The dark days - who else was at this one?

Kop and stands used to empty regularly in the 70's (not that they were that full in the first place) and the cushions would go on the pitch. Getting regularly turned over at home with ease by the likes of Fulham, Orient, Millwall, Cardiff etc was not a happy experience.

Guest BRADFIELDOWLS

Losing 0 - 3 to Port Vale at home,  leaving us several points adrift at bottom of old 3rd Division in front of just under 7,000 

Later spending my first ever wage on £100 B share to avoid extinction 

nn_d.jpg

Pissed it down all day and we were on the open end at Saltergate.

Got battered for 90 minutes with Barry-Murphy and Adam Chambers getting their buttholes torn apart in midfield.

Beswetherick strutting about at left wing-back.

Tidman flapping away in goal.

Dean Smith towing caravans in defence.

Jon Shaw and Ndumbu up front shaking it about.

Chris Brunt sat on the bench - Chris Turner saw fit to make no subs though.

Division 4 loomed large that day, and the club had £30m of debt and Dave Allen steering the ship.

where is the need for wednesday supporters to wallow in misery all the time?

remember the good, and look forward to more of the same...

be positive, look to us improving...

Losing 0 - 3 to Port Vale at home,  leaving us several points adrift at bottom of old 3rd Division in front of just under 7,000 

Later spending my first ever wage on £100 B share to avoid extinction 

That was the one I mentioned earlier in the thread Bradfield...........I said around 9,000 , didn't realise it was under 7 and took us bottom as well.........no wonder it stuck in my memory!!!!!!!

Slightly higher attendance...

Sat 8 Nov 1975 PORT VALE............... 0-3  22  10,880 

You can find all info here.. http://www.adrianbullock.com/swfc/stats/swfcarch.htm

Edited by bradowl

Another game that still lives in my memory from that season:

1ZfdSmr.jpg

Plymouth absolutely dismantled us in every single regard during that game. It was like a school team playing against Barcelona. Can't believe we managed to get a goal.

Wasnt at Chezzie but was at this one, Wednesday night in winter, Plymouth brought loads mostly dressed in grass skirts and and stuff, they were going places and we were going in the opposite direction, anyone know there manager that night?

These were poor but I'm surprised no one's mentioned the 0-0 draw at Notts County around this time, fantastic weather at easter, we took around 4,000 supporters  but the match was terrible, I don't think either team had a proper attempt on goal.

I was that that one....filled the away end.....best bit about that match was the kids game at half time....more excitement watching that!

But got chased back to the coaches.

Did we, I was a posh git and had a car.......mind you it was a Maxi so not that posh.

Remember getting charged by the police and fending them off with the bar from a stantion.....strange days really when you look back and reflect, the 'kill or be killed' mentally was pretty mental back then.

worst for me was a 0-0 draw on a freezing  night at halifax 1975-76 ......i seen some crap over the years but nothing caps this game ......another standout is a 3-0 at man utd under wilson no shame in losing to them but we just laid down and surrendered that day.

20p to get in, and the only game i've ever watched from up a tree

Guest trusty_left_peg

Really enjoyed reading this thread - found it very informative as I don't know enough about your bad days.

How did you get into such a lowly position?

I only started following Wednesday from about 2009 so anything prior to then I don't have much knowledge of.

2000 to 2004's dark days was a culmination of overspending on mediocrity, poor transfer dealings and managerial hires from the mid to late 90s onwards (David Pleat through to Chris Turner, and everyone in between except for Big Ron who kept us away from the trapdoor in 97-98) and as a result, mounting debt from a failed push to keep up with the Premier League elite. The ITV Digital collapse didn't help either after relegation from the Premier League, and we didn't get the parachute payments most clubs get nowadays when they drop out of the top flight.

It was only when Paul Sturrock was appointed manager that we truly had a manager that tackled things head on and got us out of the league, Chris Turner had assembled a fairly decent squad in the '04-05 preseason but just couldn't get it to click, and Sturrock was able to and added in little bits that made all the difference (such as loaning Kenwyne Jones and Joey O'Brien). The '04-'05 squad might not have been the best we've had but for what happened in that season and the culmination of it, probably one of my most fondly remembered.

One game that sticks in my mind was sometime in the mid seventies stood on the open kop at Hillsborough.............siling down rain..............about 9,000 attendance.........and losing 0 - 3 to Port Vale!

I,m guessing Lanzarote , Daveyboy , Brian Joicey etc were there with me , but strangely , as bad as it was those godawful times under Turner seemed 10 times worse.

Maybe it was just youthful optimisim , but it always felt like the good times were just around the corner , whereas under Turner the wonder side of the 90,s was still fresh in the memory which made things unbearable.................. , and Christ that team sheet from Saltergate makes my eyes bleed!

Yeah...the one for me was the Blackpool game away at Easter...we were that bad that when one of our lot went to the loo and was walking back to that makeshift stand when the ball got kicked out in his direction...he chested the ball down and side footed it to one of our players...it was the first time that anyone had actually passed the ball on our side...THE only bight side to that day was that a young Chris brunt scored a brilliant free kick...oh and we started to bounce properly on that makeshift stand for the first time