GRAY GONE - OFFICIAL

We won 5 games and scored 16 goals at home in an entire season, Gray did a good job of turning us into a mid table team but would never got us promoted in a million years.

I had my reservations but I don't think last seasons home form should be that much of an indication if there was a bigger budget. We were set up defensive and seemed to play better away but with more creative players and better strikers then home form needent be an issue. It became a "thing" for the squad last season they seemed anxious at home. Better players might not be.

Paulo is coming home.

Did well at Swindon, won the league and got them to the final of the JPT, they were also on course to win L1 until he fell out with the owner for selling Matt Ritchie behind his back. Did awful at Sunderland though but yet again who doesnt?

What a load of rounduns

Spent £800k on Stevie may and had to sell our best attacking player to do it.

Got us up near the play offs with a team of cast offs and average players, and improved the vast majority.

Instead of pushing on in January, we signed four unknown quantities, and mcgugan (eventually) on loan.

First year in donkeys that I didn't once worry about the relegation battle.

Exactly, if you look at the actual squad rather than simply a budget you would see that having us finish above the likes of forest, Wigan, Fulham and Leeds was not an average achievement.

Hell's horses!! I step away from the Internet for 12 hours and look what happens. Last time I leave you in charge Neil.

Thank you Stu for the great work you've done while here. I hope you find continued success in your next appointment whatever and wherever that is. The positive influence you've had here can only be a good thing on your CV. I'm not going to get up on a high horse but just want to say my memories of your time here will always be positive. Once again, thank you, and best wishes for the future.

All hinges on who is brought in to replace him.

The timing is a bit off and from a pr perspective we come off pretty poorly.

All the outside world will see is a thoroughly decent bloke (which he is), who did a decent job (which he did), getting the chop from another foreign owner.

I think most of the footballing world won't even blink, not having a clue who Gray is or if he's a nice man. People have been saying we're a laughing stock which is unfathomable really given the that most of the world simply won't give a flying roger about this decision.

Just wonder if Gray had become a stumbling block to signing the level of players we need at the club. Were some prospective signings reluctant to take the plunge without a big(gish) name in charge.

It would certainly answer why we have not signed anyone as yet and why it has taken so long to come to this decision.

Aye ok. That's what people are clearly afraid of.

You said earlier that Gray was average, we were mid table and an average side but in my view that was more than we could hope for with that squad. He did not do an average job here, there was and is a good foundation to kick on.

We will see who comes in, but if it's someone from left field then sacking Gray may not seem so clever.

If it's a proven manager then perhaps it will make more sense, but even then managers with track records are not guaranteed either. Who thought Gray would do better than Jones for example? He got stuck into the squad and earnt respect.

People aren't frightened that we might be good. They're worried it might blow up in our face

Well said.

Football's never as simple as just getting a "better"manager in, buying expensive players, and getting where you want to go. Often you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Not saying I'm really worried, as it could of course be a great move if we get the right man and bring in the right players, but it's just as likely to go badly wrong. Is it really the time to risk the stability, the foundation that's been built, the team spirit etc?

Time will tell, but it's major upheaval at a time when steady progress on top of a decent foundation seems the logical option.

Guest UpTheOwlsss

Suppose with gray we had a solid foundation to build but nothing spectacular

No we we can probably go one of 2 ways

Really good

Or really bad

I think most of the footballing world won't even blink, not having a clue who Gray is or if he's a nice man. People have been saying we're a laughing stock which is unfathomable really given the that most of the world simply won't give a flying roger about this decision.

Initially they'll be a few raised eyebrows and some criticism, but you are probably right that the mainstream won't really give a flying fig.

Ultimately any manager will only succeed with substantial backing from the new owners.

Who they are is almost a bit of a irrelevance if they are not given the correct tools.

Not as simple as that and you know it

I wasn't really arsed whether Gray was manager next season or not, a decent manager but not a brilliant one.

Just find the hysteria from some people ridiculous, it's like we've never sacked a manager before.

Players/managers come and go, that's modern day football.

Suppose with gray we had a solid foundation to build but nothing spectacular

No we we can probably go one of 2 ways

Really good

Or really bad

if solid foundation you mean Westwood and Lees, then yes. The team/squad is in the middle of an overhaul irrespective who who is manager - the chairman's decision is who's best place to oversee this and move forward. He determine it wasn't Gray - like a CEO looking at the commercial director thinking the guy i met yesterday is more dynamic and will hit the targets - it's business.

Well said.

Football's never as simple as just getting a "better"manager in, buying expensive players, and getting where you want to go. Often you don't know what you've got til it's gone.

Not saying I'm really worried, as it could of course be a great move if we get the right man and bring in the right players, but it's just as likely to go badly wrong. Is it really the time to risk the stability, the foundation that's been built, the team spirit etc?

Time will tell, but it's major upheaval at a time when steady progress on top of a decent foundation seems the logical option.

I'm just thinking of forest as a prime example of a club that have brought in certain names as manager and spent a load of money and in pre season football manager mode it has looked impossible for them to fail.

But they always do. If you have a manager that a team is busting a gut for I just can't understand why you would get rid. Not for footballing reasons anyway.

I'm just thinking of forest as a prime example of a club that have brought in certain names as manager and spent a load of money and in pre season football manager mode it has looked impossible for them to fail.

But they always do. If you have a manager that a team is busting a gut for I just can't understand why you would get rid. Not for footballing reasons anyway.

I think if you read the Chairman's statement he gives a clue as to the reasons.

He obviously, and probably justifiably, didn't think we would challenge for promotion with SG in charge.

My feelings are we should judge this decision once the season starts, the reaction on here when Megson was sacked was exactly the same and it worked out well.

It's time to trust the Chairman.