FABRICE MUAMBA (I know not Wednesday but very important)

Guest Sheff Owl

I'm still a bit confused with it all... Can someone help me out, obviously critically I'll is not good but at least he has a chance right? Does anyone know if he's awake? Talking? On life support etc and what is % of him pulling through.

It could mean anything. The family, understandably, want privacy so I think anything at this point is purely speculative.

From the Mail website:

Bolton midfielder Fabrice Muamba is 'critically ill' in intensive care at the heart attack centre of the London Chest Hospital, the club have confirmed.

The 23-year-old midfielder suddenly fell to the turf during the FA Cup sixth round tie at Tottenham and received CPR.

It was reported earlier in the evening that Muamba was in a stable condition, but Bolton made the announcement at 9.30pm.

Edited by Freshfish

Guest Sheff Owl

Until something else is said then i think it's best not to speculate.

No further comment apparently, which is right imo.

Just hope he get's through it all.

at this moment he would ****** their hand off for that. flip football fabrice go enjoy life with the family.

I know, and I agree.

Some people take these things in different ways don't they?

You look at someone like Michael Watson and the way he's dealt with his injuries and you wonder where they find the strength.

Sadly not everyone can deal with the hand fate deals them.

Let's hope he gets the opportunity to rebuild his life.

I'm still a bit confused with it all... Can someone help me out, obviously critically I'll is not good but at least he has a chance right? Does anyone know if he's awake? Talking? On life support etc and what is % of him pulling through.

From my experience (with my mum in ICU) you can be stable and critical at the same time, stable being that they've got you in to a state where you're functioning on a level that can be maintained but that could be with machines doing a lot of the work for you so you're still 'critical'. All the people I saw in intensive care were in induced comas so he may not be awake if it works the same way. The next few days will be monitored very closely and hopefully hell start improving and get back to 100%

Don't slate me if you think I'm wrong on this, I'm not a doctor or let just thought I'd comment on the stable/critical thing.

the official statement says there will be no more news for now an dthe family want privacy. This could indicate that the lad's in a coma, perhaps medically induced, with the hope he'll pull through but it may only be 50-50.

Let's hope he gets through it

the official statement says there will be no more news for now an dthe family want privacy. This could indicate that the lad's in a coma, perhaps medically induced, with the hope he'll pull through but it may only be 50-50.

Let's hope he gets through it

I'd read it that the family want privacy and no further.

The kid is a footballer and has the lifestyle that goes with it, his family don't.

They just have an ill son/brother/nephew etc and have unexpectedly have had to deal with something that is firstly upsetting to them, and secondly a very public matter, which they probably don't know how to handle.

Unfortunately the fact he is critical means by definition his life hangs in the balance - its good news he has stabilised but the level they have stabilised him at is unknown as yet - it means he isn't currently deteriorating but it doesn't mean he hasn't already deteriorated to a very poor status - God willing that isn't the case.

Because of the prompt chest compressions, defib and oxygen there is a very good chance his brain wasn't oxygen-starved but again not enough detail yet

The fact he's in intensive care says a lot too - it doesn't mean he's at the point of no return but it does mean its likely he is unable to support his own basic functions necessary for life as yet.

The person who was saying about medically induced coma's is right - they are generally kept under heavy sedation (or "coma") because virtually all people cannot synchronise and cope with invasive mechanical ventilation when aware and alert.

He does have a lot of factors on his side - he's young and fit with good physiological reserve - so if this is survivable then he's in a better position than most would be.

I just hope he pulls through

Unfortunately the fact he is critical means by definition his life hangs in the balance - its good news he has stabilised but the level they have stabilised him at is unknown as yet - it means he isn't currently deteriorating but it doesn't mean he hasn't already deteriorated to a very poor status - God willing that isn't the case.

Because of the prompt chest compressions, defib and oxygen there is a very good chance his brain wasn't oxygen-starved but again not enough detail yet

The fact he's in intensive care says a lot too - it doesn't mean he's at the point of no return but it does mean its likely he is unable to support his own basic functions necessary for life as yet.

The person who was saying about medically induced coma's is right - they are generally kept under heavy sedation (or "coma") because virtually all people cannot synchronise and cope with invasive mechanical ventilation when aware and alert.

He does have a lot of factors on his side - he's young and fit with good physiological reserve - so if this is survivable then he's in a better position than most would be.

I just hope he pulls through

Amen brother

The one positive is that his heart did not flatline (asystole) because you can only defibrillate a heart that is still electrically active (ventricular fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia - both of which can occur as a result of a heart attack) so, with chest compressions, hopefully the lads brain wasn't starved of oxygen for too long

A very similar thing happened to a friend of mine doing sport last year( october) She collapsed and died for 20 mins. Another friend who is a paramedic was there and got her heart going finally. She was in intensive care for3 weeks and had a quadruple bypass. Today she returns to the sport she loves.

So there is always hope and the ambulance service and NHs really deserve to be treat with total respect.

There is always hope. All the best to Muamba.

I think we should find out more about Andy Scotts charity and try and raise awareness and some money for the cause.

Just makes you think...... all these millions wasted on Olymic "games" when vital services (such as the ones which hopefully contributed to saving a young lads life yesterday) are facing huge cut backs. The country needs to have a look at itself.

Is it just me, or has this really highlighted how disgraceful it is when players throw themselves to the ground and roll around like they have been shot, when they have barely been touched?

Clubs and players should agree to clean this behaviour up, at the very least to show some respect to players who really are seriously injured and stand to lose their career / life

I hope Fabrice makes a full recovery, but I fear a big part of his life is now over which is a real shame