Best Sheffield Wednesday Game You've Ever Been To?

Guest @DSapeyOwl

4-4 huddersfield, or the 6-2 defeat to man city in 01/02. City were absolutely bossing the league and we were struggling (what's new?). Leigh bromby netted a 20 yard header just after half time to make it 2-2, then city ran away with it in the last 20 minutes. It was genuine Roy of the rovers end to end stuff up to then (even up to city scoring their 5th I remember), just full blown entertainment.

Ali Bernabia ran the show that day! One of the finest individual performance i've ever seen at Hillsborough

Ali Bernabia ran the show that day! One of the finest individual performance i've ever seen at Hillsborough

The thing is though, Wednesday gave it a good go and were just outclassed by a better team. Because of that the fans stayed with them and they were applauded off despite taking a hammering on the score sheet. Certain people could take a lot from that

Guest s17owl

Got to be the day out in cardiff in 2005 and the game was amazing to top it off , absolutely brilliant we showed how massive we are 42,000 fans , shaaaaTING!!

At Hillsborough;

Sheffield Wednesday 4 Huddersfield Town 4 (2012) - for entertainment value, the game had everything; even a neutral would have seen it as value for every penny of the entrance fee.

Away Game;

Sheffield United 1 Sheffield Wednesday 2 (2009) - 95-years of Sheffield Derby voodoo broken; one of only 3,000 Owls fans to have witnessed it live. When you put it into perspective, just the fact I witnessed something and my grandad's had never seen in their live times, and my dad had never witnessed before, was amazing in itself - can't say that about many things!

Neutral Venue;

Hartlepool United 2 Sheffield Wednesday 4 (2005) - as with the Huddersfield game, it had everything; and the result was a positive one at the end of a long, hard season!

I've seen over a thousand Wednesday games since my first match in April 1981 (as a 3-week old baby!) and my most clear first memories were the 3-2 victory over Man Utd when Jemson came on as sub to turn the game around, the Stuart Pearce free-kick in the 3-0 beating by Forest which relegated us, to my first away game - a 2-0 win at Ipswich (Hirst scored) as an 8 year old. Every time I see a thread or a question like this, I can think of many, many different games that stick in the memory and will go to the grave with me. If I answer this question in 12 months time, I'll probably give different answers!

The game has to be 4-4 v Chelsea, 3-0 up - then 3-4 down - then Zico's last min Pen, not forgetting Marwoods? quality goal.

Atmosphere wise Cardiff - Play Off final was superb more outside the ground (too scared to take a drink of my stella in case a ball came out the sky and smashed me in the face)

or 

Kaiserslautern in the UEFA Cup, for all you youths who unfortunately missed out on our short Europeon venture, from the minute i got onto the Kop it was amazing, non stop noise from beginning to end, remember talking to people who lived in Shirecliffe saying they could hear the noise from their doorsteps.

Away day at White hart lane. We won 2-0. Paul williams scoring both. He took it round Eric Torsvet twice. 92 or 93 season I think it was.

We won there 2-0 in both 91-2 and 92-3.  And for good measure, 3-1 in 93-4.

I was at one of the 2-0 games. 91-2 I think. Hirst got the first, Williams the 2nd.  I was sat behind Clive Betts the MP or councillor(Forget which he is/was).

For me- best ever game was Owls 5 Man U 4.  68-9.  They were European champs at the time and they were 4-2 up at half-time on a lovely sunny day in front of over 50,000.

Also Owls 1 Man Utd 0  in 1991 LC Final.   Only time I've seen us win anything in over 50 years of watching them. Not best game- but the most memorable for me.  Never thought I'd live to see us lift a Wembley trophy.

Guest armchairfan

1991 cup final

1993 semi final and finals

play off final

last game last season

3-2 victory vs man utd aka the jemsom game

Guest armchairfan

Beating Blackburn away in the League Cup Semi of 93.

Best 1st half performance i have ever seen. We could have beat anyone based on that

Edited by armchairfan

I wasn't around for the cup finals, PL years and Wedmbley appearances etc so mine is by far the 4-4 home draw against Huddersfield last season.

Best Atmosphere however was promotion day last season. Stepping onto the kop at 20 to 3 and seeing all the inflatables bouncing about was flipping awesome!

if it had stayed at 4-3, it would have been a real contender, however...

as i generally stand at the back of the north western side, i was in line with the debacle of bywater's kicking performance that day...

we'd utterly battered them after an appallingly slow/bad start, only to throw it...

so great game, but, not a great one for a wednesday fan, i'm afraid...

blackburn under big jack, the night we really threw out hat into the ring, and without big andy too...