Best Sheffield Wednesday Game You've Ever Been To?

Guest @DSapeyOwl

Guest SouthLeedsOwl

Derby 3-3 in the cup, Jemmo last minute equaliser, semi final against the Snortbeasts, sure there's many more just those spring to mind!

I have to agree with this one. I went absolutely mental when we scored to make it 3-3

with wednesday:

oldham/newcastle home games in the 90/91 promotion season,both crackers in front of 35,000 and games that swung one way then the next.

chelsea,rumbelows semi final in 91

spurs away 91/92 when we won 2-0 we played brilliant that day,

ipswich away 4-1 in 92/93 with a carlton wonder goal

pigs in the worthington cup,atmosphere was electric!

cardiff play off final obviously.

but the one game that gave me the most pleasure was watching Emley at west ham in 1998,as a season ticket holder at Emley at the time i went to most games back then, the games against morecambe and lincoln in rounds 1 and 2 were excellent games and both teams were leagues above us at the time,but to go to upton park expecting a walloping, they had the likes of hartson,lampard,rio,kitson,etc and to come away with only a 2-1 defeat( winning goal came in 82nd minute) was just unbelievable and a day i will probably never experience again!

Guest JohnFantham

Kaiserslaughten home and away, Millenium play off for atmosphere, Owls 5 Man Ure 4 in1968, Boxing day Massacre. Lge cup final Owls 1 Man Ure 0.

Liverpool 0 Owls 2  and Man Ure 1 Owls 2 both in same season I think. Newcastle 0 Owls 1 ( Shelley) Newcastle 1 Owls 2 (1966) cup game.

And many more.

Bloody hard one this.....

Boxing day ...Sheffield semi...Sheridan 91....

the most enjoyable...and probably the most mental I have ever gone was when Mellor got the winner away at Blackburn..with that diving header...forget the bloody year without googling...but you really had to be there....Folk were virtually rolling on the bleedin' floor ...primal fookin' screams and all sorts...the atmosphere generated by Owls fans was totally off the scale in the last few minutes...and for ages after the final whistle...

It remains me favourite ever away day....funnily enough Antonios goal against Carlisle last season brought it back...I sank to me knees when that one went in...I'm 55 years old and should take these sorta things with a bit o hubris...but sadly I can't..it matters...its always mattered...

and its these memories that keep me going...after bloody dismal Saturdays...on me way home...I can bring these back...and simply reinforce what Sheffield Wednesday are about....what Sheffield Wednesday fans are about.

I know I whitter on...and I know it helps nowt when things are going wrong....harking back to the past when folk want to talk about whats happening now...but its what keeps me going...

Don't get me started on Boxing day '79...I walked the the flipping match from Gleadless..in the sodding rain.....50'000 in the ground...hoping for a 1-0 win.. in offa an offside stray dog...and we took the Blades apart...Hillsborough was awesome..I floated home

Sheridan '91..I thought we had scored too early....(I know)...I will always regret not celebrating the "Dink" goal properly...I hardly watched the rest of the game...the last 10 minutes..I stared at the floor...there was a blue balloon slowly deflating at me feet...I got it into my head that...If that balloon stayed even semi inflated until full time...We would  prevail...So I watched the balloon....amidst all the oohs and ahhs..I steadfastly watched that balloon...stupid superticious nonsense...THe balloon stayed up..we won...I picked it up an' put it in me pocket....like a flipping idiot...ive still got it... stupid Wednesday nonsense..

Me lip still quivers, first match of the season when the blue and white stripes trot out...I don't buy a paper or watch the highlights when we lose....

All these games are in the past, and they matter nowt now....in the immediacy of todays football ...but I am of an age when all I have to do is close me eyes and wing me way back to Wembley....To Blackburn...to Boxing day..to places all over the flipping country, when Wednesday have delivered.....and i can take any amount  dross...cos those days can't be taken away from me..I was there...and I'm proud to still be here..I hope i'm here when those days come again....cos theres flip all in sport like it...

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Guest Harry the Owl

4-4 huddersfield, or the 6-2 defeat to man city in 01/02. City were absolutely bossing the league and we were struggling (what's new?). Leigh bromby netted a 20 yard header just after half time to make it 2-2, then city ran away with it in the last 20 minutes. It was genuine Roy of the rovers end to end stuff up to then (even up to city scoring their 5th I remember), just full blown entertainment.

Finally! I thought I'd dreamt that game v city. I was only young and by the time we arrived we were 2-0 up. I was reyt mad at me dad. Whenever I've talked to anyone about that game they just stare at me with blank faces!

Edit-we're we even 2-0 up? Sure that's what I saw on the scoreboard!

Edited by Harry the Owl

1991 - Sheff Wed 2 Oldham 2. 2-0 down, but the second half was wave after wave of attacks. Could have won it right at the end. In terms of sheer passion, commitment, excitement, emotion, hat full of chances, near misses ..... very difficult to beat. I was drained at the end of it. It had the lot.

Edited by Maple Staple

Finally! I thought I'd dreamt that game v city. I was only young and by the time we arrived we were 2-0 up. I was reyt mad at me dad. Whenever I've talked to anyone about that game they just stare at me with blank faces!

Edit-we're we even 2-0 up? Sure that's what I saw on the scoreboard!

We were 1-0 up early on, can't remember who scored, then 2-1 down at HT. Bromby made it 2-2 early in the second half, then Man City just went berserk.

I remember being furious when Donnelly (I think) missed a simple chance at the end which would have made it 6-3.

Guest Harry the Owl

We were 1-0 up early on, can't remember who scored, then 2-1 down at HT. Bromby made it 2-2 early in the second half, then Man City just went berserk.

I remember being furious when Donnelly (I think) missed a simple chance at the end which would have made it 6-3.

Must have been 2-1 when I got there. Latest ive ever arrived at a match.

It was a really weird game. Didn't feel like we got battered. Just, every attack each team had they scored. Very entertaining.

Been, quite a few.

BDM, Cardiff away in 84. 

Liverpool away milk cup, ok we lost but as a kid seeing us play at anfield, singing well be back next year.

Kaiserslautern home and away, never though I would see us in europe proper.

Rumbellows, 1st cup and semi v blades.

Been a little thin on the ground since then great games that is.

3 minutes ago, Dagmeister's Shadow said:

Yep, easy one for me. Man U with Best, Law, Charlton et al in their pomp. 

Seen many other great games mentioned by others but this trump's all. Kaiserslautern was best atmosphere but this 5-4 win was sublime.

What a game !

Agree 100%. 

In recent times I'd say the game against Carlisle when Antonio scored the stoppage time winner, the Kop just erupted when the ball went in. Think it was about then you had the sneaky feeling we might just nick second spot since them lot had just had the worse week prior to that game after Chedwyn was jailed and they crumbled.

Apart from that, personally I'd say the win against Man Utd when we won 3-1, Schmeichel had a nightmare for the first goal by Alexanderson. They had the strongest team in the Premiership at that point, Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke upfront at the time.

• Like 1