Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

1 hour ago, East Yorks Owl said:

All this talk of throwing big money at star players reminds me of the story of the Oakland Athletics baseball team which was dramatised by the Brad Pitt movie Moneyball. It's currently on Netflix and well worth a viewing. Based on a true story it's basically about how a small budget team like Oakland set a major league record of 20 straight wins by analysing prospective players to measure their worth versus cost for the team. They hired a Yale economics graduate to process the player analysis from a mathematics formula.  I'm not saying football recruitment should be carried out by mathematics boffins, but I do believe that a lot of player recruitment is very poor business. Assuming all teams have an overall budget, surely the art of player recruitment is about blending a group of players that make you great as a whole?

Brentford, who operate on what is essentially a glorified League One budget, take this approach exactly and are now an established Championship side that year after year finish in mid table... way beyond what should be their station. 

It's the way forward, unfortunately I think football has been stuck in a bit of a rut and run by dinosaurs that haven't cottoned on yet that it can be of huge help to make signings based on these facts. Not sure if recent player recruitment at Wednesday has took this into account, and if so by how much, but hopefully we're now using it to influence our decision about certain buys alongside the traditional methods. 

There's a lot on here crying out for this other centre back and I'm not too sure why, I've genuinely never seen a bad game from sasso. Is it because we need to spend money for a replacement. Also loovens is very underrated by some on here. His record speaks for himself.

but I do share concerns interns of depth if injuries suspensions start to take place cause I don't want hutch taking out midfield and we don't want another situation where semi is lining up centre back.

I want to trust in Carlos that urby is injured and has a role to play based on that I think we have more than enough at left back. Right back could be improved but I think both hunt and palmer are steady enough ( still would like to see this strengthening) based on goals this year I say we need a striker 

but for mw we need to shift out 

sougo

mcgugan

bus

deilena

melo

semi will be peanuts and his attitude and love is worth keeping until his contract is up

matias can go on loan

if we get in a striker and we can get sone £££££ for big dave then let him go and loan out Joao for me Joao hasn't shown enough and i would more than take £3 million for him if an offered came him 

it's not a overhaul it's cleaning up the players that are not even on the fringe of making the bench with the exception of improving our forward line

if you look at our goals scored against goals conceded in comparison to the rest around us and at the top for me to improve we need to add goals that's why I go another striker 

23 minutes ago, waddleisgod said:

The Bizzle said he was coming to us and that's good enough for me

No he didn't, best not put words in his mouth, he won't be pleased.

He said a deal had been agreed in principle between us, 'Boro and Rhodes. Obviously that deal in principle has been agreed but not signed... it seems pretty obvious that if 'Boro had a choice they'd like to sell, and I imagine if a club comes with an offer matching their price tag, they'll do so. 

5 minutes ago, Baggiehy said:

In all Seriousness I think that was Scott Hogan

Was it ? Genuinely thought Bruce was talking about Gestede / Boro on Sky last night , saying two clubs were talking and he had nothing further to add....  Must have Mis heard mate 

18 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Brentford, who operate on what is essentially a glorified League One budget, take this approach exactly and are now an established Championship side that year after year finish in mid table... way beyond what should be their station. 

It's the way forward, unfortunately I think football has been stuck in a bit of a rut and run by dinosaurs that haven't cottoned on yet that it can be of huge help to make signings based on these facts. Not sure if recent player recruitment at Wednesday has took this into account, and if so by how much, but hopefully we're now using it to influence our decision about certain buys alongside the traditional methods. 

Southampton utilize the 'analytics' approach as well. They hired Ralph Kruger - an NHL hockey coach with a background in using analytics to squeeze as much results out of a small squad (his one season with Edmonton a few years ago almost got them into the playoffs with a young inexperienced team on a crap budget). He took over Southampton 2 or 3 years ago and translated it to football recruitment, and now Southampton are consistently top 7-9 every year despite selling half their team for top dollar and then recruiting relative unknowns on the cheap and reloading the team every year. I swear, Southampton are making profits outside of the Sky TV deal and still competing for Europe every season. It works with the right people. 

15 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

Was it ? Genuinely thought Bruce was talking about Gestede / Boro on Sky last night , saying two clubs were talking and he had nothing further to add....  Must have Mis heard mate 

My sausage fingers quoted you forgetting it wouldn't include the post you quote linking Rhodes with West Brom. To my Knowledge We haven't been linked to Rhodes just scott hogan. Gestede has been ruled out as we'd have to build a stables and noone particulary wants to shovel donkey poo

1 hour ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I think it could be a blessing in disguise if we miss out on Rhodes. Firstly is he that much better than our existing striking options and secondly could the money be spent in other areas more needy of improvement? 

Also it has to be said that we aren't doing that badly with our current squad and it appears that the team morale is first class. If it ain't broke why try and fix it?

All this talk of throwing big money at star players reminds me of the story of the Oakland Athletics baseball team which was dramatised by the Brad Pitt movie Moneyball. It's currently on Netflix and well worth a viewing. Based on a true story it's basically about how a small budget team like Oakland set a major league record of 20 straight wins by analysing prospective players to measure their worth versus cost for the team. They hired a Yale economics graduate to process the player analysis from a mathematics formula.  I'm not saying football recruitment should be carried out by mathematics boffins, but I do believe that a lot of player recruitment is very poor business. Assuming all teams have an overall budget, surely the art of player recruitment is about blending a group of players that make you great as a whole?

Got CSE   C minus, in maths, but here goes,

Sheffield Wednesday + Jordan Rhodes = Goals

That was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be

26 minutes ago, Baggiehy said:

My sausage fingers quoted you forgetting it wouldn't include the post you quote linking Rhodes with West Brom. To my Knowledge We haven't been linked to Rhodes just scott hogan. Gestede has been ruled out as we'd have to build a stables and noone particulary wants to shovel donkey poo

Well it's got to be better than playing for Cardiff  :ph34r: