Retained List

I'm very happy that JOC has been offered a new contract. I think too many Wednesday fans expect a midfielder to be able to run, pass, tackle and score goals and this just isn't the case with most players.

JOC is a decent ball winning mid-fielder who tends to do a lot of the ugly things that don't get picked up on or earn the headlines. He is the perfect foil for a decent passing mid-fielder with a good engine, the problem is he's never really played in the middle of the park with such a player and so he hasn't got the credit he's deserved and has come in for an awful lot of (in my view) unfair stick. Had he been playing the last 2 seasons with Glen Whelan, I'm sure some fans would have a very different opinion of him as he'd be able to just sit in front of the back four, help break up the attacks and then give the ball to Whelan.

Also, I think his hard work ethic, his effort levels and ability to get stuck in are perfectly suited to this division and had our entire squad had his attitude, we'd probably not have been relegated!!

Its all such a massive over reaction to us retaining a blatant option for squad cover.

I'm far from a JOC fan, I'm pretty sure him and Potter have scarred me for life.

However, looking at this with at least a shred of optimism...JOC has the kind of attitude that will help within the squad...and I do think he's being kept on primarily because he has experience and is settled in and will be a good voice on the training field in helping settle our new recruits.

He won't be on a big wage at all, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a large drop in wages to be honest. Miller is the better player, but he would have cost a lot more to retain and has had quite a bad injury record for us.

Bit surprised re JOC but I can see why managers like him.

Megson turned to him when we were in the poo and knew he would get 100% from him.

Also, we need a squad. Just because he's staying it doesn't mean he will be a regular starter.

Have faith in Megson.

I'm very happy that JOC has been offered a new contract. I think too many Wednesday fans expect a midfielder to be able to run, pass, tackle and score goals and this just isn't the case with most players.

JOC is a decent ball winning mid-fielder who tends to do a lot of the ugly things that don't get picked up on or earn the headlines. He is the perfect foil for a decent passing mid-fielder with a good engine, the problem is he's never really played in the middle of the park with such a player and so he hasn't got the credit he's deserved and has come in for an awful lot of (in my view) unfair stick. Had he been playing the last 2 seasons with Glen Whelan, I'm sure some fans would have a very different opinion of him as he'd be able to just sit in front of the back four, help break up the attacks and then give the ball to Whelan.

Also, I think his hard work ethic, his effort levels and ability to get stuck in are perfectly suited to this division and had our entire squad had his attitude, we'd probably not have been relegated!!

Im with you on this mate.

Pleased he has been offered a new deal.

IMO I'd have offered Miller a new contract. I know people in here aren't too fond of him but he's got the experience in midfield and he's been quality in most of the games he's played. JOC has improved recently but I still wouldn't have offered him one. Got to try and get Mellor, Jones and Batth back though definitely.

So, so happy Miller has gone some of you must be blind if you thought he gave us anything,

thank god someone looked into his contract, I can just imagine after every game, going back to his

missus and saying only 6 more games then we've got a new contract lets buy a new house

always been overpaid and overrated just like purse.

With so many players not wanted, still under contract, I thought JOC was getting freed. I maintain that Sean McAllister is a better player than either JOC or Potter and only got released himself because they were both still under contract last season.

Guest Darkus Owlus

Such an interesting set of fans we are.

Two days ago you were rated up for wanting O'Connor out, 48 hours later if you speak against him you're gunned down.

I would like the neggers to justify why such an underperformer should merit a new contract, if he does Miller does.

I think with Miller it boils down to the fact that we could get 2 or 3 players in for his wages, even last season we saw that players couldnt command the usual high level of wage.

If he goes to the Blades then you would have to wonder what the reasoning is, but Megsons' JOC "bleeds blue and white" comments a few weeks ago answers all the questions regarding him being offered a new deal. I'm 50/50 on O'Connor really as obviously there are better players, but Megson has been banging on about the right attitude for months so he obviously has his reasons for keeping him within the squad.

When I've seen him recently hes worked his ginger ball bag off in games where we were teetering on the edge of the relegation zone. I thought he did well and has something to offer to the squad provided we sign some additional central midfielders who can create something and get up and down the pitch. Either a combo of Miller and JOC or Potter and JOC is far too static.

