May be controversial

6 hours ago, vulva said:

But I'd swap Carlos for Steve Bruce. 

I was quite annoyed CC advertised the fact that he'd been talking to Premier League clubs. Unprofessional in my opinion.  He could have just answered in the vanilla way such questions are usually batted away. Like the guy, done a very good job, but I've a sneaky feeling he is starting to believe his own publicity. 

Bruce has a proven track record of getting teams promoted, out of this league, with more than one club. 

Your reputation count has taken a hammering in this thread. lol

Sunderland fans fans, who are accustomed to scrapping at the wrong end of the Prem, were pooing themselves at the prospect of a return of Brucie. Anyway, you wouldn't want to be anywhere near the dugout when his head finally explodes!

21 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Your reputation count has taken a hammering in this thread. lol

Never thought of that.

Ill start one later about setting some hungry alsatians onto Hemmingham and the band, and I'll soon get back to former glories!

3 hours ago, salmonbones said:

I don't buy into this philosophy.    Tactics evolve and there are always systems and setups that are more popular at any particular time - but a good manager is a good manager and will fit the players he has available into the best tactic he see's fit.

Put Big Ron as he was when he took us over into today as our manager, and I think he'd do a job comparable to what Carlos is doing but with what you call old school methods.    Sam Allardyce as England manager many would see as 10 years too late, but I think it will work.

I still don't buy into Steve Bruce as a manager, look what he did at the lane, he crippled them financially bringing in players on unsustainable wages because he needed to work with the finished article, not what Carlos has been doing - getting players who haven't made it previously, polishing them and making something out of them they failed to do elsewhere - OR getting the best back out of players who have been there and done it, but discarded as past it etc.

Going back to the OP - Its not controversial, it's bloody stupid if it's not a naff fishing attempt.

I reckon we more or less agree but i still feel some of the foreign managers bring a fresh philosophy to management. If you look at CC and Pochetino and even Mourinho, they just seem to be ahead of the game compared to British managers.

Big Ron was brilliant and a hero of mine (hence the Bigthinrob name), but he was a manager of his time, a huge motivator but i'm not sure he would have the same success now.

That's not to say some British managers like Pulis, Eddie Howe etc aren't hugely talented but i do think we've been left a little bit behind.

As for CC or Bruce, just not worthy of comparison as far as i'm concerned.

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

Never thought of that.

Ill start one later about setting some hungry alsatians onto Hemmingham and the band, and I'll soon get back to former glories!

You can have a +1 from me for that.  lol

I don't mind Steve Bruce even though he has his connections to the other side of the city. He spoke very well after the Forestieri incident and then after Wembley (yes I know its easy to be respectful after just winning a final).Wouldn't take him over Carlos though.

No way would i want to swap carlos for bruce atm. Yes bruce has promotions on his resume and yes, bruce seems like a good manager in this division. The reason why i wouldnt swap is because carlos seems to have instilled a belief in the players and the fans alike, to the point of which we haven't seen in a long time. Carlos doesnt get every decision right and no manager ever does, and although carlos has had some money to spend the transformation in optimism of the club seems to be solely down to him and the coaching staff. We might not win promotion this season and it would be a shame if we didnt but it seems as though we have got our club back and the style of football we play is a pleasure to behold. If we make 2-3 shrewd signings then we're going to be up there challenging at the business end of the league. Seems also that carlos has bought into the whole idea of having a job that he wants to see through and as long as the chairman backs him this year then i cant see him wanting to move anywhere else. The big question will come at the end of the season and whether or not we win promotion. If not, then i can see carlos moving on. But i can assure everyone that we'll be in a better position than when he joined. One day carlos will leave and he may go on to bigger things than wednesday but just for now can we all just sit back and enjoy the next season, win lose or draw and stick together and give the players the backing that shows our fans are amongst the best in the country. Was talking to an everton fan earlier who went to the arsenal cup game. Said he'd never seen fans like it before. When the whistle is blown to start our 1st game, lets all forget about ticket prices, home kit and all the other little gripes we might have with the club and get behind the players 100%. WAWAW

1 minute ago, Mishowl said:

My concern with CC is that he gets done technically by the old heads in the league.

Warnock did him like a kipper when we played Rotherham as did Bruce in the final. 

While I agree with your point I think the Rotherham game was more down to us being rubbish than them being good.

2 minutes ago, Mishowl said:

My concern with CC is that he gets done technically by the old heads in the league.

Warnock did him like a kipper when we played Rotherham as did Bruce in the final. 

Happens to every team in division mate. Im sure we'll see some major upsets in next years championship. Hopefully carlos will realise the mistakes he made last season and learn from it and come back stronger than before

For me CC is the best manager we've had since Big Ron despite how close we came to winning everything under Tricky Trev.

As regards his talking to 2 Prem clubs wasn't it a case at that time his contract was due to end come the end of the season.

In which case he'd be daft not to talk to them and DC couldn't block now though with a 3 yr deal in place different story.

Wonder if Burnley were lining up CC in case they lost Dyche to Sunderland in the wake of the Allardyce exit.....Dyche was within minutes of getting the Sunderland job last summer before Advocaat was persuaded to return only to jack it in again after a few games. By the time Advocaat threw in the towel, Allardyce had made himself available but Dyche remains in Sunderland's future thoughts should Moyes mess it up.