The dark days - who else was at this one?

Guest trusty_left_peg

This was a dark day. Yorath's last match, a horrific performance and there were fans arguing with each other around me all over the shop. Even in late October of that 2002-2003 season I could tell we were going to be occupying one of the relegation places come May. Abysmal performance.

vt0gE4I.jpg

20p to get in, and the only game i've ever watched from up a tree

20p to get in, and the only game i've ever watched from up a tree

some reyt scrapping if i remember rightly , didn,t halifax fans charge at our stand ( sorry, shed ). We were definately on the back foot, scary

This was a dark day. Yorath's last match, a horrific performance and there were fans arguing with each other around me all over the shop. Even in late October of that 2002-2003 season I could tell we were going to be occupying one of the relegation places come May. Abysmal performance.

vt0gE4I.jpg

Steve Claridge though

2002/2003 was the season where we somehow managed to beat United at Hillsborough despite them absolutely battering us. 

They basically laid siege to our goal for 70 odd minutes and then up pops Owusu with a goal and Kuqi finished them off. 

That team was absolute sh*te, simply terrible. 

How depressing to think that things would actually get even crapper. 

Kop and stands used to empty regularly in the 70's (not that they were that full in the first place) and the cushions would go on the pitch. Getting regularly turned over at home with ease by the likes of Fulham, Orient, Millwall, Cardiff etc was not a happy experience.

Them were the days mate,you went with the thought that things were going to get better but they never did. At times you just went to see your mates and decide where you were going to drown your sorrows  that night and occasionally watch what was happening on the pitch. :biggrin:

Guest MotörOwl

The 9 man Yeovil game was the lowest point for me.

Just thought was the flip am I doing with my life sat here watching this poo poo.

The only match at Hillsborough where I left before the end, my Dad and I were heading up Herries Road when we heard the cheer for our second goal. We made it back to The Gate Inn, Troway, for just after 10pm. Five pints of Jennings Sneck Lifter numbed the pain...

2002/2003 was the season where we somehow managed to beat United at Hillsborough despite them absolutely battering us.

They basically laid siege to our goal for 70 odd minutes and then up pops Owusu with a goal and Kuqi finished them off.

That team was absolute sh*te, simply terrible.

How depressing to think that things would actually get even crapper.

I wouldn't say that's our worse team, Kuqi,Pressman, Quinn, Bromby, Geary and I think Whelan were a bit better than some of dross we've had over years.

Was at the Scunthorpe game. Left at 2-0 around the 80th, got back to the car put the radio on and it was 2-2 lol

Well the replay wasn't much better. It was that poor & that cold me and my dad looked at each other after the 1st period of ET and we got up and went. Listened to the obvious defeat on pens in the car in the way home.

I think we signed Mark Robins later that season and he scored twice as we beat them 4-0 in the LDV just showed what a difference a touch of class up front brought at that level.

Just remembered another classic from the 1977/78 season.

First game in January, away to Carlisle and we'd had two great home wins, over the mighty Rotherham and Hereford.....which had lifted us to the dizzy heights of 23rd place in Division 3. Great following of Wednesday fans at Carlisle.....under the cover along the touchline. And we went there unashamedly not to lose.

Still goaless in the very last minute when Ian Porterfield tried a suicidal backpass and their guy came in and scored. A 1-0 defeat and back to the bottom again. I'll never forget the chants of "Porterfield's a wan*er" from the Wednesday fans; he'd never been particularly popular with the fans to this point but I'd never heard them turn on a player so much. Though to be fair he'd been truly awful all match.

Coach broke down on the way back as well; can vaguely remember getting home way after midnight as they had so much trouble getting a replacement.

I think the lowest point for me was when we got hammered away at port vale and proudlock got sent off for nutting someone.

I stopped paying attention to our games for the rest of the season other than the final score because I knew we'd lose. It was scary how close we came to league 2 or division 3

I think the lowest point for me was when we got hammered away at port vale and proudlock got sent off for nutting someone.

