Dave Jones

not at all ,i hope he's here for the next 10 years and makes a success of it .......you'll not find one post of mine where i've called for him to be sacked .criticised yes sacked no .

Thats the correct way to go about it mate, i too criticised DJ when i felt he got things wrong and will do so again if i feel its needed but will do so with reasoning and not resort to childish insults.

Like you i want DJ to be successful because if he is it means the club we love is successful and at the end of the day thats what every Wednesday fan wants wether your pro DJ or anti DJ we are all pro SWFC.

Guest Distraught!

The most boring thing was not the fact that he got abused or the fact that people wanted him sacked, it was the great number who wanted to convince everybody else that he should be sacked too and thought that if they shouted the loudest and longest, repeating the same things over and over again in every thread whilst twisting every aspect of the truth to their agenda then eventually it would happen. They didn't need to abuse anyone to do this but they were just as bad in my eyes. So so so boring.

The worst thing from my perspective was the posters who questioned my loyalty to Sheffield Wednesday or my right to call myself a fan simply because I defended Jones on a number of issues. That made me p1ssed off.

The worst thing from my perspective was the posters who questioned my loyalty to Sheffield Wednesday or my right to call myself a fan simply because I defended Jones on a number of issues. That made me p1ssed off.

Likewise those who said DJ had got things wrong were labelled just the same.

Some of the abuse was as bad from both sides so i wont believe that the pro DJ fans hold any high moral ground on that score.

Guest Distraught!

Likewise those who saidDJ had got things wrong were labelled just the same.

Some of the abuse was as bad from both sides so i wont believe that the pro DJ fans hold any high moral ground on that score.

Are you certain about that?

Almost all the pro-Jones posters that I saw were happy to concede there was plenty of reason to question Jones' position given the form but were also happy to argue reasons why change might not be for the better.

The majority of the anti-Jones posters were not even prepared to put up a decent argument and only resorted to abuse.

How much abuse did Darryl Keys get for posting well reasoned and articulate posts calling for Jones to be replaced?

Edited by Distraught!

Are you certain about that?

Almost all the pro-Jones posters that I saw were happy to concede there was plenty of reason to question Jones' position given the form but were also happy to argue reasons why change might not be for the better.

The majority of the anti-Jones posters were not even prepared to put up a decent argument and only resorted to abuse.

How much abuse did Darryl Keys get for posting well reasoned and articulate posts calling for Jones to be replaced?

Im certain i heard petty name calling and general bullshit from both sides at times yes.

If you can be bothered to look through some of the threads that descended into just general arguments im pretty sure you would find them, i havent got the time or inclanation but they are there.

Guest Deleted member

I have to admit - I did question whether some were Blades.

Funny that none of those I did question are posting now....

I think some people are being a little disingenuous about this.

Firstly, they try to represent the debate as polarised into one of two distinct opposites with no variation or ambiguity (this is so tiresome and infects every aspect of human life). This is much too simplistic and doesn't accurately represent the full breadth of opinion.

Secondly, some were quite happy to berate Jones at every opportunity with made up arguments, conjecture, abuse and downright falsehoods but now we're supposed to pretend none of that ever happened on the clichéd basis that it's divisive? They seem to want their cake and eat it and employ standards for others that they did not entertain for themselves when we were losing regularly.

Thirdly, for the most part (and I realise there may have been exceptions), those supportive of the manager were much more balanced in their views, accepting that the manager had much to answer for, whereas their 'opponents' often would not allow themselves to give Jones the tiniest credit, even for things they would have been happy to acknowledge just a few weeks before. 

Fourthly, as has already been pointed out, posters putting forward some sort of logical reasoning for their stance (Daz and BRADDAZ come to mind) received little criticism as I recall. In fact, they were often told that they had a point. After all, long losing sequences, poor performances and being second from bottom of the table were hardly secrets perceptible to just an enlightened few. Personally, apart from the personal attacks and attention seekers, I also resented the sloganeers. These are people you can see at any club that is struggling that just casually throw around stuff like 'he's lost the dressing room', 'he's got no plan B' or 'he's lost the plot' as if that contains any kind of truth or wisdom. 

All that said, there is little to be gained from continuing the boxing match and I'd rather avoid 'I told you so' stuff in the main. But that doesn't mean that some people aren't being frauds and hypocrites. 

