The dark days - who else was at this one?

Scunthorpe away in the FA Cup when we somehow managed to come back from 2-0 down with only a few minutes left.

That was an awful awful performance.

Yeovil at home and another 2-2 draw, this time against 9-men was bad as was the night Craig Mackail-Smith and Peterborough stuffed us 4-1.

Scunthorpe away in the FA Cup when we somehow managed to come back from 2-0 down with only a few minutes left.

That was an awful awful performance.

Yeovil at home and another 2-2 draw, this time against 9-men was bad as was the night Craig Mackail-Smith and Peterborough stuffed us 4-1.

Was at the Scunthorpe game. Left at 2-0 around the 80th, got back to the car put the radio on and it was 2-2 lol

Even when we were good we were occasionally bad - 5 nil down at Ht at home to Everton in a 3rd replay. But that doesn't seem as bad as a 1-0 defeat on a cold Tuesday evening with 30 away fans singing you're not famous anymore

But that 2- 2 Yeovil game when they were down to 9 men i don't think i have been more angry in the stadium

Mid seventies were the worst of the lot. We lost 3-1 to Chesterfield at home at the bottom of the third in 75/76!

Wed 24 Mar 1976 CHESTERFIELD............ 1-3 23 10,653 Mick Prendergast

Depressing night that, really thought we were heading towards division 4 at final whistle, 23rd in league.  :sad:

Following Saturday we played Colchester at home in front of one of our lowest attendances of all time, 6,000+, that game was awful too but somehow we scrapped a 1-0 win

Been through all the dark days since the mid 60's....

Shocking players, shocking teams, shocking results...

I still think though, the worst time was waiting for news from London when we were up for admin...

There were folk on here posting updates, I think we were due up after some plastics company or summat,.

It seemed inconceivable that Wednesday had sunk so low, and we all awaited the  humiliation.

Luckily we dodged a bullet, and seem to be dodging them still...

I'll take the nerve frayin' rubbish of Southend at home and dodging the lower tier than go through that sheeite again.

Funnily enough though, If we had suffered that initial humiliation, we could be where such as Palace and Southampton are now...

f.ookin' freezin' cold on the moral high ground ain't it?

It was even worse than that Andy. The hearing wasn't for Administration (that is something the club does itself voluntarily), it was for Winding Up (action brought by the Revenue). If that had gone badly we would have been liquidated just like Hereford United and had to start agsain all the way from the bottom of the pyramid. It was an incredibly risky strategy pursued by the club and we just got lucky.

Went to the 4-4 vs man u,remember a load of blokes scrapping on the old ramp up to the kop,Ended up on the south stand..what a day that was.

Also remember a game in the 70s where we had gone ages without scoring,when we did score there manager said the roar was like we had won the fa cup,cannot remember who we played tho and the managers name.

I was at the lowest league attendance game too. dire days.

Sat 19 Apr 1975 OXFORD UNITED........... 1-1  22  7,444 Brian Joicey

Was at this game, we'd been relegated a good few weeks before, Joicey scored in last few minutes, fans went mental. 

P W D L F  A  W D L  F   A   Pts  

17. Portsmouth 42 9 7 5 28 20 3 6 12 16 34 37

18. Oldham Athletic 42 10 7 4 28 16 0 8 13 12 32 35

19. Bristol Rovers 42 10 4 7 25 23 2 7 12 17 41 35

20. Millwall 42 8 9 4 31 19 2 3 16 13 37 32

21. Cardiff City 42 7 8 6 24 21 2 6 13 12 41 32

22. Sheffield Wednesday 42 3 7 11 17 29 2 4 15 12 35 21

Edited by bradowl

Wed 24 Mar 1976 CHESTERFIELD............ 1-3 23 10,653 Mick Prendergast

Depressing night that, really thought we were heading towards division 4 at final whistle, 23rd in league.  :sad:

Following Saturday we played Colchester at home in front of one of our lowest attendances of all time, 6,000+, that game was awful too but somehow we scrapped a 1-0 win

The Chesterfield game had been preceded by a 3-1 defeat at home to Cardiff as well.