I stopped paying attention to our games for the rest of the season other than the final score because I knew we'd lose. It was scary how close we came to league 2 or division 3

Or maybe division 4. lol

I remember Jeffers getting sent off at Vale in a cup game, another diabolical performance.

After all what we have seen ,And boy has there been some low points ,We are still here it,s our club for better or worse ,How many teams like Chelsea or Arsenal would still get the unbinded loyalty which we have for this Great club,Leeds fans talk about being the biggest club in Yorkshire ,Well to us Wednesdayites ,SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY ARE THE BIGGEST CLUB ON THE PLANET !

There's plenty more in that season that could rival the loss against Chesterfield

I remember Colchester away when we lost 3-1. Quite a bit of fighting with the Wednesday fans as we were that bad.

The Hillsborough return fixture was even worse. Lost 1-0 and I can't recall a shot on target

Chesterfield, Luton Town, Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Hartlepool and Brentford at home were dreadful games. Luton in particular as that game attempted to ruin England's world cup win at Australia.

I think the only positive of that season was Save the Children winning a fair bit of charity money from my bets. In particular, Bournemouth were 5/1 to beat us at Hillsborough that season - printing money that offer was.

Stockport 1-0 defeat was so bad I definitely recall no shots on target. Awful game and the only thing worth watching was the Wednesday fans at the corner.

Port Vale away - 3 nil loss and to make matters worse, the lads and I got beaten up by Stoke hooligans at the train station. Never ever going to Stoke or Port Vale again

Oldham away awful. 1-0 defeat from a Scott Vernon header. Think Proudlock volleyed over from 3 yards out - dreadful miss

Season to forget.

Edited by katie melua

I think the only positive of that season was Save the Children winning a fair bit of charity money from my bets. In particular, Bournemouth were 5/1 to beat us at Hillsborough that season - printing money that offer was.

That game is the worst i ever remember seeing at Hillsborough.  We weren't even a competitive team.  No one was bothered.

That game is the worst i ever remember seeing at Hillsborough.  We weren't even a competitive team.  No one was bothered.

Worst I've ever seen at Hillsborough?

Aston Villa....last home game of 1974/75 takes some beating. We'd been relegated to Division Three weeks before, Villa came needing a result to ensure promotion back to Division One. They came in their absolute thousands.....totally took the place, there was hardly a Wednesday fan there. And they absolutely strolled to a 4-0 win without even getting out of second gear. Totally embarrassed to be a Wednesday fan that night so much so that for the journey home I stuffed my scarf in my pocket. Honestly don't think I've ever felt more like jacking it in than I did that night.

Three days later I went to Hull to see us lose yet again....

Edited by fredmciverslovechild

Don't forget the Colchester away at Layer road when we got thumped 3-1? Away fans basically locked in 2 cages that day.

Did home and away 2003/2004, no idea what made me do it - everything started so brightly as well with wins against Swindon, Brentford and Peterborough.

Swindon away was a scorcher, first away game of the season and easily +20 degrees. Sammy igoe the stand out player for thrm

There's plenty more in that season that could rival the loss against Chesterfield

I remember Colchester away when we lost 3-1. Quite a bit of fighting with the Wednesday fans as we were that bad.

The Hillsborough return fixture was even worse. Lost 1-0 and I can't recall a shot on target

Chesterfield, Luton Town, Grimsby, Scunthorpe, Hartlepool and Brentford at home were dreadful games. Luton in particular as that game attempted to ruin England's world cup win at Australia.

Stockport 1-0 defeat was so bad I definitely recall no shots on target. Awful game and the only thing worth watching was the Wednesday fans at the corner.

Port Vale away - 3 nil loss and to make matters worse, the lads and I got beaten up by Stoke hooligans at the train station. Never ever going to Stoke or Port Vale again

Oldham away awful. 1-0 defeat from a Scott Vernon header. Think Proudlock volleyed over from 3 yards out - dreadful miss

Season to forget.

Luton home 0-0 and as you say England had won the Rugby World Cup earlier that morning . Must have had 12 pints by kick off.

Amazed i didn't fall asleep during the game . It was truly awful.