Official January Transfer Window Thread

2 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Obviously we don't know what went off behind the scenes with Mcgugan, but he's way too good to be completely banished from the squad. He scores goals for a start. Something we struggle to do.

This. I actually think we miss him in midfield.

2 hours ago, pinowl said:

Has this been officially confirmed by both Rhodes and SWFC?

No why would they confirm or deny, its not the way club does business and rightly so. However its all about the money, I think they would love to but I think it will sadly be too expensive to pull off.

READING HAVE ILORI BID ACCEPTED

Reading have had a bid of £3.75m – plus add-ons – accepted by Liverpool for the 23-year-old Portugal U23 centre-back Tiago Ilori.

The decision to leave for the Championship club is now down to the player. 

4 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Obviously we don't know what went off behind the scenes with Mcgugan, but he's way too good to be completely banished from the squad. He scores goals for a start. Something we struggle to do.

Of course we know Carlos had him pencilled in for number 10 role and Lewis didn't fancy it so Carlos moved on to next big issue.

6 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Hull are appointing Marco Silva, ex-Olympiakos manager, rather out of left field that one.

If they want Joao I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go, wouldn't half mind a part-exchange deal involving some of their full backs. Would send them Abdi too if we could have Andy Robertson. Odubajo is also a fine player at right back but I assume we couldn't get him past a medical at present as he's injured.

Why would they want Joao?

40 minutes ago, elvin parsnip said:

Daft thing is Mcgugan couldn't play in our high tempo style last year but would fit right in to our slow build up play this year and has better dead ball delivery than Bannan and Wallace !! 

Hutch could be our Palmer and Mcgugan our Sheridan

Might go with the Hutch Palmer scenario but not the other one by any stretch.

Everyone has McGugan down as this lazy money grabbing cancer at the club. Besides him being frozen out for not being keen on playing a no.10 role, what evidence is there to suggest he's been a negative influence?

He had limited opportunity since Carvalhal has been here but when he has played he hasn't been lazy nor has lacked application. In my opinion he was slightly unfortunate early last season to not have more opportunity I thought his performances deserved.

That said, if he isn't going to be used then its best we try & get him moved on & free up some wages. I just think peoples attitudes towards him is pretty harsh. As he hasn't ever really let us down when called upon

43 minutes ago, Shezza said:

Why would they want Joao?

Marco Silva, ex-Olympiakos manager and new Hull Manager, is Portuguese and has played and managed in Portugal. He is another 'friend' of Mourinho. He may know about Lucas from hi time in Portugal.

5 minutes ago, mark.flem said:

Everyone has McGugan down as this lazy money grabbing cancer at the club. Besides him being frozen out for not being keen on playing a no.10 role, what evidence is there to suggest he's been a negative influence?

He had limited opportunity since Carvalhal has been here but when he has played he hasn't been lazy nor has lacked application. In my opinion he was slightly unfortunate early last season to not have more opportunity I thought his performances deserved.

That said, if he isn't going to be used then its best we try & get him moved on & free up some wages. I just think peoples attitudes towards him is pretty harsh. As he hasn't ever really let us down when called upon

Can't say I completely disagree with you, but if your earning between 10-20k a week which he clearly is and you can't even get yourself a squad number then you are letting everyone down.

Bigtime. 

18 minutes ago, mark.flem said:

I feel some sympathy for Lewis however one has to contrast this with the thousands who would give everything to be pick number 7 on the bench for their club.

Lewis had a decision to make and all he had to do was be contrite and knock on the managers door and ask for his help and advice on what he could offer to assist him in fulfilling the number 10 role. Had he done this immediately following his winner at St James I believe we would have seen more of him.

Player power has increased significantly these last few years to our knowledge Carlos has had two such situations and dealt with both admirably.  

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl
Mistake

McGugan is under contract to the club and he's a good player. If he's not even got a shirt number there must have been a major falling out with Carlos. We all think we know about the number 10 problem, maybe it is that but to be frozen out he must be considered a disruptive influence to squad cohesion or a threat to the managers authority.

I'm surprised a manager of Carlos's experience couldn't deal with the problem and keep McGugan within the squad. On the other hand we do know that this isn't the first time McGugan has ended up in this type of situation.

Best for everyone if McGugan moves on even if we need to subsidise his wages. Let the guy have a fresh start and see if he can make a go of it elsewhere.