The point that some have been making though DJM is that the nonsense really has been both ways. It's fair to say that some of the staunch DJ supporters were incredibly vitriolic against Megson for example. It's seems to be human nature too that the dissenting voice always carries more 'passion' than the supprtive one. I do agree about the slogans .... add 'happy clappers' and 'cult of Megson' to the list.

The 'I told you so stuff' will continue to ping pong around as results fluctuate unfortunately. I don't like it, I like less the insults at fellow posters (both ways).

Back to football and in a nutshell I personally believe that Jones was open to reasonable criticism for quite a large chunk of the season to date. I believe that he has made some positive changes though, including some of his own action/ways, that have contributed to our better performances and results of late. I doubted that he would or could do it but am pleased that he has.

Back to football and in a nutshell I personally believe that Jones was open to reasonable criticism for quite a large chunk of the season to date. I believe that he has made some positive changes though, including some of his own action/ways, that have contributed to our better performances and results of late. I doubted that he would or could do it but am pleased that he has.

One of the themes that I have referred to over and over again is that football is not as predictable as some people would like to pretend it is. Results and performances can change suddenly. Although I was generally tolerant of the manager (I did have an 'ambivalent' period) I shared those same doubts. When you're losing a long sequence of games and dropping down the division you'd be mad not to. And I'm certainly not going to pretend that I somehow knew this run of good form was coming.

Also, we shouldn't get too triumphant just yet. Two or three bad results could easily drop us right back into the scrap. 

Too true i feared the worst on saturday and thought we had missed the opportunity to put a little day light between us and the bottom three.

Thankfully that wasnt the case but a bad performance, a bad mistake, an injury or a wrong call by the officials and we could easily get sucked back down there.

Its far from over yet, it wouldnt be Wednesday if it was. (Yes i know its Monday DJM) lol

..... true DJM and if that happens the 'blood letting' will reach another level.

Personally whilst we've not necessarily been playing champagne football or tonking teams, in fact a couple of results have been a bit streaky, I do see a better team developing; not just better results and for that reason I am optimistic that we'll be OK. Illogical superstition prevents me continuing any more in this vein though!!

Edited by Dagmeister

As someone who would quite happily have seen Jones relieved of his duties a couple of months ago, nobody is more pleased than me that things have turned around (I suspect a few people would have been happy for the team to keep losing to suit their argument). I want to see a Wednesday side that wins games and shows balls (not literally, that would be hideous), which is what we're getting now. The way things were going in terms of bad results and performances, which were as bad as I've ever seen, it seemed that Jones had lost the plot and he made a series of utterly baffling decisions (negative and illogical formations, no obvious gameplan, the persistance in selecting wastes of a shirt such as Bothroyd and Sidibe etc) with no sign of things turning around.

Fortunately something seemed to flip the common sense switch in his head, and things have dramatically changed for the better. Logical team selections, players in roles that suit them, and a new found stomach for a battle amongst the players and things are looking much brighter, and I congratulate Dave for that and long may it continue. The thing that still worries me slightly is that the side and system which has achieved the success is set up to be effective away from home, where it has done brilliantly, but a lack of creativity and the onus on us to take the game to the opposition at home means that the form at Hillsborough hasn't been good (1 win in the last 8 home games, despite the overall improvement in form, which is frustrating because a couple more home wins would have seen us in midtable). Hopefully he'll get the balance right, and the signing of a proven striker like Lita will most certainly help.

I'm not ready to proclaim Jones as the Messiah just yet after a period of improvement after which we're still in a relegation scrap (but in a much better position than we were, obviously), but as I said nobody will be happier than me if he proves to be the success of a manager that we've been waiting years for.

WAWAW

Our form was becoming a joke. Some of DJ's decisions were mind-blowing. Some of DJ's signings have proven to be bloody awful.

DJ deserved a section of our fanbase questioning him and asking serious questions whether he was fit to be managing us or not.

However, DJ did not deserve the abuse that a small minority threw his way. DJ is the manager of a football club and makes decisions - he'll get some right and he'll get some wrong.

Abusing managers and players is not acceptable - even more so when it is your own manager and players. Question decisions, signings, tactics etc if you don't agree, but keep the abuse to yourself.

Guest Big Guns

Who gives a flip it makes good reading the cult of megson and the cult of Jones followers wanting to kill each other long may it continue...