I think this is about building a squad, and within that squad you need certain qualities. The qualities JOC brings are these as I see it;-

- he's prepared to be a bit part player without getting the monk on.

- he has experience, ie - if we're 1-0 up in the drby next year with 20mins left I reckon JOC could be relied upon to shut down someone like Williamson who might just be able to drag them back into the game.

- he leads by example in training by all accounts

- he will back the Manager - vital if Megson is to maintain the belief of the squad if we're going through a rough patch. There's clearly an attitude problem amongst some of our current crop - the more JOC like temperaments in the dressing room the better.

- he has a good fitness record

On the down side he lacks quality and is physically not very imposing for a centre midfield player.

We don't need 22 players who expect to start every week - this will cause issues, no doubt about it. I see this as a good move but hardly a decision that will make or break our season. Some of the posts in this thread border on hysteria.

Edited by RUMBELOWS91

I think this is about building a squad, and within that squad you need certain qualities. The qualities JOC brings are these as I see it;-

- he has experience, ie - if we're 1-0 up in the drby next year with 20mins left I reckon JOC could be relied upon to shut down someone like Williamson who might just be able to drag them back into the game.

- he will back the Manager - vital if Megson is to maintain the belief of the squad if we're going through a rough patch. There's clearly an attitude problem amongst some of our current crop - the more JOC like temperaments in the dressing room the better.

On the down side he lacks quality and is physically not very imposing for a centre midfield player.

We don't need 22 players who expect to start every week - this will cause issues, no doubt about it. I see this as a good move but hardly a decision that will make or break our season. Some of the posts in this thread border on hysteria.

Exactly, this is down to him being on a reasonable wage and being value for money whilst also being one of the manager's "exemplars". Megson knows exactly what he's doing in keeping JOC and id say only 40% of it is down to his ability on the pitch.

In fairness, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes. As far as we know megson might have 2 centre midfielders lined up and o'connor may be a mere squad player, and potter could be on the transfer list. Megson isn't stupid. He's been in the game a long time and I'm sure he knows as well as we do that the midfield needs strengthening. Let's wait and see.

I agree with this. If we were able to make massive changes and get everyone out, you lose any kind of team bond/spirit that's built up. JOC has a top attitude, and as a senior pro Megson will want that example for the rest of the squad.

Miller can't hack 2 games a week, as Megson has pointed out, and sounds like he's on big wages.

Not surprised by this decision at all.

Guest Darkus Owlus

I agree with this. If we were able to make massive changes and get everyone out, you lose any kind of team bond/spirit that's built up. JOC has a top attitude, and as a senior pro Megson will want that example for the rest of the squad.

Miller can't hack 2 games a week, as Megson has pointed out, and sounds like he's on big wages.

Not surprised by this decision at all.

I'd argue that this season we were without a doubt the worst team in the league for team spirit and togetherness.

Half the time the defence couldn't last 5 minutes against supposedly weak teams. Imo we need to build the basic foundation of team spirit, Brighton are that example.

Absolutely bang on.

It's a bit of a tenuous link, but it's a bit like Sir Alex Ferguson regularly picking J S Park for the big games because he knows he can rely on him. JOC probably won't be a regular starter, but Megson knows that he can be around as an integral part of the SQUAD in the dressing room and on the training ground.

Hey there's been no fiercer critic of Megson than me, but I'm with him on this one We are not going to be able to revamp the squad to the extent that we can have 2 top players for every position. Reenlisting JOC makes sense if we have his services to complement the new ball winner and hopefully a new playmaker As I've said before, it's more of a mystery that we felt we were able to jettison Osbourne who I thought gave us something we have been missing for years However if Megson can find the right central pairing, I'd be happy to keep O'Connor, Come and Palmer as back up

OK

I like O'Connor.

I know the facts show our midfield has been totally ineffective for a large part of the season, but for me O'Connor has an excellent attitude and always puts a shift in.

If we were talking about Potter being offered a contract if he was in the same situation, then that would be totally outrageous. With JOC, you can see why Megson would want to keep him.

If he does stay with us and starts the first few games, I hope he does well, otherwise he will be a boo-boy to make Purse look like Roland Nilsson