Stevie May

I have always been a very big supporter of Mays and I firmly believe that given time and a full pre season in England he will come good.

That said, if we're going to see players of the likes of Vossen, Wood and Kramer, then we are going to have to ship out a few of our strikers.

A loan move to Scotland however just doesn't make sense to me, we all know he can score for fun up there and I'd sooner see him loaned to another Championship club or top end League 1 side.

I'd also rather see Nuhiu, Bus and Lavery go before May does.

Harsh on Bus and Lavery - these two did ok last season with very little game time. I think May has potential, but he was given a good run in the side and didn't bag as many as he perhaps could have done. A decent side behind him would help though.

Id keep all three and get shut of Dave, but May would be the next cap off the rank..just think the other two (if they can stay fit) can contribute more than May.

I agree.  

The key for me is the supply.  Get some decent quality wingers who can make something happen and put in a decent cross, and we will probably see our strikers thrive and score a lot more goals, even if they are tap ins. :biggrin:

You are right, a lot of the time our strikers had to pretty much create their own chances time and time again.  For once it would be nice for a winger to be pinging pin point balls into the box for our strikers to put away.  

Hopefully this will be rectified in the summer,   

Hopefully!

It's not just better delivery that we need, though - I'm hoping we're going to see a Wednesday team who look comfortable on the ball and try to pass it around in the opposition half in order to build attacks more thoughtfully than in recent years.

The whole team need to move further up the pitch than we saw last season, and the gap between the midfield and the strikers needs to shorten. That way May or whoever else should be able to latch onto short, crisp passes in and around the 18 yard box with options around him, rather than chasing a hopeful punt towards the corner flag with no sign of reinforcements the right side of the halfway line.

Hopefully!

It's not just better delivery that we need, though - I'm hoping we're going to see a Wednesday team who look comfortable on the ball and try to pass it around in the opposition half in order to build attacks more thoughtfully than in recent years.

The whole team need to move further up the pitch than we saw last season, and the gap between the midfield and the strikers needs to shorten. That way May or whoever else should be able to latch onto short, crisp passes in and around the 18 yard box with options around him, rather than chasing a hopeful punt towards the corner flag with no sign of reinforcements the right side of the halfway line.

i'm with you on that one.  Extra quality in all areas should naturally allow our players to push further up the pitch as we are better able to keep hold of the ball whilst in possession, which is pretty tough to do if the quality is not there, meaning our players have to work a lot harder for little reward.  Something we have unfortunately got used to over the years.  

I also think, if we could get a player like mcGugan in or someone of similar quality, one quality pass over the top should put one of our strikers through on goal one on one with their keeper.  One killer pass through the heart of defense is just as deadly imo.  

they are all on a par at the moment so we can't judge who will be better or who won't ,it is down to each of them to prove their worth then take stock if we get the supply players in then there is no arguments whoever rises to the occasion should stay 

i'm with you on that one.  Extra quality in all areas should naturally allow our players to push further up the pitch as we are better able to keep hold of the ball whilst in possession, which is pretty tough to do if the quality is not there, meaning our players have to work a lot harder for little reward.  Something we have unfortunately got used to over the years.  

I also think, if we could get a player like mcGugan in or someone of similar quality, one quality pass over the top should put one of our strikers through on goal one on one with their keeper.  One killer pass through the heart of defense is just as deadly imo.  

Right - which one of us is going to contact the club and let them know our plans, then?

:manager:

With Hirsty still involved at the club since he retired, I have always found it astonishing he has never had a formal role mentoring, coaching or training our forward line / attacking midfielders.

Its a travesty IMO that our most talented goal-scorer of recent times, a man who's positioning, anticipation, technique, strength, determination, pace and ability to hit a ball with such power in a split second on the run or on the turn and would cost £60M at todays prices is not showing our players how its done..

You can't teach what Hirsty had.

People are watching different Stevie May games tonme. Ridiculous over exaggerations going on here. He is a young lad, first season playing in a higher standard than he's used to, full Scotland international and got about 10 goals in his first season.

Why all the hate for him??

We should be getting behind the lad.

Absolutely spot on mate.

Comparing goals to games ratios over such a small sample is ignoring mathematical realities. The statistics are skewed by the tactics chosen but the managers of the club they play for and the clubs they play against, the number of times minor edges have gone for or against them (incorrect / correct offside decisions, shots coming off the woodwork and bouncing in or out of goal, through balls intercepted by a margin of millimetres, games played against defenders that will go onto premiership standard careers vs league 1 or lower, etc, etc, etc). My living depends on an understanding of short and long term probabilities and I find it staggering how people take a minuscule sample size and decide it is indicative of the universe. 

While Stevie May and Atdhe Nuhiu are both wearing a shirt with the SWFC logo on it, we should be giving them all the encouragement we can. I think, hope and pray both are going to be excellent strikers for Wednesday over the course of their careers, but I won't judge them on their records to date. I also hope the same for Caolan Lavery and Sergiu Bus. 

Comparing goals to games ratios over such a small sample is ignoring mathematical realities. The statistics are skewed by the tactics chosen but the managers of the club they play for and the clubs they play against, the number of times minor edges have gone for or against them (incorrect / correct offside decisions, shots coming off the woodwork and bouncing in or out of goal, through balls intercepted by a margin of millimetres, games played against defenders that will go onto premiership standard careers vs league 1 or lower, etc, etc, etc). My living depends on an understanding of short and long term probabilities and I find it staggering how people take a minuscule sample size and decide it is indicative of the universe. 

While Stevie May and Atdhe Nuhiu are both wearing a shirt with the SWFC logo on it, we should be giving them all the encouragement we can. I think, hope and pray both are going to be excellent strikers for Wednesday over the course of their careers, but I won't judge them on their records to date. I also hope the same for Caolan Lavery and Sergiu Bus. 

I've always allowed myself a smirk when people talk about those kinds of things like they are incontrovertible proof of anything one way or the other. As you say, there are all kinds of mitigating circumstances and fortunes can change at a moment's notice. Lawrie Madden made 261 appearances for us and scored just 5 times. But as I recall, 3 of those came in a spell of about 5 games. Does that mean he briefly developed (then lost) all the skills and instincts of David Hirst or was it just a statistical anomaly? 

The obsession with one or two players scoring plenty of goals in a team is a simplistic measure and guarantees nothing. For example, when we were relegated in 1990, our main strikers (Hirst and Atkinson) had 16 and 15 respectively. The big problem was that no one else scored more than 3 if I remember correctly. 

I think a lot will depend on whether Carlos see anything in him - I wouldn't be suprised if he goes out on loan as I am sure CC will want to bring a striker in, plus Bus and Lavery will likely be ahead of him in the pecking order. We shall see..

His lack of pace could also be an issue too and if CC wants to play attacking football, this will be key ..though his off the ball awareness may help.

It will also be interesting to see what CC makes of Dave - surely one of the most static players ever to don the famous blue and whites

lol

Edited by Owlsofrustration

@ DJM.....much of the stat quoting is tongue in cheek. It started in earnest last season with the OTT battering that Nuhiu received on here with some responding in his defence with stark stats that favoured the big man. It was a bit of a game really to dampen the one-eyed anti-Nuhiu lobbying originally. Unfortunately it contributed to the developing anti-May campaign as of course like many OT topics you have to be in one camp or the other :rolleyes: .

Edited by Dagmeister