The dark days - who else was at this one?

I went to Gillingham when we got stuffed in the cup.

Spat on by a load of Kent oiks on the way back to the station. Miserable day

Would you beleive I was the mascot in that game! 

I had a choice of Gillingham or Newcastle away. Living in Reading meant Newcastle was a no go, think that was the dreaded 8-0 or something?

But I loved the day, the Gillingham mascots had to have a kick about with there horse mascot thing. They just told me go have a kick about with Kevin Pressman and Andy Hinchcliffe

Owls 1-3 Derby 2002

Ian Hendon...what a player...

I remember the atmosphere was vicious, so much negativity, players were scared, fans angry, was a horrible game, think we had one of our scouts as caretaker manager because nobody wanted the job, until Turner came along.

Morris gives Wednesday a headache

With some justification, Derby's manager John Gregory has described his troubled club as "on its knees," yet the predicament appears mild in comparison with that of Sheffield Wednesday.

Both are burdened with eight-figure debts as they struggle with the legacy of falling from the Premiership gravy train. Yet Wednesday, who this week will install their seventh manager since 1995, are more deserving of pity.

"It's embarrassing to show your face in public," said the goalkeeper Kevin Pressman, not for the first time the only reason why his side were not buried under an avalanche of goals. "It's no fun, you feel ashamed to face people. It's nice playing well personally but I'd swap anything in the world for being in mid-table."

George Burley, who has held talks with the Wednesday board, remains favourite to succeed Terry Yorath before Saturday's trip to Norwich. He would be charged with halting a run of seven defeats in eight games which sees the club next to bottom and facing Second Division football for the first time since 1980.

Yet there is no guarantee that Wednesday can attract someone of the Scot's calibre. The potential remains huge but the job of releasing it has become almost impossible. Less than 10 years ago the Yorkshire club could choose from an array of potential suitors, but now find themselves holding out the begging bowl.

The chairman Geoff Hulley said: "We're taking the utmost care to get the right man, we need someone with experience and we'll make a decision this week."

Lee Morris scored a brace, then the Derby forward found himself in one, to protect a neck injury after a collision with the hoardings behind Pressman's goal when scoring his second goal. The former Sheffield United player had to be reminded by medical staff of his two-goal contribution after sustaining concussion and facial cuts and bruises.

The 22-year-old came round in the medical room and said: "I didn't mean to celebrate like that. I just got my foot caught and stumbled forward. I was a bit fuzzy for the next 10 minutes and didn't know I'd scored until the doctor told me."

The impressive young Izale McLeod capitalised on Ian Hendon's woeful back pass to seal successive Derby victories for the first time this season. The substitute Matthew Hamshaw claimed scant consolation with a 20-yard free-kick.

Man of the match: Izale McLeod (Derby County)

Edited by Box_Man

Another game that still lives in my memory from that season:

1ZfdSmr.jpg

Plymouth absolutely dismantled us in every single regard during that game.  It was like a school team playing against Barcelona.  Can't believe we managed to get a goal.

Yep hammered that night plus Plymouth brought a great following.

Funny thing in we had a goal chalked off vs Rushden, wrongly so as well. Think Dean Smith scored but it got disallowed for climbing or something.

I remember losing to Blackpool in the LDV Vans Trophy area final second leg...and being inconsolable. I had dreams of actually getting to the final of a competition & we didn't even put up a fight. I mean, I was only 8 I think...so I really was in bits.

Didn't Tidman get injured after conceding a goal and young Poulter had to go in net? Think Reddy got us a consolation goal.

Think the only players I can look back & say I enjoyed watching were Quinn, Proudlock & Geary. Proudlock...back then...on his day...with the stars aligned...was quality for that league!

I was also in love with him. May have been my first Wednesday player crush.

Yep that Blackpool game was 1st & only time ive left after about 20minuts when we went 2-0 down off to gate roger that poo poo after a ok away leg as well.

Was a good season though only missed half a dozen games as just went for a laugh as at least we never expected any points from games. 

