Best Sheffield Wednesday Game You've Ever Been To?

Guest @DSapeyOwl

8 hours ago, alanharper said:

Highlights from that Man Utd game are available in the catch-up section on Sky at the moment.

They had most of their "classic" line up which won the treble a year later, Neville, Irwin, Stam, Beckham, Keane, Scholes, Cole, Yorke and we beat them with Danny Sonner and Jonk in the middle and Booth up front! 

The 3-1 win was the season that Man Utd won the treble so it was only a matter of months later. We had a good home record against them in the 90's. 

I always look back on the start to the 96/97 season with fond memories. Humphreys scored a cracking volley opening day against Villa that gets overlooked due to the Leicester goal a few games later.

Midweek away at Leeds, hot late summer evening it pi**ed it down, Humphreys got another goal, went barmy in the little triangle allocation they gave us in the corner, then on to Newcastle. Another hot day, another small away allocation in the corner, Shearer fever in full force after his record summer transfer and of course he scored but a late winner from Whittingham sent us top of the league. Happy days! 

Wouldn't say any were the best game I've seen but I'd only started going to away games regularly the season before, it was the best start to a top flight season I've seen us have and fairly unexpected on the back of the previous campaign. 

4 hours ago, panda800 said:

Away at Millwall in the  fa Cup  4-4   90-91 season   we played  them  3 months before and lost 4-2   missed our first goal  because we where  stuck on the m1

In the 4-4 game wasn’t there 4 goals in the last 10 minutes? I seem to recall Wednesday going 4-3 up in the 90th minute then they equalised.

* Ive just checked out that game and I wasn’t right. We did take the lead with 5 mins left before they equalised though.

Hirst took his goal very well.

Edited by sexpistol

Beating Spurs in 1960 at Hillsborough 2 - 1. They had not lost a game until then. The crowd was 57,000 and the ground had only 3 sides as the North Stand was being built with many thousands locked outside. Wednesday finished on 66 points when you only got 2 points for a win.. Beating Chelsea 2 - 0 at Villa Park in the 1966 semi final and Wembley 1991

13 hours ago, sexpistol said:

In the 4-4 game wasn’t there 4 goals in the last 10 minutes? I seem to recall Wednesday going 4-3 up in the 90th minute then they equalised.

* Ive just checked out that game and I wasn’t right. We did take the lead with 5 mins left before they equalised though.

Hirst took his goal very well.

I was at that game, having only started going to matches the year before and being only able to go to away games in London. My memory is a bit hazy, but I seem to remember Millwall scoring in the first minute, it being 2-2 at half time, Viv Anderson scoring to put us 4-3 up with about five minutes left (one of his first games for us), and Millwall equalising with almost the last kick.

Brighton first leg for atmosphere. Great game too tbf. Two very good teams battling it out.

I went to the 1-3 away at Leicester about 10 years ago. That game had everything: relegation decider, two missed penalties, a fight back from a goal down and a last minute goal to seal the victory. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hayton owl said:

Beating Spurs in 1960 at Hillsborough 2 - 1. They had not lost a game until then. The crowd was 57,000 and the ground had only 3 sides as the North Stand was being built with many thousands locked outside. Wednesday finished on 66 points when you only got 2 points for a win.. Beating Chelsea 2 - 0 at Villa Park in the 1966 semi final and Wembley 1991

Wow, wasn't even alive, must have been amazing to see the ground that packed.

15 hours ago, sage owl said:

Carlisle away in the FA cup 2nd round  ?Dec 15th 1979 lost 3-0 but it was the first trip for the Wino Express. Start of some crazy trips. 

I didnt know that. I presume you mean the Wino from The Ball at Ecclesfield? Started going on the Wino in either 80 or 81.

3 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

I was at that game, having only started going to matches the year before and being only able to go to away games in London. My memory is a bit hazy, but I seem to remember Millwall scoring in the first minute, it being 2-2 at half time, Viv Anderson scoring to put us 4-3 up with about five minutes left (one of his first games for us), and Millwall equalising with almost the last kick.

A very friendly policeman came for a chat when it was 4-3 and with time running out, to kindly inform me that, 'If you want to get away from here alive, you better hope Millwall score soon'.

How refreshing for a member of the Met. to have our saftey at the forefront of their matchday policing strategy.

3 minutes ago, Rodger Wylde said:

A very friendly policeman came for a chat when it was 4-3 and with time running out, to kindly inform me that, 'If you want to get away from here alive, you better hope Millwall score soon'.

How refreshing for a member of the Met. to have our saftey at the forefront of their matchday policing strategy.

Remember a copper at Chester away in the FA Cup making this big speech to us about the city having the second highest gay population in the UK in an attempt to make us go straight home after the game.

I said, “Don’t worry fella, we’re fine with that.  Me personally, I’m only into blokes in uniforms!”

• Haha 1

Guest freerole

Millenium Stadium v Hartlepool

Wycombe

Man Utd Boxing day 92

Bristol City about three years ago (the evening match)

Each victory against the Blades

Leeds 6-0

ETA Blackburn away in the semi final!!

Edited by freerole
Another memory popped up

I agree with a lot of the suggestions.

Who could forget the FAC draws with Arsenal at Filbert street in the 70's.

Blackburn away in 80

91 League cup

93 FAC semi

Cardiff playoff final

Brighton at home in the playoff semi.

too many to choose from.....