Sheffield Wednesday?....No!

Working in Bilbao this week and have just been talking with the guy hosting us about football. He is a football fan (Racing Santander) aged 32 and even though he worked for a year in Nottingham, has never heard of us. He knows about the disaster but wasn't aware of who the club was.

Have we lost a generation abroad with our years in the wilderness?

Here's where the problem is...I just can't get this to compute.

I recently came back from a trip to the US, one of our destinations was New York. I  got talking to one of the staff in a British bar, he asked if I'd been watching the football scores (soccer was his exact words), I said yes and he asked who we followed, I explained our family was split, were from Sheffield and myself and my son were, before I could inform him we followed Wednesday he said Sheffield Wednesday, I must admit I had a bit of a cheer in the wife's face, he had heard of United. But the funny thing is he started joining in with the banter against them, I said they were from a pub league to which he responded with more like Sunday league. Now he knew about our leagues due to his dad being from Norwich, but to have an actual 'football' conversation with an American was pretty strange. For those New Yorkers who know, the pub was the wee wee tail and bull, some where around 45th St.

Bloody know nowts who care not a jot for football history....Its all the immediate present with the superficial f.ookers....

I was in Tenerife once...with me Owls shirt on..started chattin' with a Norwegian bloke who supported Manchester United...

Norwegian bloke " I support Manchester United ..who's shirt is that"

Me.."Sheffield Wednesday"

Him "Sheffield Wednesday..I don't think I know them"

Me.."its the team that beat you last week"

Wife..."P*sses herself laughing..Norwegian bloke leaves

Met an Arsenal fan , ..he insisted a football pitch was 200 yds by 200 yds...I told him he was wrong..He insisted he should know..cos he was an Arsenal fan..luckily a Goerdie bloke told him he was f.ookin' daft..he left...

Continents full of know nowt f.ookwits...

Went to Malaysia the other year and 90% of the people I spoke to had heard of us.

Mind you, they were our young un's mates.   lol 

You must be massively insecure to worry about who knows us,

Couple of people here have surprised me by knowing about Wednesday, but most don't have a clue.

Especially anyone under 25.

The standard question they ask is where was I born. I say Sheffield and they ask so are you an Arsenal fan or a Liverpool fan?

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Course there will be many abroad who haven't heard of us, we are nothing . Some people are deluded we have been a second and third division club for years and have never won nowt.! Course there will be many like myself who know exactly who racing Santander are. But for the common man what has Sheffield Wednesday done to put themselves on the map?