Stoke or Derby?

Its been many years since this type of question was relevant to us....

If you can't have both, would you prefer a win over Stoke or 3 points v Derby on Sunday?

I would love to beat Stoke, and be on TV v City or Liverpool over 2 legs, but I think we are serious contenders for 6th place, and I would take the 3 points in a heartbeat.

It would probably move us into 6th or 7th, close the gap on Derby, end the run that we haven't done well v top sides, and give the guys a massive confidence boost at the start of a tough run of fixtures.

I would prefer to beat Stoke, but that's probably because I have already mentally accepted that we won't beat Derby.  We never do.

Here's another one.  If right now you were offered a guaranteed playoff spot, or a guaranteed league cup final, which would you choose?

For me it would be the cup final.  Football is all about winning silverware, not simply making it to the Premier League.  As far as I'm concerned it's just a matter of time until we make it back to the Prem. It WILL happen at some point in the next few years, but getting to a cup final comes around once in a blue moon for a club like us.

I was too young to appreciate 91' and 93'.  I would love to get the chance to watch us play in a cup final at Wembley, and it would be even more special if we could have the opportunity to win it from the 2nd division again.

Can't see the point of having such a large squad, if you can't target both games. We don't play Derby until Sunday lunchtime, so they will have had 4 clear days recovery. It's about time we picked our best 11 every week, and stuck with it.

Derby 100% for me.

In fact if you gave me the choice between winning the league cup or getting 12 points in december, i'd tae the points all day long

Absolutely not!    Winning the League Cup at Wembley in 1991 was the highlight of my (nearly) 50 years of supporting Wednesday.  We could get 12 points in December and still not go up anyway.   If I had the choice I would take winning a trophy over promotion.  The golden memory of actually winning a cup is far better than just playing league matches in the top division.  And that memory lasts a lifetime.  Mundane league matches against the likes of Swansea, Stoke and Watford come nowhere near.

Derby is definitely the most important game for the long term future of the club, but if the choice is definitely winning the league Cup after winning at Stoke I'll take that!

Can't see the point of having such a large squad, if you can't target both games. We don't play Derby until Sunday lunchtime, so they will have had 4 clear days recovery. It's about time we picked our best 11 every week, and stuck with it.

Although I agree about playing your strongest side where possible the games moved on now and squad rotation is now massively important to a successful club.

I believe different players make the team the strongest when facing certain opposition.

Absolutely not!    Winning the League Cup at Wembley in 1991 was the highlight of my (nearly) 50 years of supporting Wednesday.  We could get 12 points in December and still not go up anyway.   If I had the choice I would take winning a trophy over promotion.  The golden memory of actually winning a cup is far better than just playing league matches in the top division.  And that memory lasts a lifetime.  Mundane league matches against the likes of Swansea, Stoke and Watford come nowhere near.

Derby is definitely the most important game for the long term future of the club, but if the choice is definitely winning the league Cup after winning at Stoke I'll take that!

Fair comment mate. Still Derby for me though. Just like i'd go back and swap the Arsenal win for one at Charlton.

We need to look at the bigger picture, and while another premier league scalp in the cup and a semi final place would be fantastic, beating Derby has to take priority for me. 3 pts on saturday would be massive for us.