Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

3 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I think it could be a blessing in disguise if we miss out on Rhodes. Firstly is he that much better than our existing striking options and secondly could the money be spent in other areas more needy of improvement? 

Also it has to be said that we aren't doing that badly with our current squad and it appears that the team morale is first class. If it ain't broke why try and fix it?

All this talk of throwing big money at star players reminds me of the story of the Oakland Athletics baseball team which was dramatised by the Brad Pitt movie Moneyball. It's currently on Netflix and well worth a viewing. Based on a true story it's basically about how a small budget team like Oakland set a major league record of 20 straight wins by analysing prospective players to measure their worth versus cost for the team. They hired a Yale economics graduate to process the player analysis from a mathematics formula.  I'm not saying football recruitment should be carried out by mathematics boffins, but I do believe that a lot of player recruitment is very poor business. Assuming all teams have an overall budget, surely the art of player recruitment is about blending a group of players that make you great as a whole?

I think that's brentfords approach now. Also think that's how Mahrez was scouted based on his attributes rather than watching him play. Great film, great post :)

4 minutes ago, everydayiswednesday said:

Could be a deal for villa to get Rhodes

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38470375

Except that Bruce says he is needing to sell one of his 6 strikers to finance a deal for a defender / midfielder!

If he needs to sell to bring in someone, they're edging towards FFP limits in my eyes.

9 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I think it could be a blessing in disguise if we miss out on Rhodes. Firstly is he that much better than our existing striking options and secondly could the money be spent in other areas more needy of improvement? 

Also it has to be said that we aren't doing that badly with our current squad and it appears that the team morale is first class. If it ain't broke why try and fix it?

All this talk of throwing big money at star players reminds me of the story of the Oakland Athletics baseball team which was dramatised by the Brad Pitt movie Moneyball. It's currently on Netflix and well worth a viewing. Based on a true story it's basically about how a small budget team like Oakland set a major league record of 20 straight wins by analysing prospective players to measure their worth versus cost for the team. They hired a Yale economics graduate to process the player analysis from a mathematics formula.  I'm not saying football recruitment should be carried out by mathematics boffins, but I do believe that a lot of player recruitment is very poor business. Assuming all teams have an overall budget, surely the art of player recruitment is about blending a group of players that make you great as a whole?

TBH I made a similar statement myself about a week back i.e. sometimes team spirit is the key, we were doing well, and why try to fix something that is working ok. But that doesn't alter the fact that the JR link is looking more feasible.

2 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Except that Bruce says he is needing to sell one of his 6 strikers to finance a deal for a defender / midfielder!

If he needs to sell to bring in someone, they're edging towards FFP limits in my eyes.

If they sell Gestede to Boro then it helps part finance the deal for Rhodes and removes a striker form Villa's books.

Can't see them being stuck financially if they can afford to turn down £25 million for a full back.

2 hours ago, Mr Mercury said:

Boro have been heavily linked with Rudy Gestede from Villa.... Could be used as a deal with/for Rhodes perhaps ?? If not, and Boro land Gestede , I would think Rhodes would drop further down pecking order there.

Wasnt there rumours of him going to West Brom ? 

3 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

TBH I made a similar statement myself about a week back i.e. sometimes team spirit is the key, we were doing well, and why try to fix something that is working ok. But that doesn't alter the fact that the JR link is looking more feasible.

Fact? Based upon what?

2 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

If they sell Gestede to Boro then it helps part finance the deal for Rhodes and removes a striker form Villa's books.

Can't see them being stuck financially if they can afford to turn down £25 million for a full back.

They were probably trying to drum up interest in him. He looked crap against Leeds. 

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

Tbf I'm not out to shoot the messenger and I'm not saying JR isn't a decent player.  Interestingly Michael Lewis, the author of the Moneyball story and other numerous Wall St books, was on Radio 5 last week promoting his new book. The radio presenter asked him about Moneyball and Michael Lewis said that based on his discussions with the man responsible of the Athletics recruitment, he believed football (soccer) as a sport had the most potential out of any sport to benefit from this type of analytical recruitment, because currently most clubs do not apply this type of cost to benefit analysis and hence waste millions.

As with all things of this nature we're all pretty comfortable spending someone else's money. If it was our own money would we be chasing a JR type striker or spending our money in other areas? 

1 minute ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Tbf I'm not out to shoot the messenger and I'm not saying JR isn't a decent player.  Interestingly Michael Lewis, the author of the Moneyball story and other numerous Wall St books, was on Radio 5 last week promoting his new book. The radio presenter asked him about Moneyball and Michael Lewis said that based on his discussions with the man responsible of the Athletics recruitment, he believed football (soccer) as a sport had the most potential out of any sport to benefit from this type of analytical recruitment, because currently most clubs do not apply this type of cost to benefit analysis and hence waste millions.

As with all things of this nature we're all pretty comfortable spending someone else's money. If it was our own money would we be chasing a JR type striker or spending our money in other areas? 

The latter if it was my money. But it isn't, and Mr C seems like a man who'd like to get us promoted this season.

1 minute ago, theowlsman said:

The latter if it was my money. But it isn't, and Mr C seems like a man who'd like to get us promoted this season.

To be clear Mr C has already gone "all in" with our club, so promotion is the only way he'll see a return on his investment. He appears to be a decent bloke, but ultimately he's a businessman. Working on the basis that there's only so much he can invest into the squad the debate is all about getting the best return for the investment. I know many posters argue that we don't need full backs because our defensive record is good, but personally I believe we are crying out for better quality full backs who are more comfortable on the ball and who carry a goal threat. Also Loovens is unlikely to stay fit for prolonged periods based on his age and history so a quality CB would be high on my shopping list. All about opinions though.

1 minute ago, East Yorks Owl said:

To be clear Mr C has already gone "all in" with our club, so promotion is the only way he'll see a return on his investment. He appears to be a decent bloke, but ultimately he's a businessman. Working on the basis that there's only so much he can invest into the squad the debate is all about getting the best return for the investment. I know many posters argue that we don't need full backs because our defensive record is good, but personally I believe we are crying out for better quality full backs who are more comfortable on the ball and who carry a goal threat. Also Loovens is unlikely to stay fit for prolonged periods based on his age and history so a quality CB would be high on my shopping list. All about opinions though.

Not going to argue with sound logic mate to be fair

2 hours ago, siggi jonsson said:

Hes signed on loan will play against Wolves Monday 

Announced 1/1/17 00:01 

From One of our players 

OK I'll bite... Seems that the McManaman deal which is identical to what you state has already been announced. Yet a more marquee signing that would help to sell tickets over the weekend hasn't Secondly was the unnamed player in a KFC?

Just now, Baggiehy said:

OK I'll bite... Seems that the McManaman deal which is identical to what you state has already been announced. Yet a more marquee signing that would help to sell tickets over the weekend hasn't Secondly was the unnamed player in a KFC?

No , he was in Subway on Leppings Lane lol