Dave Jones

DJ definitely needs to start getting some credit.

He has had to put up with a lot of pressure and questions about his ability, job security etc etc ...

Imagine going into work everyday and most people doubting you, or questioning every decision you make ...

As mentioned in the manager of the month thread, getting that award for January would be the huge pat on the back he deserves and probably needs ...

Edited by Glaser

What a sad thread this has turned out to be. Us v them mentality again.

It's a joke.

The problem is and always will be 'how' the criticism is done. I've been totally behind jones - but cannot argue against people thinking his time was up at times - the two runs have been nothing short of embarrassing to be fair. One you can accept but 2?. So I can understand people's anger and frustration.

But even as a supporter of him, when I heard the team at Hull I even text a mate saying I felt offended he'd picked a side like he had as I thought it was ridiculous to play without a striker. I was wrong.

This whole for or against Jones thing has to end. We are where we are, we are in a far better position than we were. But what HAS to end is the manner of some of the criticism. I have no doubt we'll lose a few more before the end of the season. Just don't go overboard with comments.

Jones' signings have been nothing short of abysmal.

His attitude to the press and some of the squad has been surreal.

His post Leeds rant was embaressing.

The team playing now with 4 full backs and no recognised strikers is set up to counter attack, so will always struggle at home.

Everyone saying he's a proven championship manager, look at the job Malky mckay is doing at Cardiff. Think back to Wolves' choke when WBA went past them... There are many managers out there who can claim a similar record to him (2 promotions, numerous play off failiures)

Given all that has happened, he is lucky to still be here.

The team playing now with 4 full backs and no recognised strikers is set up to counter attack, so will always struggle at home.

Everyone saying he's a proven championship manager, look at the job Malky mckay is doing at Cardiff. Think back to Wolves' choke when WBA went past them... There are many managers out there who can claim a similar record to him (2 promotions, numerous play off failiures)

Anything to say about our recent upturn in form?

Guest Big Guns

I do like a I told you so thread but I think there will be more twist and turns yet

I'm just glad I'm versatile and can change my mind on Jones from one game to the next....

after the run of 7 defeats I wanted DJ out and I am not ashamed to say it, Just as I am not ashamed to say well done to the team as well as DJ for turning it around.

hopefully we will still be saying well done come May

This form we're in now long may it continue, as MM judgement exceedes all on here including ME.

His post Leeds rant was embarrassing?

How would you react if thousands of people taunted you by calling you a paedophile?

Why the personal crap? Bit small-minded.

I'm delighted with the results and today's result.

Always said I wanted the best for Wednesday and wanted to be proved wrong.

There's still a long way to go yet but I posted earlier today about my delight and that it was a good sign that we came from behind.

Just because some fans wanted the manager out doesn't mean you should attack them personally when things are going well.

Why don't you just celebrate the result not celebrate the personal glory of proving a point.

We still ain't safe yet but I'm glad we've got a much better chance and long may the results and recent performances continue. 

Because personal crap is what you've been giving DJ...If people wants to look at your last 30 odd posts I guantee that there is hardly one without you slagging DJ off regardless of the topic..care to take me up on that?

Wednesday do well it's thanks to Stuart Gray, Wednesday do bad it's down to Dave Jones, nice...

I think it's because too many posters find it hard to see a 'Collective' strength and prefer to only focus on individuals... If only they knew that Football was a 'Team' sport huh. :)

Maybe you can find it in yourself to focus on the positive of recent results for our club, recent form that's enabled us to look forward with a little more optimism and the club trying to take itself in the right direction of 'Stability & Consolidation' or are you just a permanent forever pessimist?!

Managers are only as good as the last five or six matches nowadays. It used to be that a manager needed at leat three seasons to be seriously judged, now if they haven't set the world alight after six months then the fans are demanding their removal. Patience seems to have disappeared from the game. We need to get to the point of not having to rely on bringing in loan players and having a settled squad. We still have a long way to go constructing a decent squad, it's not something that can be done overnight.

