Best Sheffield Wednesday Game You've Ever Been To?

Guest @DSapeyOwl

10 minutes ago, Johnny Concrete said:

In recent times I'd say the game against Carlisle when Antonio scored the stoppage time winner, the Kop just erupted when the ball went in. Think it was about then you had the sneaky feeling we might just nick second spot since them lot had just had the worse week prior to that game after Chedwyn was jailed and they crumbled.

Apart from that, personally I'd say the win against Man Utd when we won 3-1, Schmeichel had a nightmare for the first goal by Alexanderson. They had the strongest team in the Premiership at that point, Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke upfront at the time.

After that Antonio goal I couldn't speak for about 5 minutes after...When the footballing gods throw you a crumb.

4 minutes ago, HIGHERSTATE said:

28 degree heat before kick off..flooding, electric storms for two hours and then this match.  If it was a film you'd call it corny.

Ah....that was a good night...explosion at the end..excellent. UTO.

Some personal favourites;

Man Utd home Boxing Day 92

Blackburn away league cup 4-2

Oldham home 2-2

Leeds away 3-2. Brunt from touchline

Obviously pigs at Wembley, Cardiff final and league cup win were fantastic days for Wednesday fans. All great occasions. 

Edited by Bouncing Owl

5 hours ago, hatowl said:

My first game 1968. SWFC 5-4 Man Unt. After that I was hooked for life.

Yes...beating the European champions a couple of days before I left to join the army at 15 was something special...btw it should have been 6-4 because Megson's goal was disallowed for offside when it flew into the net from outside the box with no one remotely interfering with play

In terms of drama it has to be the 5-4 against Charlton in Jan 1983 it wasn’t that the football was scintillating, but the game kept going back and forth.

There have been many better games and many where I have felt better after winning, but for drama it has to be the 5-4 game.

1991 away at West Ham, we won 3-1, two from Hirst and one from Williams. Wednesday absolutely took the Hammers apart with a superb team performance. Also my first ever game at Hillsborough, 1-3 League Cup defeat to Everton- but what an atmosphere!! 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Johnny Concrete said:

In recent times I'd say the game against Carlisle when Antonio scored the stoppage time winner, the Kop just erupted when the ball went in. Think it was about then you had the sneaky feeling we might just nick second spot since them lot had just had the worse week prior to that game after Chedwyn was jailed and they crumbled.

Apart from that, personally I'd say the win against Man Utd when we won 3-1, Schmeichel had a nightmare for the first goal by Alexanderson. They had the strongest team in the Premiership at that point, Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke upfront at the time.

Highlights from that Man Utd game are available in the catch-up section on Sky at the moment.

They had most of their "classic" line up which won the treble a year later, Neville, Irwin, Stam, Beckham, Keane, Scholes, Cole, Yorke and we beat them with Danny Sonner and Jonk in the middle and Booth up front! 

On 08/06/2020 at 16:32, sexpistol said:

In terms of drama it has to be the 5-4 against Charlton in Jan 1983 it wasn’t that the football was scintillating, but the game kept going back and forth.

There have been many better games and many where I have felt better after winning, but for drama it has to be the 5-4 game.

I remember that as being terrible match when it came to the actual football!

1974 vs Man Utd..  

Had everything - spectacular goals from Harvey and Shaw...  AND a pitch invasion by the Man Utd fans trying to get the game postponed...  Half time included a famous runner (forget who) running the track...  

Ended 4-4 - we should have won but after all these years it's still a highlight of my time following the Owls.

Also was the last time they were out of the top flight and their fans were disgraceful TBH....