Can't believe no one has mentioned Stevenage 5 Wednesday 1

In terms of Rushen and Diamonds a couple of times a year I head out that direction for work. Quite a sad sight to see as no one plays at the ground anymore, bit I always get that cold shudder driving past thinking Wednesday actually played there in a League game. At least we won that one

I went to 2 mentioned, Grimsby and Chesterfield away

Hartlepool away sticks in my mind, Adam Boyd ripped us to bits

http://www.skysports.com/football/hartlepool-vs-sheff-wed/59672

A delightful Friday evening :laugh:

Oh yes what a night - Lost 3-0, Got drenched and got involved in a brawl with that was like ok coral in pub opposite train station which then continued on dual carriageway fun night.

Luckily we managed to get in away end with our tickets wed got in there end.

Tuesday, 13 April 1976. Shrewsbury Town (A) D 0-0. Attendance 2968.

Wednesday team: Peter Fox, Gary Hull, Bernard Shaw, Jimmy Mullen, Dave Cusack, Allan Thompson, Rodger Wylde, Fred McIver, Mick Prendergast, Ian Nimmo, Eric Potts. Unused sub Dave Herbert.

This was an absolutely desperate season. Our first ever in Division Three and we spent virtually the whole of it in the bottom four battling to avoid the trapdoor. There were some awful, awful performances.....being outplayed at home by the likes of Hereford United and Chessie. Who could forget the dreadful performance of Barry Watling in goal for his one game for us? And relying on the loan signing of Derek Bell from Halifax Town to try and get us a few goals?

I was living and working in London by this time and just decided, that morning, that I had to go up to Shrewsbury....it was a 7.30 kick off. I got the train to Wolverhampton and changed, got to Shrewsbury about 6.30. By this time it was absolutely peeing it down but fortunately I was under cover. I'd be surprised if there were more than 30 Wednesday fans there altogether.

The match was dreadful. We went for a point and amazingly got one but nonetheless we were still in 22nd place. Discovered I'd missed the last direct train back to London so had to spend half the night laid on a bench at Crewe Station. Got home about 6am and off to work.

There were probably worse Wednesday teams....losing at Wigan (then in the Northern Premier) in the Cup a couple of years later followed by losing at Tranmere a week later (when Tommy Tynan's cousin got a hat trick) leaving us about five points adrift at the foot of Division Three....I went to most games that season including those two. But in the late 70's, as someone else said, there was a fantastic camaraderie particularly at away games. Despite these awful defeats, despite the dreadful team we had we were convinced to a man that great days lay just around the corner. As they did!

But back in 1976 it seemed that nothing could stop us sliding into oblivion.

I was at that one.There were actually about 250 Wednesday fans there that night. Most stood on the side terrace under cover maybe 50 in the stand and about 25 die hards (me included) on the open end getting soaked in the rain. If I remember correctly we got a penalty very near the end (about 85 minutes and right in front of us) which Potts? (not certain) smashed over the bar in similar fashion to Simmonsen. Needless to say he took some real abuse from all of us for that.

Reading away.....that Jeff Johnson goal. We were all crammed in the shed along the touchline and went absolutely mental.....after all it was our first away win for nearly two years!

What wonderful times they were(n't)......

Missed the Reading one, but we nearly cracked the case the previous season in the final away game at Brighton. We took something like 1,500 down there scored early through Potts and ended up conceding an injury time equaliser. Coaches didn't leave until midnight so we got a few hours on the seafront.

Ultimately that point set us up nicely for the next match which was the relegation decider against Southend at Hillsborough.

TBALL LEAGUE DIV 1 Tu 18Mar 2003        
goals.png1

RESULT

Bradford 1-1 Sheff Wed

HT 1 - 0 FT 1 - 1 

Andy Gray (pen 32)Jamie Lawrence (s/o 80)

Tony Crane (82)

