Wednesday 1974

Thise were some of my favourite times as well - it was when i was allowed to go to games with my mates for the 1st time without my Dad - could spend my money how i liked - on pop, pies and scarves - could trawl the Leppings Lane pretending we were looking for away fans and then pooing ourselves if we saw any

I did worship those players - epsecially Potts, Craig, Henderson and Prendo

I even loved Sammy Todd....

Thise were some of my favourite times as well - it was when i was allowed to go to games with my mates for the 1st time without my Dad - could spend my money how i liked - on pop, pies and scarves - could trawl the Leppings Lane pretending we were looking for away fans and then pooing ourselves if we saw any

Think you've gone a tad too far with that Scram.

Edited by erickpottsfc

Think you've gone a tad too far with that Scram.

I remember him coming on as a sub once (think it was against Oxford?) and my dad said "he's crap" - so i instantly wanted to like him - first thing he did was go in for a challenge right in front of us on The North and the player initially beat him but Sammy took him out with his trailing leg as the player cut back inside - sort of like a scissor tackle - he became an immediate hero

First time i'd ever seen one of those scissor tackles - not a free kick either - though you could launch a machete attack on players in those days without giving a free kick away...

Must just be me then.

I loved those times.

If I could go back and re-live every minute, I would.

I think 99 per cent of us are with you on that.

Football was a game not a crazy money driven business.

As a kid it was a massive buzz.

Seeing a player like Willie Henderson was the highlight of my week.

Maybe it's seeing things through rose tinted nostalgic glasses but I wish we had a player like him now.

[/quote sammy todd legend up there with..... brian usher ,archie irvine ,jim craig ,barrie watling ,colin west ,ashley westwood ( the all time worst) and jeffers!!!!!

anyone remember the last game of that season hull away .......ken knighton led out the team and went to about a 1,000 wednesdayites who gave them a standing ovation .... we still lost though but as previous posters have said it was still good times and thats why those of us who lived through that dont get to depressed about the present ....we know we'll be back

Cheers Roydsey ,and I hope you continue to revel (as I suspect you do) in your hard-won notoriety on this site!

I wouldn't say it was hard won. I even got negative post from the ghost believers, on another thread, after I doubted the existence of spiritual beings. :biggrin:

Edited by M Royds

I'll have to look into it. Didn't Eric McMordie sign on loan, have a blinder and then it all go downhill from there?

If I recall correctly, he scored six goals in nine games on loan but wasn't interested in making the move a permanent one. Underlining just how feeble we were that season, that nine game contribution was enough for him to finish top scorer !

The return match against York was the 1st match into the 'save our Owls' campaign that season, remember we took loads & got hammered 3 zip. Loved Yorks kit with the big Y on the front. Sammy was on our coach n'all. They were good days even though we were cr@p.

..i loved going back then...home and away....the football was secondary..actually it had to be we were so fookin' shockingly bad...lol

Me too.........especially away, I found it refreshing that the kind opposing fans let us stand on their kops. :biggrin:

it does coincide with us being young mind.

One of my early heroes JimMcCalliog playing against us. I'm in that crowd in the corner on Leppings Lane. I'd took my little cousin and daren't risk taking him on the East Bank. It was a truly astonishing game. We were an awful team on the way to oblivion and they were certs to win the league yet we very nearly won it. The Manu hooligans were everywhere and there were skirmishes on Leppings lane too.

It's impossible to explain to a "young 'un" now how football was back then. I know we look back with rose tinted glasses but so much was better. You could just turn up and get in....anywhere! I remember meeting a schoolfriend on Chesterfield station who was going to Forest and I persuaded him to come to Wednesday instead. There were no tickets, booking online, artificial and cringemaking announcers and goal music. And, best of all, only FOOTBALL supporters went. I come across people now who go to Manu (or Derby or United) just "to see a PL game". I hate it, give me the old days without the malign influence of Sky.

Guest kentowl

The return match against York was the 1st match into the 'save our Owls' campaign that season, remember we took loads & got hammered 3 zip. Loved Yorks kit with the big Y on the front. Sammy was on our coach n'all. They were good days even though we were cr@p.

There used to be a photo of Yorks' kop that day in the photos section on here. Choc full of Owls giving it "You'll Never Walk Alone" by the look of all the raised scarves. Man U old boys still talk of the 20k they brought to Hillsborough that day - one of the few exaggerations that is actually true! Villa brought loads as well on their final away match of the season. Wednesday have good and at times great away support in these last crappy 10 years , but in those days it was something else , and revered around the country. Having 10k at home , then taing 4k to Bury in midweek was the norm back then , and took a lot of teams (and local police forces ) by surprise!

There used to be a photo of Yorks' kop that day in the photos section on here. Choc full of Owls giving it "You'll Never Walk Alone" by the look of all the raised scarves. Man U old boys still talk of the 20k they brought to Hillsborough that day - one of the few exaggerations that is actually true! Villa brought loads as well on their final away match of the season. Wednesday have good and at times great away support in these last crappy 10 years , but in those days it was something else , and revered around the country. Having 10k at home , then taing 4k to Bury in midweek was the norm back then , and took a lot of teams (and local police forces ) by surprise!

[/quote

I remember going to BlACKPOOL when they had four policemen to meet four special trains you can't imagine what it was like in Blackpool that day.... :laugh:

remember going to blackpool, on the way home missed the train, and three of us set off walking ,the team bus picked us up directors and players on it , shared evreything with us ,Food booze .the lot ,

Fantastic days ,then got lift upto cross in a directors Rolls, could'nt see it happening now though.

That was the last match I went to before leaving Sheffield, I always thought that we got relegated due to the result, but looking at other posts it 

seems not. My memory isn't as good as what it was.