Stoke or Derby?

I would prefer to beat Stoke, but that's probably because I have already mentally accepted that we won't beat Derby.  We never do.

Here's another one.  If right now you were offered a guaranteed playoff spot, or a guaranteed league cup final, which would you choose?

For me it would be the cup final.  Football is all about winning silverware, not simply making it to the Premier League.  As far as I'm concerned it's just a matter of time until we make it back to the Prem. It WILL happen at some point in the next few years, but getting to a cup final comes around once in a blue moon for a club like us.

I was too young to appreciate 91' and 93'.  I would love to get the chance to watch us play in a cup final at Wembley, and it would be even more special if we could have the opportunity to win it from the 2nd division again.

I loved the Wembley years and 91 especially.

However I'd take promotion over a cup every time. I want us to be talked about and written about. I want us to play and beat United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. I want Shearer, Lawro and co to enthuse about us. I want to see Carlos shaking LVG and Jose by the hand after beating them. I want to see Lineker interviewing Carlos on MoTD.

And it's not just a matter of time till we go up. If we don't go up THIS year we would come under massive pressure to sell Lucas and Lees. So we start again to build a team.

I want both of course, but if it HAD to be either/or it is promotion.

Its been many years since this type of question was relevant to us....

If you can't have both, would you prefer a win over Stoke or 3 points v Derby on Sunday?

I would love to beat Stoke, and be on TV v City or Liverpool over 2 legs, but I think we are serious contenders for 6th place, and I would take the 3 points in a heartbeat.

It would probably move us into 6th or 7th, close the gap on Derby, end the run that we haven't done well v top sides, and give the guys a massive confidence boost at the start of a tough run of fixtures.

I really like that question - well done. It's a tricky one. If we win against Stoke then we have a League Cup semi-final - that's for certain, however, if we beat Derby there is no guarantee that result will give us a top six finish at the end of the season, therefore, I'd go for the win against Stoke....but then again... Edited by shandypants

Stoke every single day of the week. Anyone who'd give up a semi final in the league cup for a league win needs there bumps felt.

Ah, but if we missed out on the playoffs by 2 pts....

I want the Prem, then be decent outsiders for semis year in year out.

Guest The Horse

Gimme the cup!

We can go up next year or invest in January and do both.

There's a whole generation at this club who think we are not worthy.

Get used to being arrogant sods, kids.

We're Sheffield Wednesday. We'll win all the cups!!

Stoke. All the way.

Although I think Stoke will be up for this in a way that neither Newcastle or Arsenal were, and so I think it's more likely we'll beat Derby.

Beating Derby would also be something we haven't done yet this season in the league, and that's beat one of the division's reputed top sides.

I don't care, as long as we win at least one of them I'll be over the moon.

Two leg League Cup semi final on TV against Chelsea, Everton, Hull, City, Boro, or Southampton?

Yes please.

Another three points in the league and touching those playoffs?

Yes please.

If we lose both it's still not the end of the world.

If we win both... Well, let's not get carried away.

It's not one or the other. We could win both, lose both etc. We've got a big enough squad & a fit enough squad to not prioritise one over the other.

In all honesty I can't see us beating Derby, I'd take a draw but mentally prepared for a defeat.

Push comes to shove I'd take beating Stoke and then losing to Derby. Got a lot of points to pick up in December so losing to a team who I reckon will win the league isn't a massive deal. Getting to the semi finals of a domestic cup is too much to resist for me. We could beat Derby and then lose stupidly to MK Dons. The league evens itself out eventually and the teams finish where they deserve to finish. 

But like I said. It's not one or the other, it's not a case of having to put out two different 11's. We're capable of winning both & definitely capable of losing both. 

Ah, but if we missed out on the playoffs by 2 pts....

I want the Prem, then be decent outsiders for semis year in year out.

Then so be it. The premier leagues a joke anyway - we'd have nothing to play for. Cup all the way

I loved the Wembley years and 91 especially.

However I'd take promotion over a cup every time. I want us to be talked about and written about. I want us to play and beat United, City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal. I want Shearer, Lawro and co to enthuse about us. I want to see Carlos shaking LVG and Jose by the hand after beating them. I want to see Lineker interviewing Carlos on MoTD.

And it's not just a matter of time till we go up. If we don't go up THIS year we would come under massive pressure to sell Lucas and Lees. So we start again to build a team.

I want both of course, but if it HAD to be either/or it is promotion.

Keep

Going

Don't

Stop