Dave Jones

There's nothing wrong with criticism when things are going wrong

Absolutely

There was plenty wrong with the criticism Jones was getting from some though - and thats pretty much all most of us argued against - the vitriol, the history reinvention, the fabrication and the personal nature of some of the comments.

I was looking for something on here yesterday and so went back through dozens of pages of Owlstalk - i happened across one thread (unrelated to my search) in particular that was pretty disgusting regarding some of the contributions towards Jones - i toyed with the idea of bumping it for the benefit of those who seemingly never saw some of the worst excesses hurled at the manager and insist it was all only fair criticism. But i decided against it as i'm not one for going "i told you so" and as such dislike the bumping of threads.

What was uncanny was how many of those posters who were loudest and most vitriolic in their condemnation - don't seem to be posting currently

Edited by scram

Guest Deleted member

What was uncanny was how many of those posters who were loudest and most vitriolic in their condemnation - don't seem to be posting currently

A lot of the most vitriolic posters were new to the site - I questioned whether they were Blades on the wind up - and I full accept I may have been wrong about some of them but the sheer depth of the abuse did make me wonder

Jones deserved all the criticism he got.

No. He didn't.

most of the abuse of jones came from the pro megson group of which i'm one and it rankled that megson was sacked for losing 4 in 10 and yet jones can survive 2 losing streaks like he did .fair play to the bloke he's seems to be turning it round just as i'm sure megson would but he wasnt allowed the chance ........one thing that is for sure though is that all those praising jones at the moment will be calling for his head sometime in the future coz  he'll be sacked one day of that you can be certain .  

most of the abuse of jones came from the pro megson group of which i'm one and it rankled that megson was sacked for losing 4 in 10 and yet jones can survive 2 losing streaks like he did .fair play to the bloke he's seems to be turning it round just as i'm sure megson would but he wasnt allowed the chance ........one thing that is for sure though is that all those praising jones at the moment will be calling for his head sometime in the future coz he'll be sacked one day of that you can be certain .

Something for you to look forward to eh?

Guest Deleted member

one thing that is for sure though is that all those praising jones at the moment will be calling for his head sometime in the future coz .  

Whilst that may be the case - I don't for one minute think I will resort to the abuse of the new Manager that was prevalent on here from people sorry that Megson had gone.

Guest Distraught!

most of the abuse of jones came from the pro megson group of which i'm one and it rankled that megson was sacked for losing 4 in 10 and yet jones can survive 2 losing streaks like he did .fair play to the bloke he's seems to be turning it round just as i'm sure megson would but he wasnt allowed the chance ........one thing that is for sure though is that all those praising jones at the moment will be calling for his head sometime in the future coz  he'll be sacked one day of that you can be certain .  

And what about the period just after Megson took over from Irvine when we plummeted down the division?

However, that is not for argument. I am also of the opinion Megson was not dismissed for footballing reasons alone. I think there were also a number of personality issues in the mix.

This Megson excuse is a Kop out. Anyone who used Megson's dismissal as motivation to get at Jones must have some real issues.

I actually don't believe the Megson/Jones 'thing'. Not from people who support the Club.

I loved Megson and was upset when he went. But it doesn't make me want Jones to fail

Jones got many things wrong and some of us made points with reasoning that few people could argue with but Im afraid some of the abuse given by a few mindless idiots wasnt called for but its a reflection of todays society.

Some of the rubbish i hear from a minority of our fans in matchdays makes me cringe and wonder if im watching the same game.

Guest Deleted member

Jones got many things wrong and some of us made points with reasoning that few people could argue with but Im afraid some of the abuse given by a few mindless idiots wasnt called for but its a reflection of todays society.

Sums it up perfectly

A lot of the most vitriolic posters were new to the site - I questioned whether they were Blades on the wind up - and I full accept I may have been wrong about some of them but the sheer depth of the abuse did make me wonder

No. He didn't.

I have to disagree. Some of the abuse was wrong, people wanting him sacked was not. 

Losing 15 out of 19 games is utterly pathetic and at the end of the day he's the manager, the buck stops with him.

Guest Distraught!

people wanting him sacked was not. 

That's the debatable issue - are the people that argued for him to stay as manager therefore wrong?

Sacking managers is not always the answer to a problem. Had we sacked Jones after losing all of those games, we may well be in a far worse position than we are now. It is a tough one because nobody can answer that with certainty. We all have opinions. As you say, the thing that was never, ever justified was the level of moronic abuse given out by certain people who wanted him sacked.

The most boring thing was not the fact that he got abused or the fact that people wanted him sacked, it was the great number who wanted to convince everybody else that he should be sacked too and thought that if they shouted the loudest and longest, repeating the same things over and over again in every thread whilst twisting every aspect of the truth to their agenda then eventually it would happen. They didn't need to abuse anyone to do this but they were just as bad in my eyes. So so so boring.

This Megson excuse is a Kop out. Anyone who used Megson's dismissal as motivation to get at Jones must have some real issues.

I actually don't believe the Megson/Jones 'thing'. Not from people who support the Club.

I loved Megson and was upset when he went. But it doesn't make me want Jones to fail

Well said

Guest Deleted member

The most boring thing was not the fact that he got abused or the fact that people wanted him sacked, it was the great number who wanted to convince everybody else that he should be sacked too and thought that if they shouted the loudest and longest, repeating the same things over and over again in every thread whilst twisting every aspect of the truth to their agenda then eventually it would happen. They didn't need to abuse anyone to do this but they were just as bad in my eyes. So so so boring.

One of the main instigators of this is one of the most prolific posters on this site