Jordan Rhodes and Sheffield Wednesday - Latest

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Can't see him signing for a premiership club, not sure he's good enough if I'm honest. If he was you'd think he'd have had more chances this season as Boro are joint lowest scorers in the league and he can't get a look in. 

That reason alone scares the hell out of me when I see the numbers involved in any deal... 

rhodes is like a fantasy, or s girl you have had a crush on for years.... we've built it up over so many years. If it finally happened it's likely to not live up to our expectations. 

F*****n Hell. Talk about a one man hatchet job campaign. 

Give you your due, you never miss a chance.

Anyway, off up over the Snake and onwards to see our boys muller them Preston tw**s. Especially that Ben Pearson. Serious injury inflicted i hope.

2 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Anyway, off up over the Snake and onwards to see our boys muller them Preston tw**s. Especially that Ben Pearson. Serious injury inflicted i hope.

Just my opinion that he isn't the lord and savior reincarnated or the answer to all of our woes... 

enjoy the game! Hope Hutch gets into Pearson early on! 

Im hopeful that today's the day we score 3!! 

Guest Copthorneowl
48 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

I heard that too, but on reflection why would Boro consider letting Rhodes go to Hull? Hull currently look like relegation candidates, but if Rhodes came and was a success why would Boro want to help them. Surely makes sense to only allow Rhodes to go to a Championship club.

Pretty sure East Yorks that all Boro want is there money back they'd sell him to anybody for the 11m they paid. Even Sunderland.

Guest mrbluesky
1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

Can't see him signing for a premiership club, not sure he's good enough if I'm honest. If he was you'd think he'd have had more chances this season as Boro are joint lowest scorers in the league and he can't get a look in. 

That reason alone scares the hell out of me when I see the numbers involved in any deal... 

rhodes is like a fantasy, or s girl you have had a crush on for years.... we've built it up over so many years. If it finally happened it's likely to not live up to our expectations. 

Totally agree with you here,I`ve probably seen him play more than most on here,obviously CC is interested but I`m unsure JR will fit in to our style of play, he`s very `Hooper esq` but  again I`d prefer Hooper from what I`ve seen,If you think Hooper`s lazy JR is  worse and some,

JR had fantastic service by some quality players at Blackburn,what you have to ask yourself is why isn`t he  getting a game at Boro while they are struggling? why have Premiership clubs showed little interest in him?

If he signs then great you can`t not want another striker on the books,but again for me I`m happy with how things are going yeah we aren`t scoring for fun this season but don`t you think that might be a little down to confidence,we more or less have the same strikers as last season.

I`ve said it before, with our scouting network surely their are players out there for a fraction of the cost? after all at the end of the day Rhodes would be a massive gamble

I genuinely believe a full back or two and a centre half will get us over the line, if we get a full back supporting Callum Mcmanaman I think you will see a difference up front as I feel we still don`t have a player at the club that can whip a ball in,well this lad can! so fingers crossed

Guest mrbluesky
31 minutes ago, bigthinrob said:

Wind yer neck in,it`s an opinion,hardly a `hatchet job` this is a forum these things happen,you know posters debate topics,that`s how these sites work.:rolleyes:

I know I'm not the only one who can't get excited at the prospect of signing Jordan Rhodes, but still ...

I honestly think he's overrated, overvalued and overpaid

However, if Carlos and/or Mr C decide his loan fee and wages are money well spent, and the possible disruption to the dressing room of bringing in a temporary signing who's likely to take home twice as much as our current top-earner is worth the risk?

Then I suppose I'll just have to shrug off the disappointment and hope for the best          :biggrin:

Rhodes signing just keeps us one dimensional. It's delivery to the strikers from wide or through the middle that's missing. If we do add anything up front it will be mobility and pace.

We could do with three quality defenders to have CCs aim of 2 equally good players in each position.

2 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

Rhodes signing just keeps us one dimensional. It's delivery to the strikers from wide or through the middle that's missing. If we do add anything up front it will be mobility and pace.

What makes you say that?