Was at all three games. The Colchester one we scored with an OG 5 minutes from the end and again you would have thought we had won the Cup!

Went on to win all the remaining home games (Halifax, Bury, Palace & Southend) and that was what kept us up.

It was even worse than that Andy. The hearing wasn't for Administration (that is something the club does itself voluntarily), it was for Winding Up (action brought by the Revenue). If that had gone badly we would have been liquidated just like Hereford United and had to start agsain all the way from the bottom of the pyramid. It was an incredibly risky strategy pursued by the club and we just got lucky.

It was scary but the reality was if there had been any major risk of that arising the Co-op would have jumped in to protect its position

The Huddersfield game from 2010/2011 sticks in the memory. 

One of the most inept, pathetic displays you'll ever see from a Wednesday side. 

Potter's legendary hat-trick of corners was the main highlight. 

You also had Sedgewick's attempted 40 yard volley...which ended up in the South Stand. 

That volley was so good (BAD!) that a bloke in front me actually burst out laughing. 

You know you're the streaming sh*ts when the fans aren't booing you, but actually laughing at you. 

Edited by SiJ

worst for me was a 0-0 draw on a freezing  night at halifax 1975-76 ......i seen some crap over the years but nothing caps this game ......another standout is a 3-0 at man utd under wilson no shame in losing to them but we just laid down and surrendered that day.

The Huddersfield game from 2010/2011 sticks in the memory. 

One of the most inept, pathetic displays you'll ever see from a Wednesday side. 

Potter's legendary hat-trick of corners was the main highlight. 

You also had Sedgewick's attempted 40 yard volley...which ended up in the South Stand. 

That volley was so good (BAD!) that a bloke in front me actually burst out laughing. 

You know you're the streaming sh*ts when the fans aren't booing you, but actually laughing at you. 

A mate of mine, a season ticket holder, walked out at half-time of that one and didn't watch another game under Irvine.

Even when we were good we were occasionally bad - 5 nil down at Ht at home to Everton in a 3rd replay. But that doesn't seem as bad as a 1-0 defeat on a cold Tuesday evening with 30 away fans singing you're not famous anymore

But that 2- 2 Yeovil game when they were down to 9 men i don't think i have been more angry in the stadium

Surprised it took this long to mention...

My dislike & negativity towards evening home games stems from that season I feel. It's had a genuine psychological impact on me.

Potters 3 corners, being dicked 4 or 5-1 to P'Boro, and then this Yeovil game! It's not like they went down to 10 men, and then 9 men, late on either. They went down to 10 with about half hour left, and 9 about ten minutes later. Christ, the guy who was subbed on to cover for the guy first sent off...was sent off within 5 or so minutes!! We were only 2 down at this stage & the equaliser still didn't come till 5 minutes from time!

Think we ended up with 5 strikers on the pitch if you include JJ! Had Reda up from the back. In fact, I think we ended up with everyone bar Weaver in Yeovils half, outnumbered them by 2 and still couldn't find a winner.

What angered me more was that Yeovil probably should have lost their keeper to a red card as well but the ref bottled it. Was booked for time wasting at the penalty and should have been booked again for time wasting later on....on several occasions. Still wouldn't have made a difference mind. Could have played that match for another 45 minutes & we wouldn't have found a winner!

A mate of mine, a season ticket holder, walked out at half-time of that one and didn't watch another game under Irvine.

We walked out on the 70th minute I think. Was freezing, the wind was blowing the rain into The Kop....we'd had enough.

Only game we've ever walked out on early.

It was scary but the reality was if there had been any major risk of that arising the Co-op would have jumped in to protect its position

The reality was that if the judge had been against us and had had enough of football clubs playing silly buggers with the revenue we were stuffed.

The 2003/2004 season has to be the worst one I can remember as a Wednesdayite.

