though it was a category a game and something like £43 ,Newcastle will be same. we will take 6000 to Barnsley just up road leeds just over 1000 strange ,but because leeds are such a horrible club with total morons supporting there club I think it puts a lot off going especially with kids. my son has had to witness twice there morons trying to smash glass out of tram windows in last 2 years and seen them scrapping as they passed our lot near tram stop. I know there not all like that ,but there a very arrogant lot think they are bigger than everyone and have a few thousand morons who follow them .

1 hour ago, zico.b said:

Leeds facts for the debate.

League Titles - 3 (SWFC - 4)

FA Cup - 1 (SWFC - 3)

League Cup - 1 (SWFC - 1)

Ground - Rented (SWFC - Owned)

Average Attendance - 26,040 (SWFC - 26,894)

City Rivals Average Attendance - One Team City (SUFC - 20,141)

You sure about the league titles won ?

League winning seasons puts them on 6 v swfc with 9

We have won more trophies than them and have a higher home attendance this season by 1k despite being a little below them in the table. Overall there is very little in the size of both if you think otherwise your deluded. Yes away support is better from them but come the end of the season I'll guarantee we won't be far behind their average , maybe us 2500k average ish them 3 or something