Best Sheffield Wednesday Game You've Ever Been To?

Guest @DSapeyOwl

5 minutes ago, sonofbert2 said:

Remember a copper at Chester away in the FA Cup making this big speech to us about the city having the second highest gay population in the UK in an attempt to make us go straight home after the game.

I said, “Don’t worry fella, we’re fine with that.  Me personally, I’m only into blokes in uniforms!”

Ah, so it's not a new thing then!

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Nut said:

I didnt know that. I presume you mean the Wino from The Ball at Ecclesfield? Started going on the Wino in either 80 or 81.

Yep I think that's the one I was talking to the organiser Stuart about it being the 40th anniversary of it. I thought it was the third round in the following January but Google says not. I think we went to all the league matches for the rest of the season. But my memory of these times is quite poor for some reason. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sage owl said:

Yep I think that's the one I was talking to the organiser Stuart about it being the 40th anniversary of it. I thought it was the third round in the following January but Google says not. I think we went to all the league matches for the rest of the season. But my memory of these times is quite poor for some reason. 

Yeah Stuart Wroe. Think my first time on the Wino was Blackburn away 1980 when we won 2 1 and virtually sealed promotion. What a night. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Nut said:

Yeah Stuart Wroe. Think my first time on the Wino was Blackburn away 1980 when we won 2 1 and virtually sealed promotion. What a night. 

Yeah what a night i was on that one can everything up to stopping at the pub on the way  back. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SiJ said:

Brighton first leg for atmosphere. Great game too tbf. Two very good teams battling it out.

I went to the 1-3 away at Leicester about 10 years ago. That game had everything: relegation decider, two missed penalties, a fight back from a goal down and a last minute goal to seal the victory. 

I was at that game, sat with the Leicester fans. The away end looked absolutely rocking. Was weird sat on my hands as the goals flew in 

I'm amazed that the 3-3 draw with Man Utd on Boxing Day 1992 hasn't been mentioned. I thought it was a fabulous game, both teams going for it from the off, The number of chances created at both ends was unbelievable and whilst I always felt aggrieved that we'd lost a 3 goal lead (who'd have thought that of Wednesday?), it was a fair result. That season, in a parallel world, we did the double over Man Utd (the away game being the famous Fergie Time match on Easter Saturday) whereas we only took 1 point off them. 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2013 at 09:47, Cpt_Hatstand said:

4-4 huddersfield, or the 6-2 defeat to man city in 01/02. City were absolutely bossing the league and we were struggling (what's new?). Leigh bromby netted a 20 yard header just after half time to make it 2-2, then city ran away with it in the last 20 minutes. It was genuine Roy of the rovers end to end stuff up to then (even up to city scoring their 5th I remember), just full blown entertainment.

Reyt match that. I think we even took the lead in first 5 minutes

4 hours ago, TaxiMark said:

What a nice place the old den was .

I thought  it  was OK   rough and ready  yes .. I  always loved  going to West ham  that  was  rough  as well  but you can't knock the atmosphere   we had a good record there  in those days  they must have  hated us 😃