234.png2330.png
A Davison (G) N/A   D Wetherall (D) N/A   M Bower (D) N/A   (52) L Emanuel (D) N/A   S Francis (D) N/A   G Uhlenbeek (D) N/A   P Atherton (D) N/A   (s/o 80) J Lawrence (M) N/A red-and-yellow.106.0.pngC Jorgensen (M) N/A yellow.106.0.pngA Gray (F) N/A   (69) A Ward (F) N/A yellow.106.0.png   G Walsh (G) N/A   T Penford (M) N/A   (52) M Standing (M) N/A yellow.106.0.png (69) D Forrest (F) N/A   B Muirhead (F) N/A  
POSSESSION %
No data available
SHOTS ON TARGET
No data available
SHOTS OFF TARGET
No data available
CORNERS
7/1
  N/A (G) P Evans (GK) yellow.106.0.png N/A (D) A Westwood   N/A (D) D Maddix   N/A (D) S Haslam (45) yellow.106.0.png N/A (D) D Smith   N/A (M) A Quinn   N/A (M) B Barry-Murphy   N/A (M) P McLaren   N/A (M) Tony Crane   N/A (F) M Reddy   N/A (F) L Bradbury     N/A (G) K Pressman   N/A (D) R Green   N/A (M) S Donnelly (45)   N/A (F) S Kuqi   N/A (F) L Owusu

Tony Crane as a centre forward. I don't need to say much more do I ?

Kuqi was that bad at that stage he couldn't hit the target in the warm up .

Owusu couldn't play for more than 30 seconds without throwing up.

And of course, you  have the chuckle brothers in defence.

I was at that one.There were actually about 250 Wednesday fans there that night. Most stood on the side terrace under cover maybe 50 in the stand and about 25 die hards (me included) on the open end getting soaked in the rain. If I remember correctly we got a penalty very near the end (about 85 minutes and right in front of us) which Potts? (not certain) smashed over the bar in similar fashion to Simmonsen. Needless to say he took some real abuse from all of us for that.

Don't remember the penalty at all! I'm sure the covered terrace was behind one of the goals, wasn't it? Gay Meadow was a right ramshackle affair with bits of cover all over the place so I could be mixing it up with somewhere else.

What I do remember is that I'd only moved down to London about a month earlier and was amazed to find a couple of blokes from my old employer's there....hadn't even realised they were Wednesday fans!

Missed the Reading one, but we nearly cracked the case the previous season in the final away game at Brighton. We took something like 1,500 down there scored early through Potts and ended up conceding an injury time equaliser. Coaches didn't leave until midnight so we got a few hours on the seafront.

Ultimately that point set us up nicely for the next match which was the relegation decider against Southend at Hillsborough.

I was at that one too....a bit like a home game for me then! Peter Ward get their goal....I think he scored about 30 that season and they had Peter Grummitt in goal. And wasn't Spider playing for them that day?

Been through all the dark days since the mid 60's....

Shocking players, shocking teams, shocking results...

I still think though, the worst time was waiting for news from London when we were up for admin...

There were folk on here posting updates, I think we were due up after some plastics company or summat,.

It seemed inconceivable that Wednesday had sunk so low, and we all awaited the  humiliation.

Luckily we dodged a bullet, and seem to be dodging them still...

I'll take the nerve frayin' rubbish of Southend at home and dodging the lower tier than go through that sheeite again.

Funnily enough though, If we had suffered that initial humiliation, we could be where such as Palace and Southampton are now...

f.ookin' freezin' cold on the moral high ground ain't it?

Can't believe no one has mentioned Stevenage 5 Wednesday 1

In terms of Rushen and Diamonds a couple of times a year I head out that direction for work. Quite a sad sight to see as no one plays at the ground anymore, bit I always get that cold shudder driving past thinking Wednesday actually played there in a League game. At least we won that one

Mate its not so much no one mentioning it, its the fact their are so many abject woeful performances to choose from that makes me cry.......

and I still stand by my younger selves view that Nsungu is going to be a world beater, just maybe not at football  :ph34r:

Guest shawie99

Went to the 4-4 vs man u,remember a load of blokes scrapping on the old ramp up to the kop,Ended up on the south stand..what a day that was.

Also remember a game in the 70s where we had gone ages without scoring,when we did score there manager said the roar was like we had won the fa cup,cannot remember who we played tho and the managers name.

I was at the lowest league attendance game too. dire days.

I was there. What a shiithole saltergate was, sat in the side stand with the wooden seats.

On the terrace behind the goal there was a toilet without a roof. It was just 3 and half walls with a drain in the corner.

Thing was, I'm that tall I could have a slash and still peek over the wall and watch the match. Anyone seeing me from the terrace would have thought I was a chad. Wot no goals.

There used to be a bog without a roof at Millmoor and I remember being there in winter and it snowing. Not nice getting snow on your wee wee pipe tail.