Why do we have so few black and mixed race supporters?

Think the answer probably lies in the areas of the city (and surrounding suburbs) where we traditionally draw our support from. Maybe there just isn't a very large number of coloured/asian people in those areas?

We need to round up a load of Asians, somalians and meercats in Sheffield before the next match and force them into the wedge next to the away supporters.

I'm sure it would make us feel more enriched with the diversity and vibrancy from them.

We could hug them on the way out and beg them to come again too!

They wouldn't come back.

They'd say they would bit it would feel dead awkward and then they wouldn't.

Edited by Tasmanian Masked Owl

Just checked the ethnic makeup of Sheffield and various surrounding cities. Sheffield is 84% White British, just 3% African or West Indian & about 8% Asian, other cities in Yorkshire (Bradford excepted) and the North East have a similar ethnic make-up (80-90% White British). Travel down to the Midlands and the figures change dramatically (Birmingham only 57% White British, Leicester just 50%).

If Wednesday (or for that matter Leeds, Hull, Newcastle etc) have a lack of supporters from ethnic minorities it is purely down to the fact that there really aren't many people of that group in the area, especially when you consider that for some reason football just doesn't seem to figure in the Asian sporting tradition.

Just checked the ethnic makeup of Sheffield and various surrounding cities. Sheffield is 84% White British, just 3% African or West Indian & about 8% Asian, other cities in Yorkshire (Bradford excepted) and the North East have a similar ethnic make-up (80-90% White British). Travel down to the Midlands and the figures change dramatically (Birmingham only 57% White British, Leicester just 50%).

If Wednesday (or for that matter Leeds, Hull, Newcastle etc) have a lack of supporters from ethnic minorities it is purely down to the fact that there really aren't many people of that group in the area, especially when you consider that for some reason football just doesn't seem to figure in the Asian sporting tradition.

That doesn't really stack up tbh

What percentage of black footballers are thee in the leagues?

Surely it should be roughly similar going by your logic.

Seems a reasonable theory if the fugures are correct.

Surprised at you Scram you normally look into things a bit deeper than that. On the basis of what you posted most spectators shouldn't even be English because the players certainly aren't!

Out of the 25 players in our first team squad, 10 are English, 2 Irish, 3 Scottish and the rest from all over the place!

The sample is totally unrepresentative anyway as I can't think of a single one of them that is even from Sheffield!

The figures I gave for ethnicity were for Sheffield and other places such as Hull, Leeds, Newcastle. In the midlands as I pointed out the picture is different. Maybe the midlands clubs fan bases reflect that difference.

Edited by Utah Owl

According to Wikipedia, the ethnic make up of the UK is 87.1% White, 3% Black, 7% Asian, 2% Mixed Race 0.9% other, so at first glance, Football as a sport is top heavy with black players if they make up thirty percent of the professionals. The reason the percentage is so high in the professional game may be down to one of several factors i.e.:

1) Physiologically they are just better athletes

2) It is seen by the respective community as a good way for them to better themselves

3) The figures are highly distorted because of the number of "foreign" players in the game and therefore is not a representative sample (for example only about 33% of players in the EPL are British)

So given the above, to expect the overall fan base to reflect anything other than the national (or local) figures is surely unrealistic?

In addition, assuming that most of the foreign players return home at the end of their careers it probably goes some considerable way (although not entirely) to explain why there are so few Black managers in the English game.

Guest Ryan Rye

"Ya black get" is an old barnsley saying I believe nothing racial in it. It stinks how you can't say coloured or half cast, whay if you call them a monkey ? Not to mention like most black guys say "my ******" we are so protective of blacks Asian Muslims etc... but we can get called what the duck we like and that's fine really wee wees me off like you wouldn't believe

"Ya black get" is an old barnsley saying I believe nothing racial in it. It stinks how you can't say coloured or half cast, whay if you call them a monkey ? Not to mention like most black guys say "my ******" we are so protective of blacks Asian Muslims etc... but we can get called what the duck we like and that's fine really wee wees me off like you wouldn't believe

roger off,

That's all.

The levels of ignorance of some people is astounding

It's not really possible to accurately and directly compare the percentage of black footballers to the local native ethnic population though, given that a fair proportion of them are from overseas and are effectively just working here. Do we know if they're included in the figures or not? Of our own black contingent only Palmer and Coke are native British and Semedo, Drenthe, Helan, Dielna are foreigners.