The dark days - who else was at this one?

Don't forget the Colchester away at Layer road when we got thumped 3-1? Away fans basically locked in 2 cages that day.

Did home and away 2003/2004, no idea what made me do it - everything started so brightly as well with wins against Swindon, Brentford and Peterborough.

Swindon away was a scorcher, first away game of the season and easily +20 degrees. Sammy igoe the stand out player for thrm

I was at the Peterborough game and remember watching us beat Wycombe on sky. We had an ok team with kuqi and owusu finding real form along with Quinn. We then got rid of all of them for free (kuqi then moved for 2.5m a year later) and I think it was that early run that prevented the relegation by the end of the season

Another absolute low.

0-0 away at Kilmarnock pre season 2001.  Went to Scotland 'on tour' - think we drew 0-0 twice and got beat by Dunfermline 3-1.  The latter was saved though by one of the all time goals by Sibon who, because he couldn't be bothered to run, sand wedged one in from about 35 yards.

The Kilmarnock game - no words do justice to how bad that game was.  I spoke to Shreeves before the game and said to him - 'how strong do you think the team will be today',

His reply

'Well, they are all Sheffield Wednesday players....' and gave me the knowing look and nod of someone who was fully aware of just what a wretched bunch he was working with.

Here are the 11 heroes that started (not in formation order)

Stringer

Soltvet

McLaren

Muller

Bromby

Cawley

Donnelly

Morrison

Haslam

Geary

Hendon

Subs - Sibon, Lescott.

Worst I've ever seen at Hillsborough?

Aston Villa....last home game of 1974/75 takes some beating. We'd been relegated to Division Three weeks before, Villa came needing a result to ensure promotion back to Division One. They came in their absolute thousands.....totally took the place, there was hardly a Wednesday fan there. And they absolutely strolled to a 4-0 win without even getting out of second gear. Totally embarrassed to be a Wednesday fan that night so much so that for the journey home I stuffed my scarf in my pocket. Honestly don't think I've ever felt more like jacking it in than I did that night.

Three days later I went to Hull to see us lose yet again....

This tells us how many Villa brought that night....

33. Sat 15 Mar LEYTON ORIENT........... 0-1 22  8,492

34. Sat 22 Mar Cardiff City............ 0-0 22  6,637

35. Sat 29 Mar MILLWALL................ 0-1 22  8,171

36. Mon 31 Mar SOUTHAMPTON............. 0-1 22  8,505

37. Tue 1 Apr Nottingham Forest....... 0-1 22  14,077

38. Tue 8 Apr NORWICH CITY............ 0-1 22  7,483

39. Sat 12 Apr Bristol City............ 0-1 22  11,976

40. Sat 19 Apr OXFORD UNITED........... 1-1 22  7,444 Brian Joicey

41. Wed 23 Apr ASTON VILLA............. 0-4 22  23,605

42. Sat 26 Apr Hull City............... 0-1 22  7,652 

Other fans called us Sheffield Wednesday Nil.  :mad:

Edited by bradowl

After all what we have seen ,And boy has there been some low points ,We are still here it,s our club for better or worse ,How many teams like Chelsea or Arsenal would still get the unbinded loyalty which we have for this Great club,Leeds fans talk about being the biggest club in Yorkshire ,Well to us Wednesdayites ,SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY ARE THE BIGGEST CLUB ON THE PLANET !

I honestly think that hardly ANY other team would average 20,000 ((which we have done) over 15 years given our circumstances.  Only the two Manchester clubs would be guaranteed in my opinion. A run of 24 years without a trophy and 15 years nowhere near Pl status would eliminate many, many, many Arsenal and Chelsea "fans".  Playing on level terms with Rushden and Diamonds, Exeter and Torquay would account for many more and having to cheer Ola Tidman and Guy Branston would clear the stands.

nn_d.jpg

Pissed it down all day and we were on the open end at Saltergate.

Got battered for 90 minutes with Barry-Murphy and Adam Chambers getting their buttholes torn apart in midfield.

Beswetherick strutting about at left wing-back.

Tidman flapping away in goal.

Dean Smith towing caravans in defence.

Jon Shaw and Ndumbu up front shaking it about.

Chris Brunt sat on the bench - Chris Turner saw fit to make no subs though.

Division 4 loomed large that day, and the club had £30m of debt and Dave Allen steering the ship.

When I look at that team, it's amazing we didn't do a Luton or go the way Blackpool are currently heading, and end up if not in the basement Football League, or even worse, the Conference. It must simply have been because we had a half decent coaching network and managers (come and go) - because that squad was certainly not up to it in the slightest. It's depressing, just reading through those names and remembering them strolling about.  At least Geary and Bromby tried, I suppose.  

This tells us how many Villa brought that night....

33. Sat 15 Mar LEYTON ORIENT........... 0-1 22 8,492

34. Sat 22 Mar Cardiff City............ 0-0 22 6,637

35. Sat 29 Mar MILLWALL................ 0-1 22 8,171

36. Mon 31 Mar SOUTHAMPTON............. 0-1 22 8,505

37. Tue 1 Apr Nottingham Forest....... 0-1 22 14,077

38. Tue 8 Apr NORWICH CITY............ 0-1 22 7,483

39. Sat 12 Apr Bristol City............ 0-1 22 11,976

40. Sat 19 Apr OXFORD UNITED........... 1-1 22 7,444 Brian Joicey

41. Wed 23 Apr ASTON VILLA............. 0-4 22 23,605

42. Sat 26 Apr Hull City............... 0-1 22 7,652

Other fans called us Sheffield Wednesday Nil. :mad:

I think i might have gone to the Oxford Utd game as a nipper. My first few games in that era included a 1-0 win v Bolton the season before to avoid relegation, the above game and then the match v Southend the season after where we won to stay up on the last match again.

A honourable mention to a 6- 1 defeat at Leicester when Alan Smith off Sky tore us a new one

Oh and the 7- 1 at Arsenal but that was more on the WTF happened there rather than us being awful

Is this what happens when we have nothing to moan about? Do we remember the good old days and relive it?

Masochists gary megson

I find it useful as i completely blanked out several seasons

The most telling contribution I remember from Paul Smith came against Blackpool.

Last minute of a league game deadlocked at 0-0 we have the chance to grab a rare win with a free kick 25 yards out at the Kop end. Smith steps up, 'hits' a tame shot barely halfway up the Blackpool wall, they break away and grab a 1-0 win.

Most of the games like Rushden & Diamonds & Grimsby at home were that were they were instantly forgettable. I have next to no memory of many of the games I attended that season, sadly most of the memories of it I do have are bad ones.

Hadn't he just come on as sub, so his first touch was the free kick that led to their winning goal?