Alan Irvine did a mighty fine job of coming close to repeating the crapness in 2010/2011, but that season was just about spared with Milan taking over and the sense that, despite all the sh*te, we might be able to turn it around.

2003/2004 had none of that.

Started off by losing to Wrexham at home 3-2 and then throwing away a 2 goal lead to draw with Stockport a few weeks later. After this game I had to wait at the bus stop whilst Fishcake shouted at me about how Andorra reserves would have won 17-0.

From what I recall the only player we had of any notable quality was Alan Quinn and the geniuses at the club decided to loan him out to Sunderland's reserve side for quarter of the season.

Suppose Kuqi was ok as well, though I always thought he ran around like a clueless gimp.

Most of the games after that just blur into a sea of w@nk, with the only highlight having been ending Bristol City's winning streak under Danny d*ckhead Wilson.

There was getting d*cked on by Bournemouth, annihilated by Plymouth, getting beaten four times by Blackpool and then the worst game of football I've ever seen in my life:

Sheffield Wednesday 0

Rushden and Diamonds 0

Words can't event describe how depressingly sh*te this game was.

Sheff Wed: Lucas, Lee, Dean Smith, Bromby, Geary, McLaren, Mustoe, Barry-Murphy, Cooke, Proudlock, Holt. Subs: Pressman, Haslam, Jon Shaw, Wood, Reddy.

Rushden & D'monds: Turley, Bignot, Edwards, Hunter, Underwood, Mills, Bell, Gray, Burgess, Kitson, Jack. Subs: Dempster, Sambrook, Talbot, Story, Hall.

Referee: M Thorpe (Suffolk)

That rushden game sticks out for me as one of, if not the lowest point, on the pitch. A uni mate was from rushden so I got a few tickets for this game. A week before, he decided he couldn't go so I roped a couple of mates in to travelling up from Leicester to the game.

Neither were particularly fussed about football let alone Wednesday. I'd done a decent job in enthusing them in the lead up to the match, but I couldn't have taken them to a worse game. It was the dullest 90 minutes of football EVER! Both teams punting it down the line trying to find touch. It was barely distinguishable from rugby.

Suffice to say they've never been to another game since.

The 2003/2004 season has to be the worst one I can remember as a Wednesdayite. 

Alan Irvine did a mighty fine job of coming close to repeating the crapness in 2010/2011, but that season was just about spared with Milan taking over and the sense that, despite all the sh*te, we might be able to turn it around. 

2003/2004 had none of that. 

Started off by losing to Wrexham at home 3-2 and then throwing away a 2 goal lead to draw with Stockport a few weeks later. After this game I had to wait at the bus stop whilst Fishcake shouted at me about how Andorra reserves would have won 17-0. 

From what I recall the only player we had of any notable quality was Alan Quinn and the geniuses at the club decided to loan him out to Sunderland's reserve side for quarter of the season. 

Suppose Kuqi was ok as well, though I always thought he ran around like a clueless gimp. 

Most of the games after that just blur into a sea of w@nk, with the only highlight having been ending Bristol City's winning streak under Danny d*ckhead Wilson. 

There was getting d*cked on by Bournemouth, annihilated by Plymouth, getting beaten four times by Blackpool and then the worst game of football I've ever seen in my life: 

Sheffield Wednesday 0 

Rushden and Diamonds 0 

Words can't event describe how depressingly sh*te this game was. 

Sheff Wed: Lucas, Lee, Dean Smith, Bromby, Geary, McLaren, Mustoe, Barry-Murphy, Cooke, Proudlock, Holt. Subs: Pressman, Haslam, Jon Shaw, Wood, Reddy.

Rushden & D'monds: Turley, Bignot, Edwards, Hunter, Underwood, Mills, Bell, Gray, Burgess, Kitson, Jack. Subs: Dempster, Sambrook, Talbot, Story, Hall.

Referee: M Thorpe (Suffolk)

You obviously didn't go to the 0-0 draw at home to Grimsby that season, Sij......having said, I didn't go to the Rushdens game so you could be right.......doubt it though.

Hopefully those days are behind us.