Nothing of him that does fade,

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:

Ding-dong,

Hark! Now i hear them- Ding-dong, bell.

Just for you Big Guns. lol

Edited by full fathom five

After the Wycombe game there was as much positivity as I can remember in a long time, then we had quotes from the club about not being there to make up the numbers etc. The start of the season was as good as anyone expected and we were quite rightly thinking "could we do it?"

We went from 2nd to the bottom 3 and a losing spree of 6 and 7 games all in the first half of the season, I along with most fans questioned the manager. I am pleased as punch we seem to be turning it round and would be more than happy for Jones to be here for the long term as it would mean he was a success. I'm not in a cult of or a happy clapper or a hater. I'm a fan that will be happy and praise the team, club and manager when we win and are successful, but equally I will be pissed off and moan when we play crap and lose.

UTO

Moreover, it proves that he isn't the dogmatist that people on here were making out.

He gave a prolonged run to a striker who had previously top scored in this league- I can understand why he would do that.

Even in amongst our poor run we were pulling some lovely performances out of the bag. Leeds is an example but there were others.

We were playing a cultured passing style and who can blame him for trying to persist with it?

Now we have gone to a solid, good off the ball, workmanlike style with willing runners to relieve pressure.

That is an example of a manager who is not so self important as to stick to failing beliefs at all costs.

In time I believe we will once more try to implement a more cultured approach to our attacking play.

It's all good.

Trust in Jones. He is a quality manager.

The problem on here is that so many are polarised and just want to spend all their time trying to prove they were right all along.

Got no issue mate when there is an acceptance that it wasn't working and things are done to put it right.

I've never questioned DJ's qualifications, but between September and December he wasn't doing a very good job of being a good manager and that comment isn't just based on results.

That said and I shall say no more on it, he has changed the way things are being done.

That is excellent and all I ever wanted.

Well done Dave, now lets's all get on with guaranteeing safety and then consolidate/maybe compete next term.

The problem on here is that so many are polarised and just want to spend all their time trying to prove they were right all along.

Got no issue mate when there is an acceptance that it wasn't working and things are done to put it right.

I've never questioned DJ's qualifications, but between September and December he wasn't doing a very good job of being a good manager and that comment isn't just based on results.

That said and I shall say no more on it, he has changed the way things are being done.

That is excellent and all I ever wanted.

Well done Dave, now lets's all get on with guaranteeing safety and then consolidate/maybe compete next term.

Post of the thread IMO. 

tbh i can't believe that any poster on here didn't wonder what was happening through september to december ,with our results and managership ,

even the most staunch dj fan must have second checked their beliefs ,tbh we were on coarse for relegation if that period had carried over to the present  day ,

i myself think the inclusion of stuart gray was a big help in our transformation ,would/could dj have done it on his own ,who knows , but credit wher credits due we are where we are and playing better as a result long may it continue ,

It ain't divisive- the ones calling for DJs head after a few losses were the divisive ones. Hark at them all claiming they "admit they wanted DJ out after 7 losses in a row" now. What bullshit, the poisonous atmosphere and cult of Megson were going strong after the loss to Bolton in September, and after the loss to Forest (3rd in a row) in November.

Those of us who stuck by him can now rightly have a bit of a go at the spoilt children and hysterical fannies- this will show them that their attitudes are not wanted, and help prevent bad runs from escalating into vitriol, pessimism and fear, thus helping prevent a bad run turning into a terrible one.

WAWAW  

This from the person who came on and said we were all "fickle" after one or two wins?

What happens if we go on another 7 game losing streak? Should I come on and point at you and "have a bit of a go"?

In my mind, we've moved in the right direction, but anyone who thinks we're safe already is hugely misguided.

Guest Distraught!

tbh i can't believe that any poster on here didn't wonder what was happening through september to december ,with our results and managership ,

even the most staunch dj fan must have second checked their beliefs ,tbh we were on coarse for relegation if that period had carried over to the present  day ,

i myself think the inclusion of stuart gray was a big help in our transformation ,would/could dj have done it on his own ,who knows , but credit wher credits due we are where we are and playing better as a result long may it continue ,

Anybody with even a smidgen of common sense would have realized the problem and felt more than a little nervous about the situation. But sometimes the solution is not to simply sack the manager and get another. You have to look at deep seated problems that go beyond whoever the manager is and ask if anybody could do better given the constraints. Some posters would have sacked Jones regardless of the consequences and without a realistic or better replacement in place. Sometimes it is necessary to look at the bigger picture or analyze the long term effects.

There are a lot of sensible posters, myself included, lol who believed DJ had lost it and it was time to change manager.

Fair play to those who believed DJ would turn it around, most are just happy he has, others are creaming themselves and belittling others like me. Sums up Owlstalkers I suppose.

