Wednesday 1974

remember it well sat in the north stand watching all the fighting going on in the kop ........club sold tommy craig the week after that game and only scored 5 more goals in the last 21 games of that season ....those who are to young to remember you cannot possibly imagine how dire we were .

remember it well sat in the north stand watching all the fighting going on in the kop ........club sold tommy craig the week after that game and only scored 5 more goals in the last 21 games of that season ....those who are to young to remember you cannot possibly imagine how dire we were .

Manure must have brought close to 20000 that day (most had Manchester accents in those days) - they took the Kop and Leppings Lane - 125 arrests that day if memory serves due to fighting in the 2nd half in the bottom corner of the Kop. I was on the Kop but kept quiet!! Jim Holton broke his leg for them.

Manure must have brought close to 20000 that day (most had Manchester accents in those days) - they took the Kop and Leppings Lane - 125 arrests that day if memory serves due to fighting in the 2nd half in the bottom corner of the Kop. I was on the Kop but kept quiet!! Jim Holton broke his leg for them.

He also broke his leg for us in a pre-season friendly, (I think).

I remember the photo of the kop in the morning telegraph on the monday. A tiny bunch of wednesdayites surrounded by police and the rest of the kop seemed to be all man utd. It was the deal then though...'taking the home' kop. Also, mounted police running the whole length of the pitch. The good old days....not. One heck of an atmosphere though....Seem to remember Birmingham taking the kop as well I think. If you thought Wednesday were pants last season you should have been there for that. Was it one goal scored by Wednesday from January to the end of the season. I'll have to look into it. Didn't Eric McMordie sign on loan, have a blinder and then it all go downhill from there?

Guest East_Dene_Owl

I remember the photo of the kop in the morning telegraph on the monday. A tiny bunch of wednesdayites surrounded by police and the rest of the kop seemed to be all man utd. It was the deal then though...'taking the home' kop. Also, mounted police running the whole length of the pitch. The good old days....not. One heck of an atmosphere though....Seem to remember Birmingham taking the kop as well I think. If you thought Wednesday were pants last season you should have been there for that. Was it one goal scored by Wednesday from January to the end of the season. I'll have to look into it. Didn't Eric McMordie sign on loan, have a blinder and then it all go downhill from there?

I can remember it well that season, McMordie was on loan from Middlesborough and he couldn't even get a game in there reserves, he was our top goalscorer that season with 6 goals if I remember right.

And for those Man U hooligans! They darn't come on Canterlever that day. :happy:

I thought it was a bad year, but not quite as bad as this.....Here are the grim details of the 74-5 season.....all Wednesdayites from that season look away now....

Don't tell me you weren't warned! There is a helpline available!

Guest East_Dene_Owl

I thought it was a bad year, but not quite as bad as this.....Here are the grim details of the 74-5 season.....all Wednesdayites from that season look away now....

Don't tell me you weren't warned! There is a helpline available!

In that cup game against Chelsea we were 2-0 up with about 20 minutes to go.

The same here....no matter how bad it gets we always go back. Even though it was a bad time, it still felt as though they were heroes and we look back with blue and white coloured spectacles. Eric Potts, Brian Joicey, John Holsgrove, Colin Harvey etc etc all famous owls.

..i loved going back then...home and away....the football was secondary..actually it had to be we were so fookin' shockingly bad...lol

I agree with that - it was the best of times and the worst of times.

There were occasions in that era where we stopped in the Gate until half time - the football always seemed to look better through the haze!

Football was such that, at that time, that the optimistic of us always thought that a couple of decent signings would make us world beaters no matter how much we were in fact sliding downwards.

An everlasting memory for me was a friend of ours literally being tied to the crush barriers with scarves to stop him leaving at half-time when he'd had enough.

Back home to our local after the match to discuss what was needed to put things right with no recollection the next day.

I agree with that - it was the best of times and the worst of times.

There were occasions in that era where we stopped in the Gate until half time - the football always seemed to look better through the haze!

Football was such that, at that time, that the optimistic of us always thought that a couple of decent signings would make us world beaters no matter how much we were in fact sliding downwards.

An everlasting memory for me was a friend of ours literally being tied to the crush barriers with scarves to stop him leaving at half-time when he'd had enough.

Back home to our local after the match to discuss what was needed to put things right with no recollection the next day.

:laugh:

Great post Eric.