If you compare us to the league's runaway leading scorers in Newcastle United, we're no less proficient than them at creating chances

Newcastle United               Sheffield Wednesday

Shots per game:            14.3                                       14.0

Shots on target:               5.3 (37%)                              4.4 (31%)

% shots inside area:      57.0                                       60.0

Goals scored:                 48                                          27

So if we're creating a comparable number of shooting opportunities to Newcastle every game, with a comparable number of these chances coming inside the 18 yard box... where do you suppose the problem lies?

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

Totally agree with you here,I`ve probably seen him play more than most on here,obviously CC is interested but I`m unsure JR will fit in to our style of play, he`s very `Hooper esq` but  again I`d prefer Hooper from what I`ve seen,If you think Hooper`s lazy JR is  worse and some,

JR had fantastic service by some quality players at Blackburn,what you have to ask yourself is why isn`t he  getting a game at Boro while they are struggling? why have Premiership clubs showed little interest in him?

If he signs then great you can`t not want another striker on the books,but again for me I`m happy with how things are going yeah we aren`t scoring for fun this season but don`t you think that might be a little down to confidence,we more or less have the same strikers as last season.

I`ve said it before, with our scouting network surely their are players out there for a fraction of the cost? after all at the end of the day Rhodes would be a massive gamble

I genuinely believe a full back or two and a centre half will get us over the line, if we get a full back supporting Callum Mcmanaman I think you will see a difference up front as I feel we still don`t have a player at the club that can whip a ball in,well this lad can! so fingers crossed

Love this!! 

Also believe that in bringing in another winger, adding to Reach left and FF roaming creates a problem for oppositions of who to mark and how much room they can give us. 

Whilst I'm a big fan of Wallace he is fairly one dimensional at times and that's if he's playing not another center mid. 

So so having a big man up top, tricky battler along side him or a potent finisher with pace on either flank should really give the opposition something to worry about.

goals will come, my only concern is can we keep the defense fit and if fit as solid as it has been when we have more focus on attacking. 

3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

What makes you say that?

If you compare us to the league's runaway leading scorers in Newcastle United, we're no less proficient than them at creating chances

So if we're creating a comparable number of shooting opportunities to Newcastle every game, with a comparable number of these chances coming inside the 18 yard box... where do you suppose the problem lies?

K'n hell SO just thought you was a run of the mill crappy student but you know your stuff .... Impressed but can you do the 16 pint challenge?

Edited by Holmes

5 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

What makes you say that?

100% agreee this season finishing has been poor by a variety of players for a variety of reasons. 

Some of the reasons standard footballing problems, form, injury, inability to field strongest players... 

Others though not so common, in particular FF drama and his form immediately after. He's missed sitters this season that Dave or Joao would be embarrassed of. 

But it I have faith that they will come good! 

Edited by Philb125
Missed

1 minute ago, Philb125 said:

100% agreee this season finishing has been poor by a variety of players for a variety of reasons. 

Some of the reasons standard footballing problems, form, injury, inability to field strongest players... 

Others though not so common, in particular FF drama and his form immediately after. He's missed sitters this season that Dave or Joao would be embarrassed of. 

But it I have faith that they will come good! 

Plus the two sitters Fletcher had the other night ..... does he want to leave I wonder?

5 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Plus the two sitters Fletcher had the other night ..... does he want to leave I wonder?

You have to think any starting combination of the three main forwards supported by the one left out and Joao even Dave is strong enough to compete in this league? 

18 minutes ago, Holmes said:

Sitters maybe but also their goalie played a blinder. We could have won 4 nil if it wasn't for some wonder saves.l

37 minutes ago, toooldforthis said:

We could do with three quality defenders to have CCs aim of 2 equally good players in each position.

I respect your opinion but I cant understand why people keep questioning the service. 

Our chance/conversion rate has been poor and it has cost us this season. In games we have been in control of we have missed multiple chances to take the lead. 

As we all know we are a much better side when we are a goal to the good and find it difficult to win games coming from behind with the odd exception or two. 

We we have also only beat teams by 2 goals on 2 occasions showing our inability to kill teams off. 

Even in that wonderful result at Newcastle we missed 3 great chances one of which was a peach of a cross from Bannan to Fletcher and though Darkol did brilliantly you would still say Fletcher has to score there. 

The service is fine, it's the conversion of the chances that's missing. Jordan Rhodes would vastly improve that.