Stevie May

People are watching different Stevie May games tonme. Ridiculous over exaggerations going on here. He is a young lad, first season playing in a higher standard than he's used to, full Scotland international and got about 10 goals in his first season.

Why all the hate for him??

We should be getting behind the lad.

That same management that never gave him a game, even against Gibraltar, and who subsequently omitted him from the following squad.

That same management yes, they picked him ahead of Rhodes and praised him at the time. They didn't pick him in front of the premiership strikers they have, but I haven't seen us linked to them only Rhodes.

People are watching different Stevie May games tonme. Ridiculous over exaggerations going on here. He is a young lad, first season playing in a higher standard than he's used to, full Scotland international and got about 10 goals in his first season.

Why all the hate for him??

We should be getting behind the lad.

Spot on, scored more goals in a defensive team than many of the more recognised too scorers in this league in their first term.

Gets ridiculous abuse for someone who has scored the amount of goals at his age. I know it's up north but so was Hooper, Larson etc.

Give him a chance with a full preseason and an attacking squad.

7 in 26 isn't great is it.

Nearly as poor as the 6 that David Hirst got in his first 26 games.

thats an awfully unfair comparison to make on both Hirst and May. Even though he was raw, you could see Hirst had power, pace and an amazing traction engine shot. May isn't fast or powerful and he never seems to strike the ball well.

thats an awfully unfair comparison to make on both Hirst and May. Even though he was raw, you could see Hirst had power, pace and an amazing traction engine shot. May isn't fast or powerful and he never seems to strike the ball well.

I thought there was a danger this might happen.

I'm not really comparing them as players , and it would be unfair to do so -  Hirst was a different class to most strikers we've had and,  will possibly ever have.

I'm really using similar ratios  to make a more general point about May being a young lad just about to enter his first full season with us and he's being written off. 

If Owlstalk had been around in the late 1980's there would have been some folks saying we should send him back to the dingle because he hadn't scored enough goals. 

I'm not saying May will ever be a top class player. But I do suspect that in a better side he'd have scored more goals , and with his age on his side and having had a bit of time to bed in there has to be some optimism that he will show more this term. 

To write him off already based on the games he's had so far is a bit severe and short sighted. Esepcially when we have outlayed a large investment in him. 

I thought there was a danger this might happen.

I'm not really comparing them as players , and it would be unfair to do so -  Hirst was a different class to most strikers we've had and,  will possibly ever have.

I'm really using similar ratios  to make a more general point about May being a young lad just about to enter his first full season with us and he's being written off. 

If Owlstalk had been around in the late 1980's there would have been some folks saying we should send him back to the dingle because he hadn't scored enough goals. 

I'm not saying May will ever be a top class player. But I do suspect that in a better side he'd have scored more goals , and with his age on his side and having had a bit of time to bed in there has to be some optimism that he will show more this term. 

To write him off already based on the games he's had so far is a bit severe and short sighted. Esepcially when we have outlayed a large investment in him. 

Yep, wouldn't it be nice to have a real hero again after all this time.

Redknapp.

Wednesday.

Yes...

If we moved the entire stadium and training ground to a stonesthrow of the southcoast and also promised him unlimited cash in return for nothing.

I think Gray would have found the right partner for May, after all, he did shell out, what for us, is big bucks. Now, I'm not so sure he fits in with what we seem to be dong. Hopefully, our forwards will be more akin to the type of forwards Watford had last year, and you couldn't see the likes of Stevie May fitting in there.

Edited by gurujuan

I think Gray would have found the right partner for May, after all, he did shell out, what for us, is big bucks. Now, I'm not so sure he fits in with what we seem to be dong. Hopefully, our forwards will be more akin to the type of forwards Watford had last year, and you couldn't see the likes of Stevie May fitting in there.

I know exactly what you mean. 

Listen, I'm not here to try and defend the lad and make out he's something he's not. And there were chances last season which I would have expected him to finish that he didn't and had my head in my hands. 

The snatched shot and trying too hard to leather it, often resulting in a soft miskick akin to a back-pass, I think is down to pressure (maybe pressure he put on himself I couldn't say) . But I think there was definitely a case of him trying too hard at times and not being relaxed.

The lads at Watford , i think anyone in the division would have liked in their side. There was a real pace and power about them, and I agree that May might not have fitted their mould and system. 

But I look at a side like Bournemouth with their slick style, and the cute service from the like of Arter and Richie and I think may would have at minimum got double the tally he got for us.

I see Pitman was well into double figures and I don't think he's a great player. Good. Not great.

But for the sake of argument,  I think if those players had done a direct swap I think that the goal tallies would have swapped.

I'm rambling now! 

But I just think that with a progressive attack minded coach, some midfield players with a bit of cunning , guile and vision to their play then we'd see a much greater goal haul from all our forwards.

I don't want to hark to the past all the time, but I was once talking to Big Ron Atkinson when he was at Villa. He was talking about his love of strikers (He's worked with enough in his time) and he said the key , as far as he was concerned was to make sure that they were always the most relaxed players on the pitch.

Relaxed players score goals and they don't brick it. 

Pressure does strange things and last season, (admittedly I only got to a handful of away games but all the home ones) and from where I was sat the paucity of our chances was so few and far between it was almost as if i could see the burden weight on their shoulders when one did come along. 

It might well be that Nuhiu , May , Lavery , Bus and whoever else will soon be on their way to make way for better quality players.

If so then great there will be no complaints from me. I am desperate for us to do well. 

But UNTIL we get in the better standard model i think it would be unwise of us to shift on a player who has cost the best part of a million pounds when we haven't really had the opportunity to let him develop and see what he might be actually capable before we have seen if he can fulfill whatever potential it is in him that Gray and Co saw. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

The issue with May is he doesn't seem to have any real stand out attributes. 

He's not quick, he's not particularly strong and as mentioned earlier his shooting is mediocre. 

Despite that...I'd like to see him stay for another season and see whether he's up to it.