Stevie May

With may, it boils down to are any of our four strikers likely to score 15/20 goals?

Nuhiu possibly, bus - god knows. Lavery? Nope, may? Doesn't suggest he's got it in him at this level.

Which suggests one needs to come in, and one probably needs to make way.

Won't be bus, nuhiu offers something different to the other 3, and I'd like to keep lavery. So by default, may is the odd one out.

He's got a couple of years left on his contract, don't see the harm in loaning him out this summer. Can recall him if he starts banging them in, he might get a bit of confidence back, and/or his value might rise.

Ramble away, you speak some sense, especially the Pitman/May comparison Not like for like players, but players of a similar quality with an eye for goal. Probably May would have scored a similar amount in that Bournemouth side, but I always felt they were looking to upgrade on Pitman, whatever his endeavours, whether or not they went up.

That's the way I feel about May, if we want to push on, we need better. Again, I agree, we didn't get the best out of Stevie May last season, and I do believe Gray would have had him performing better this season, by bringing the right players to make him effective.

That ship has sailed now, and I think we have a different vision, which I'm happy with, if the owner is prepared to spend what it takes to see it through. To assemble a Watford style forward line, from scratch, will take some serious spending.

Guest wilyfox

I do believe Gray would have had him performing better this season, by bringing the right players to make him effective.

Like GTF? Worked a treat :duntmatter:

Ideally, he'd be given more time, but look at it objectively... We desperately need more striking talent, that is obvious, so it stands to reason that at least 1 of the current guys may need to leave. Who would you choose?

Nuhiu: Loved & hated in equal measure, not a goalscorer but does offer something to the team with his hold-up play.

Bus: Only signed in January, wasn't fit and had an injury. For me, he's not the answer but you never know.

Lavery: Promising. Not the finished article but not afraid to run at defenders and can actually finish.

May: Yes, he's only had one year, but I think I've seen enough to judge that he's not good enough. He will run all day but he's not strong enough, can't win a header and wastes just as many chances at Nuhiu.

Therefore, for me, May should be the one to leave (if anyone has to). While ever he's in the stripes, I will support him and hope he comes good. He may leave and be a success elsewhere, you never know, but sometimes difficult decisions have to be made. I know he's the same age as Lavery by the way, but I would rather keep Lavery out of the two...

While I see the point about Hirsty's record, it's a bit too simplistic. For every David Hirst, there's another 100 or so useless strikers with a similar ratio. Sometimes players improve, sometimes they don't. Clubs have to make a decision. We can't just keep everyone just in case they come good. He might come good in 2/3 years, but if we're serious about promotion, we need someone who is good NOW!

While I see the point about Hirsty's record, it's a bit too simplistic. For every David Hirst, there's another 100 or so useless strikers with a similar ratio. Sometimes players improve, sometimes they don't. Clubs have to make a decision. We can't just keep everyone just in case they come good. He might come good in 2/3 years, but if we're serious about promotion, we need someone who is good NOW!

I'm not saying he'll be that good.

But year in and year out on here we bemoan letting (with hindsight)  Vardy, Kovacevic, Jerome, Holt and probably others whose names escape me go too soon.

He might or might not come good.

But at £800k I'd expect us to give him more than 10 months..

Or maybe I'm just a tight wad. ..

Either way, I think we need two new strikers to start the season. If May stays and is willing to fight for his place, good luck to the lad. If he is deemed surplus to requirements, I'll be keeping an eye on his career and maybe one day bemoaning the fact we let him go too early. Or maybe not...

The issue with May is he doesn't seem to have any real stand out attributes. 

He's not quick, he's not particularly strong and as mentioned earlier his shooting is mediocre. 

Despite that...I'd like to see him stay for another season and see whether he's up to it. 

Guess that means his mental attributes must all be very good, not really a glowing report lol.

Disagree about his shooting though, he's a decent finisher given a chance and isn't bad in the air for his size. Also a good link up player. Doesn't really show well on Gray though when he was his marquee signing...I know not a lot of money but enough to buy a good player.

Edited by swfc-dan

Guess that means his mental attributes must all be very good, not really a glowing report lol.

Disagree about his shooting though, he's a decent finisher given a chance and isn't bad in the air for his size. Also a good link up player. Doesn't really show well on Gray though when he was his marquee signing...I know not a lot of money but enough to buy a good player.

Take it you didn't go to the home game v Wolves in December?

the players had 10 months , and scored seven , atde has had double that and scored 10 on goals alone there's not much difference , give the kid a go maybe this season it may be different if we get the players in who provide and keep may around the box where he should be playing ,last season we mostly defended from the front maybe thats not Mays game but suited nuhiu who knows but better off giving him a go with a new set up than discarding him befor he has even had a chance ,

to kickstart his roll up front , 

the players had 10 months , and scored seven , atde has had double that and scored 10 on goals alone there's not much difference , give the kid a go maybe this season it may be different if we get the players in who provide and keep may around the box where he should be playing ,last season we mostly defended from the front maybe thats not Mays game but suited nuhiu who knows but better off giving him a go with a new set up than discarding him befor he has even had a chance ,

to kickstart his roll up front ,

Stevie may had 28 starts and scored 7 goals.

Nuhiu had 33 starts and scored 11 goals.

It's a bit too simplistic to assume that because Mays had less time here, he's had less chances.

i gotta be honest im happy with the strikers we have, we need one more to compete with Nuhiu

(cameron Jerome or Kenwyne jones type) but the 3 lads Bus May & Lavery have loadsa potential between them imo. yes 1 of the 3 might end up being a dud but 1 of the 3 may also go onto great things. its true that none are proven at this level yet and it would be a risk to go into the season hoping they come good. but the other side of the coin is binning them and they do a daryl Murphy or a Danny Ings, and become prolific all of a sudden.

Lavery or Bus have not had ANY TYPE of run up top yet, the odd game here an there, but often in lavs case as a loan striker. so we havent even seen these fail cos they aint had a chance yet!

yes you could say weve seen S May fail, but Lord snoots has made some excellent points on May earlier in the thread and i agree all the way - tbh though, weve seen May fail with No wingers and a non creative CM. 

lets say the ethos last season was the strikers muck out going back but no bu99er helps them out going forward, 

for me, if we play attacking football (MC philosophy?) and we have CREATIVE players and the team has a creative mindset, these 3 will be queing up to get in front of each other, 

or put another way, can people see Lavery, May & Bus all being major flops in a good team next season? ...no chance.