I think you're right and many clubs supporters no doubt feel the same, it all comes back to finances and the structure of those finances that now favour only the top clubs at any given time. The money flowing through the game has affected both Chairmen, Managers and undoubtedly Supporters... I feel this is why patience is non existent in enough of a % but I could be wrong, unlike BG I have been known to be wrong. :rolleyes:

I don't think we should be too critical on those which wanted Dave Jones sacked. Afterall, if you consider the results and performances and the length of time the club went without a win then given the state of modern football, fans were always going to be disappointed and shouts for the managers head were always going to be likely, as they would at any other club. What we should do however, is praise Dave Jones and his squad for turning around the form and taking the club towards safety. As month or so ago no way could I see this turn in form happening, but I guess we should just thank those at the club for making it happen and lets hope it continues.

Things look much brighter than they did two months ago.

Why do people keep pushing the "4 fullbacks" rubbish?

Firstly Helan is not just a full back - he is listed on his own clubs site as being either midfield or defence.

Secondly what is so wrong with interchangeable players?

Didn't hear many moans about the Worthington/King partnership - or even Rolly/Harkes

DJ has experimented and found a different formula - it is more effective as a counterpunching strategy but as with any system will have varying success depending on the opposition tactic - so there needs to be variety within it.

This seems to be the thinking with Lita - a mobile, hardworking forward forward who is comfrtable as a lone striker - or as part of a pair or even a 3 - he can lead the line and be the support striker as required - maybe playing of someone like Madine

Pugh is a more orthodox left midfielder but can play left back or even central midfield - so covers a few bases but on the face of it is a replacement for Helan to continue to be able to dovetail with Reda in a similar way.

The adaptability of the squad is laudable considering the budget we are working to - the way they have been playing (therefore obviously coached) means they can play a variety of formations comfortably - even within the same game.

Maybe DJ did get things wrong and make mistakes - like every person who ever lived has - its not a crime (despite the rumblewitted protestations of irreproachable football fans) - to fail to learn from mistakes is a crime though.

Looks like DJ has learned from his mistakes.

Isn't it far more beneficial to celebrate and commend what is happening right now - as opposed to continually criticising what went wrong in the past?

Firstly Helan is not just a full back - he is listed on his own clubs site as being either midfield or defence.

Didn't hear many moans about the Worthington/King partnership - or even Rolly/Harkes

DJ has experimented and found a different formula - it is more effective as a counterpunching strategy but as with any system will have varying success depending on the opposition tactic - so there needs to be variety within it.

This seems to be the thinking with Lita - a mobile, hardworking forward forward who is comfrtable as a lone striker - or as part of a pair or even a 3 - he can lead the line and be the support striker as required - maybe playing of someone like Madine

Pugh is a more orthodox left midfielder but can play left back or even central midfield - so covers a few bases but on the face of it is a replacement for Helan to continue to be able to dovetail with Reda in a similar way.

The adaptability of the squad is laudable considering the budget we are working to - the way they have been playing (therefore obviously coached) means they can play a variety of formations comfortably - even within the same game.

Maybe DJ did get things wrong and make mistakes - like every person who ever lived has - its not a crime (despite the rumblewitted protestations of irreproachable football fans) - to fail to learn from mistakes is a crime though.

Isn't it far more beneficial to celebrate and commend what is happening right now - as opposed to continually criticising what went wrong in the past?

having plussed your post, i feel the need to add...

the present recruitment of a small number of quality players (jury still out on pugh) is what a serious number of us expected in the closed season...

and not the droves brought in...

I don't think we should be too critical on those which wanted Dave Jones sacked. Afterall, if you consider the results and performances and the length of time the club went without a win then given the state of modern football, fans were always going to be disappointed and shouts for the managers head were always going to be likely, as they would at any other club. What we should do however, is praise Dave Jones and his squad for turning around the form and taking the club towards safety. As month or so ago no way could I see this turn in form happening, but I guess we should just thank those at the club for making it happen and lets hope it continues.

Things look much brighter than they did two months ago.

I have been wondering of late, the whole fire a manager after losing X number of games and we know that creates instability, after the initial "we must show desire and play well for the new gaffer" that often see's a new manager go on a winning run.

However, does anybody think that DJ was trying to pretty much on purpose weed out who is good enough and who isn't, even some of his own signings? I remember seeing some stats, that his sides often go on quite nice winning runs but also the opposite terrible one's too. Could this be something towards the end of last season, the bad run this season and the current nice run... after all he states he's a builder and I can just see there 'possibly' been a method in his madness.

You mean like a real football team that can handle anything? Not a bad target for any manager to aim for...even one as crap as DJ lol