Just for the record I am delighted to be proved wrong but word of warning - the fat lady hasn't sung yet.

yes distraught and rightly so ,but some see it differently ,some couldn't see it changing from the dire football being played and even if a win was a possibility during that period the feelgood was dissapearing rapidly,some thought it was the right thing to do at the time but whatever the beliefs of any of us was it dosent matter one iota, now because the feelgood is returning ,we have managed to rise up the ladder a little and all well and good , but we are not safe yet ,the last games and points were and are appreciated , but the games are coming thick and fast this impetus has to keep going as the slightest slip in momentum could see us back where we were ,No one can predict the future or the bigger picture , we can hope ,and put procedures in to help the bigger picture ,but can't say they will work or the oposite ,i myself work on the step at a time theory ,and as of now we are a few steps better than we were during december , long may it continue

Guest Distraught!

Look at some other clubs who thought it prudent just to sack a manager and get another. QPR were in the same straits as we were albeit in the Premier League. They managed to attract a guy who is reputed to be one of the top managers in the country. They are still rooted to where they were. They have just been humiliated at home in the FA Cup to a team two leagues below them. What do they do now? Sack this manager and get another?

Likewise, the guy that many wanted to take over from Jones. McCarthy got the Ipswich job. A short term revival ensued. The Jones bashers went on the offensive saying we missed our big chance. Now with a bigger budget and better players (reputedly), Ipswich are currently below us and just as likely to be relegated.

Changing managers is easy, isn't it?

It's like a lottery and there is no way of predicting a suitable outcome. So there are times when it is better to stick with what you've got. Look at Wednesday's record of hiring and firing managers over the last twenty years. Where has it got us?

Edited by Distraught!

Guest silvergusy

yes distraught and rightly so ,but some see it differently ,some couldn't see it changing from the dire football being played and even if a win was a possibility during that period the feelgood was dissapearing rapidly,some thought it was the right thing to do at the time but whatever the beliefs of any of us was it dosent matter one iota, now because the feelgood is returning ,we have managed to rise up the ladder a little and all well and good , but we are not safe yet ,the last games and points were and are appreciated , but the games are coming thick and fast this impetus has to keep going as the slightest slip in momentum could see us back where we were ,No one can predict the future or the bigger picture , we can hope ,and put procedures in to help the bigger picture ,but can't say they will work or the oposite ,i myself work on the step at a time theory ,and as of now we are a few steps better than we were during december , long may it continue

This.

There's nothing wrong with admitting you lost faith in Jones during that awful run that took us from 2nd to bottom in a matter of weeks and there's nothing wrong with saying you stuck by him but the pro Jones brigade looking to castrate anyone that did doubt his abilitiy to turn it around really need to wind there necks back in and stop firing shots at poeple who admit that they did just that, loose a little faith.

We are not out of the woods, not by a long shot and the next 4 games are going to be very tough and I wouldn't be surprised if we were in exactly the same position in the league as we are now come end of February which means we would still be in a relegation dog fight.

Anyway it doesn't matter who said what, it matters what we do from now and until the end of the season.

UTO

Guest totemowl

This.

There's nothing wrong with admitting you lost faith in Jones during that awful run that took us from 2nd to bottom in a matter of weeks and there's nothing wrong with saying you stuck by him but the pro Jones brigade looking to castrate anyone that did doubt his abilitiy to turn it around really need to wind there necks back in and stop firing shots at poeple who admit that they did just that, loose a little faith.

We are not out of the woods, not by a long shot and the next 4 games are going to be very tough and I wouldn't be surprised if we were in exactly the same position in the league as we are now come end of February which means we would still be in a relegation dog fight.

Anyway it doesn't matter who said what, it matters what we do from now and until the end of the season.

UTO

Give over. No point castrating them who didn't have any balls.

lol

Seriously, there were some excellent debates and opinions from both sides and I'm sure no one was happy with how we were doing. But a few were just on the Jones Out bandwagon with no idea who to replace him with, no thought for the consequences, showed lots of bitterness towards Jones, and sometimes mercilessly castigated those who thought he should remain. Those who ticked all 4 boxes deserve some comeuppance, though as others have said they seem to have become The Disappeared.

I agree we are not out of the woods. Hopefully we won't go back to our previous state but if we do we've learnt a lot from recent months. Surely won't stop some polarisation though.

Guest Big Guns

Full fathom five thy father lies;

Of his bones are coral made;

Those are pearls that were his eyes;

Nothing of him that does fade,

But doth suffer a sea-change

Into something rich and strange.

Sea-nymphs hourly ring his knell:

Ding-dong,

Hark! Now i hear them- Ding-dong, bell.

Just for you Big Guns. lol

William Shakespeare came in the pub yesterday

The landlord said get our your baird....

Guest Distraught!

William Shakespeare was sat talking to BG and his mate in the pub. They started a conversation about Sheffield Wednesday's managers. BG said to Shakespeare "Who do you think was our worst manager then?" The Bard said "Alas poor Yorath, I knew him well".

lol

William Shakespeare was sat talking to BG and his mate in the pub. They started a conversation about Sheffield Wednesday's managers. BG said to Shakespeare "Who do you think was our worst manager then?" The Bard said "Alas poor Yorath, I knew him well".

lol