Official January Transfer Window Thread

9 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Obviously we don't know what went off behind the scenes with Mcgugan, but he's way too good to be completely banished from the squad. He scores goals for a start. Something we struggle to do.

Yeah, seems odd (to me anyway) that it would be quite as simple as being completely frozen out for not wanting to play a certain position. Surely if thats all it is thats where a bit of man management comes in?

15:58

JUDGE UPDATE

Brentford midfielder Alan Judge says he’s relaxed about moving in the January transfer window, although he has confirmed that Brighton have now shown an interest in signing him, along with Newcastle, according to Sky sources.

However, given the choice, the player would prefer to move in the summer when he has proved his fitness and no transfer fee is due.

The Republic of Ireland international has also confirmed that the Bees will try and sell him this month because it’s their last chance to get a fee before his contract expires next summer. 

1 hour ago, Copthorneowl said:

People were ecstatic for the very reason that being he is a good player. I'm well aware he's lazy. Nobody really knows what's gone on behind the scenes but to start slagging him off (which you aren't doing btw) as many are is very unfair and fairly daft.

We were delighted to turn a loan into permanent because he was as good as we had. He's hasn't had any chances under Carlos probably fair but who knows, what is certain is on the few occasions he was brought out of mothballs (Newcastle and Cambridge away)  he was the best we had and scored in both. Personally in our striker shortage I would have brought him into the team as a striker only I'm convinced he would not have missed the sitters Joao and others did but we'll never know -think Warhurst.

Good luck LM wherever you end up mate.

Newcastle and Shrewsbury, Joao scored at Cambridge, but yes McGugan should definitely had more game time. Even if we played him out wide, as Forest used to, his delivery is so much better than any of our wingers

Guest Copthorneowl
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Newcastle and Shrewsbury, Joao scored at Cambridge, but yes McGugan should definitely had more game time. Even if we played him out wide, as Forest used to, his delivery is so much better than any of our wingers

Thanks I knew it was the two  cup games and realised I had the wrong one as soon as I pressed submit.

Personally think out wide was no good due to tracking back, as a striker he could stay up front for all I care and let others do the donkey work. He would not have spurned sitters the others did that's for sure imo.

55 minutes ago, Jazzybmzoo said:

Yet people were ecstatic when he signed.  Hindsight is a beeyatch, right?

Indeed, I was one of those ecstatic individuals. My frustration is with the club having a highly paid and very talented player on a million a year, completely frozen out. It is atrocious management and a financially inept way of working. And he ain't the only one. Add lachman, Dielna, Urby etc. What are we doing, it's bonkers!

I've never joined in the Ben Marshall hype, always seen it as a bit daft given it's been going on for five years now... However, I think I'm now joining in just as it's going out of fashion.

Way I see it, we've always wanted him as our big improvement down the wing, but his conversion to Right Back makes him even more ideal for us, as for me it's the one position that is crying out for an upgrade. Our two current Right Backs are average at best - and you don't get promoted playing average players week in, week out. 

Hunt and Palmer are capable of getting in good attacking positions, but are constantly let down by their end product, whereas Marshall's end product is superb and he's a player who will reliably hug the touchline and stretch play. Hunt and Palmer's defending is patchy at best and I don't see Marshall as a worse option in that regard either (I'll freely admit I don't know how good his defending has been but given the level of interest in him it can't be that bad).

Apparently Wolves are balking at a £2 million asking price, yes it's a lot for a player who's contract runs out in 6 months but compared to the fees we've been shelling out it's low - and given the potential improvement to the team it could be an absolute steal.

1 minute ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

I've never joined in the Ben Marshall hype, always seen it as a bit daft given it's been going on for five years now... However, I think I'm now joining in just as it's going out of fashion.

Way I see it, we've always wanted him as our big improvement down the wing, but his conversion to Right Back makes him even more ideal for us, as for me it's the one position that is crying out for an upgrade. Our two current Right Backs are average at best - and you don't get promoted playing average players week in, week out. 

Hunt and Palmer are capable of getting in good attacking positions, but are constantly let down by their end product, whereas Marshall's end product is superb and he's a player who will reliably hug the touchline and stretch play. Hunt and Palmer's defending is patchy at best and I don't see Marshall as a worse option in that regard either (I'll freely admit I don't know how good his defending has been but given the level of interest in him it can't be that bad).

Apparently Wolves are balking at a £2 million asking price, yes it's a lot for a player who's contract runs out in 6 months but compared to the fees we've been shelling out it's low - and given the potential improvement to the team it could be an absolute steal.

Or we could get him for free in the summer? 

1 minute ago, SBOwl said:

Or we could get him for free in the summer? 

Oh certainly there's a possibility we could get him in the summer - but we'd have more competition for him as the main stumbling block atm is the teams being put off by the relatively high asking price. And obviously we'd want him in to help our promotion campaign sooner rather than later.

3 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

This 

Plus he would be Ben 2 then . 

11 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Oh certainly there's a possibility we could get him in the summer - but we'd have more competition for him as the main stumbling block atm is the teams being put off by the relatively high asking price. And obviously we'd want him in to help our promotion campaign sooner rather than later.

I agree I'd buy him in now but I can see our chairman thinking he won't get us promoted so save 2 million and get home in the summer. 

His wage demands are unlikely to increase drastically. 

16 minutes ago, Twitterowl said:

Luke Ayling

Only signed for Weeds in the summer, playing well & liked by the fans I believe. So no chance of him coming to us if that's what your hiring at.